Hyundai in talks with Apple to produce 'Apple Car'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Why not Hyundai? All iPhones are made in China and does that mean they are low quality?
  • Reply 62 of 65
    chasm said:
    Exactly as I predicted: Apple car TECHNOLOGY in a car produced by one of the big players.
    Sorry, not agree! Remember Apple’s filosofie?:
    “The software and the hardware has always to be self developed!”
    Otherwise they will be like Microsoft or Google: Smartphones which are inside with iOS and outside are?...........never mind.
    This is not Apple!
    caladanian
  • Reply 63 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,801member
    qwerty52 said:
    chasm said:
    Exactly as I predicted: Apple car TECHNOLOGY in a car produced by one of the big players.
    Sorry, not agree! Remember Apple’s filosofie?:
    “The software and the hardware has always to be self developed!”
    Otherwise they will be like Microsoft or Google: Smartphones which are inside with iOS and outside are?...........never mind.
    This is not Apple!
    I haven't participated in the discussions on the Apple Car because I don't drive and my knowledge of car manufacturing isn't great.

My work though has taken me into some of the companies that produce components for the automobile industry.

I think the term 'self developed' is open to fairly wide interpretation. Famously, the first iPod was supposedly made almost entirely of off the shelf components. 

All of Apple's products contain a huge amount of off the shelf products or base products which have been customised to Apple's needs. Apple will also develop some components itself. 

Producing a whole car from scratch would be a tall order for Apple. Providing support for it and manufacturing would be equally difficult (supposing the release isn't limited in some way to a specific region or vehicle category). 

Being an early adopter of a new Mac, iPhone or iPad is one thing. Splashing out on a first generation Apple car produced in-house would be a leap of great faith (again, I'm such a release would be a normal release and not some kind of special leasing agreement etc) 

Apple will also be entering a consolidated market in terms of hardware. On the software side the software vendors who are entering the market are offering 'platforms' which manufacturers can choose to integrate into their designs.

There is also the aspect of how autonomous cars will interact with their surroundings. Cars will have to 'communicate' with other cars and road infrastructure. These aspects may require different protocols for different markets. China is already implementing some of these aspects and China will be (actually already is) a key market for EVs with autonomous capacity.

Taking all that into account, to me, it doesn't seem unreasonable that Apple could 'develop' a solution based on someone else's platform. 
  • Reply 64 of 65
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,477member
    chasm said:
    That's what I believe would be the best combination, give Apple the fastest time to market, and, coupled with the right partner, provide an immediate access to a worldwide customer base. I don't know why anyone would view Hyundai Motors (which also owns Kia) as a less than stellar car builder. Hyundai Motors has enormous manufacturing expertise and worldwide presence, coming in only behind Toyota and Volkswagen. South Korea punches way above its weight when it comes to manufacturing capability and capacity. Building cars requires manufacturing clout. Apple needs a partner that has successfully proven themselves in every market that they've gone after. 

I'm not saying that Hyundai is the only possible partner for Apple. There are a number of Chinese auto companies on the rise, ones that are already selling US and European auto branded products around the world, including North America. It's difficult to look at past partnerships, like GM and Toyota (NUMMI), Ford/Mazda/Volvo, or Daimler/Chrysler to speculate about the partnering dynamics because Apple, as a partner in the mix, has zero domain expertise in auto manufacturing. Apple does have enormous domain expertise in technology and customer experience, and modern cars have become more about these qualities.

For Apple to be successful as a car builder while getting their brand, Apple, front and center in the arrangement, they are going to need a strong manufacturing partner who is willing to deliver their best stuff while at the same time ceding name recognition and a place in the market to Apple, while accepting their role as the behind-the-scenes manufacturing partner. Who do you think would be more willing to assume this type of arrangement BMW, Mercedes, or Hyundai? I'm thinking Hyundai, but I could be wrong. When it comes to just the Apple technology with brands like BMW, Mercedes, and other big brands, I'd be more inclined to see Apple more as a technology supplier to augment existing brands, much like Dolby logos appearing on various manufacturers products, e.g., a BMW 4 series with an Apple logo to signify the set of cool tech features that Apple provides. The half-hearted adoption of Apple CarPlay by several car makers gives me pause about this latter approach.
    qwerty52
  • Reply 65 of 65
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    Tesla can buy any car manufacturers w their $
    No other car manufacturer would sell to Tesla. Tesla is crack for the current crop of investors. Smart companies ain't going to sell to them.  
    edited January 2021