iPad mini with 8.4-inch display and narrower frame coming in March, report claims

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
The next generation of the iPad mini will feature a bigger display and a design inspired by the 2019 iPad Air, according to a new report.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Japanese site Mac Otakara reports that the "iPad mini 6" will debut in March 2021, citing sources within Apple's supply chain in China.

The new iPad mini will feature a larger 8.4-inch display rather than the 7.9-inch screen in past models. It's expected to retain Touch ID and a Lightning port in the traditional locations, but it could feature a narrower frame like the iPad Air 3 from 2019.

That echoes another recent report from Mac Otakara that the 9th-generation iPad model would be inspired by the 2019 iPad Air but would otherwise feature few major design changes.

Thus is not the first time that a screen size change for the iPad mini has been rumored. Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast back in 2020 that Apple would release an iPad mini model in the first half of 2021 with a display between 8.5 inches and 9 inches.

The current iPad mini 5 model was released in March 2019 with few changes from the past iteration beyond an A12 Bionic processor and Apple Pencil support. Although short on changes, the iPad mini 5 was Apple's first refresh of the device since 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ...Apple won't make an iPad Mini Pro because they know that's what the bulk of users want and it would dent profits. What happened to "the customer is always right"? It's always about $$$$ with Apple.
    williamlondonharry wildOutdoorAppDeveloper
  • Reply 2 of 24
    revanmjrevanmj Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    When they will finally replace damn Lightning port with USB-C. I want to finally get rid of separate charger/converters ...
    davgreg
  • Reply 3 of 24
    It is about time!  Hope Apple makes it a premium model too.  I hate buying a new Mini but it still has inside 2-4 year old components and then they put in a one year old SoC to hide the older components. Apple should at least add additional speakers to the Mini to modernize the audio output.   Come on Apple, the Mini is not price sensitive!  Price it if you have to with that of the  iPad Pro 11”.
    edited January 2021 Detnator
  • Reply 4 of 24
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,727member
    Disappointing, if true.  I was hoping for the iPad mini 6 to adopt the iPad Air 4 design language with TouchID in the power button.
    watto_cobradewmeMisterKit
  • Reply 5 of 24
    The styling (and functionality) of the new Air would be very appealing in the mini size, and would go very well with an iPhone mini, can't wait to see. No matter, the mini is always such a sweet little product, but a refresh would be most welcome.
    watto_cobraraoulduke42Detnator
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Booooo. Make the mini new-Air or Pro-like. Of all the iPads this wee one would benefit the most from the increased display size to device size ratio of the new-Air/iPad Pro design. And yeah, Lightning connector? No bueno. USB-C is so much more capable.
    canukstormboboliciousharry wildfirelockdewmeDetnator
  • Reply 7 of 24
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,153member
    Booooo. Make the mini new-Air or Pro-like. Of all the iPads this wee one would benefit the most from the increased display size to device size ratio of the new-Air/iPad Pro design. And yeah, Lightning connector? No bueno. USB-C is so much more capable.
    I have been waiting on the same and could not agree more... iPad Mini (Air?) + iPad Mini Pro... :)
    raoulduke42harry wildDetnator
  • Reply 8 of 24
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 552member
    The second Apple releases an iPad Air mini they have my order. Until then...
    canukstormraoulduke42right_said_fredwatto_cobradewmeDetnator
  • Reply 9 of 24
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Just make that mini ipad screen edge to edge, rest whatever!.
    watto_cobrafred1
  • Reply 10 of 24
    I would have been super excited about this new iPad Mini about two years ago. Apple has chosen to neglect this iPad model to its extreme detriment. The iPad Mini was the perfect screen for drone flying but it always had an underpowered CPU and it overheated when used outside in the sun. The screen was never bright enough for outdoor use without a sunshade. Apple could have designed the iPad Mini as the iPad you use when outdoors or on the move as it slips easily into any bag, but no. Apple saw the iPad Mini as a lower cost entry level iPad for those that could not afford one with a larger screen. Dumb dumb dumb.
    canukstormharry wildwilliamlondonraoulduke42
  • Reply 11 of 24
    It is about time!  Hope Apple makes it a premium model too.  I hate buying a new Mini but it still has inside 2-4 year old components and then they put in a one year old SoC to hide the older components. Apple should at least add additional speakers to the Mini to modernize the audio output.   Come on Apple, the Mini is not price sensitive!  Price it if you have to with that of the  iPad Pro 11”.
    👍👍👍👍👍 and in the latest processing chip and make it micro LED.
    harry wild
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,501member
    Disappointing, if true.  I was hoping for the iPad mini 6 to adopt the iPad Air 4 design language with TouchID in the power button.
    I agree - in theory. My only concern is the hand feel after they’ve bumped the display out to 8.4 inches. I can actually hold the current iPad Mini comfortably in one hand, both in portrait and landscape orientation, with the latter taking advantage of the thicker bezels. 

I really hope they keep the overall chassis dimensions the same or slightly smaller than the current iPad Mini, which obviously would require slimmer bezels.  But some bezel may be necessary for maintaining the proper ergonomics. 

I’m super excited about the notion of an updated iPad Mini but my decision to purchase one will obviously depend on how well the overall execution matches my usage requirements. I’d prefer Face ID but Touch ID in the power button would be okay. 
    Detnator
  • Reply 13 of 24
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,121member
    The Mini is by far my favorite Apple product and I’d love to see a version that’s like a mini version of the Pro - minimal bezels, no button, and USB-C. I guess I’ll have to wait a few more years before that happens. This predicted version just doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade. 
    At least my Mini 4 is still going strong. 
    edited January 2021 raoulduke42Detnator
  • Reply 14 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,682member
    I'm with you. I'd be surprised if it didn't follow the iPad Air 4 design.
    Detnatorwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 24
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    ...Apple won't make an iPad Mini Pro because they know that's what the bulk of users want and it would dent profits. What happened to "the customer is always right"? It's always about $$$$ with Apple.
    What makes you say that? I wouldn’t find an iPad mini Pro as useful as the 11” iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard.
    dewmewilliamlondoncitylightsapple
  • Reply 16 of 24
    It is about time!  Hope Apple makes it a premium model too.  I hate buying a new Mini but it still has inside 2-4 year old components and then they put in a one year old SoC to hide the older components…  Come on Apple, the Mini is not price sensitive!  Price it if you have to with that of the  iPad Pro 11”.
    Every iPad Mini has had the latest SoC at time-of-release. 

It would be an epic bummer if it's truly "Air 3 inspired" (whatever that means), but I'm actually optimistic that it'll use the Air/Pro "squared-edge" design instead, due to the jump in screen size. They could have a bigger screen and the same form factor if it's squared-edge, TouchID on the rim. Even with thinner bezels, an Air 3 design would necessitate a bigger device. A "bigger Mini" makes no sense.

Also, for as long as they keep selling older round-edge iPads, they have to keep making the Pencil 1 with that stupid plug-in charger. And all the round-edge iPads look old. I just don't see it.

Now how about some MAGSAFE on iPads hm?
    Detnatordewme
  • Reply 17 of 24
    What an idiotic thing to say.  

If it’s what the “bulk of users want”, enough for those users to be willing to pay an appropriate price for it (one that includes Apple’s typical margins) then why would making it contradict the $$$$...?

Unless you mean that what the “bulk of users want” is all the pro tech in a cheap iPad... then no... why should Apple make that and lose money?

I’m one who would love an iPad mini with the pro or new air design - and I’d buy it at Apple’s typical pricing level in a heartbeat. I’m just hoping that their foray back into mini phones - and that new iPhone mini’s apparent success so far - suggests that there are enough people that want this. But if they’re not making it it’s because I’m in a minority and there just aren’t enough people that want it, at any price.

You seem to think Apple doesn’t have any right to make money.  Sigh.  Go to business school or heck just read a book or two and learn the difference between charities, non-profit, and for-profit businesses (guess which one Apple is). Then maybe save yourself the embarrassment of spouting this rubbish in public. 
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 18 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,501member
    jdb8167 said:
    What makes you say that? I wouldn’t find an iPad mini Pro as useful as the 11” iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard.
    I think you’re right. The iPad Mini is somewhat of a niche product, but it fits some use cases extremely well. The mini serves extremely well as a walk-around mobile interaction terminal for touch based apps. It’s also an excellent content consumption device where its small size and light weight are appreciated. Of course you can use a Mini for production work, even with Apple Pencil support, but the small screen is going to be a compromise. Any keyboard cover that stays within the Mini’s size constraints is going to be quite cramped. 

In my opinion the Pro iPads are devices that can serve as the primary personal computer for a lot, but not all, users without compromising  performance or features, especially when equipped with a keyboard and pointing device. Even though the iPad Mini is a perfect fit for some applications I just don’t see it being very many people’s primary computer, aka, “PC replacement.” In fact, since the iPad Mini is such a niche product it’s actually hard to justify its price if you don’t need to fill the niches the Mini serves so well. The current base iPad is a much more versatile machine at a lower price point. 
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Eric_WVGG said:
    It is about time!  Hope Apple makes it a premium model too.  I hate buying a new Mini but it still has inside 2-4 year old components and then they put in a one year old SoC to hide the older components…  Come on Apple, the Mini is not price sensitive!  Price it if you have to with that of the  iPad Pro 11”.
    Every iPad Mini has had the latest SoC at time-of-release. 

It would be an epic bummer if it's truly "Air 3 inspired" (whatever that means), but I'm actually optimistic that it'll use the Air/Pro "squared-edge" design instead, due to the jump in screen size. They could have a bigger screen and the same form factor if it's squared-edge, TouchID on the rim. Even with thinner bezels, an Air 3 design would necessitate a bigger device. A "bigger Mini" makes no sense.

Also, for as long as they keep selling older round-edge iPads, they have to keep making the Pencil 1 with that stupid plug-in charger. And all the round-edge iPads look old. I just don't see it.

Now how about some MAGSAFE on iPads hm?
    Really? iPad Mini 3 and Mini 4 says Hi.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    davendaven Posts: 706member
    fred1 said:
    At least my Mini 4 is still going strong. 
    World’s worst pickup line at a bar. /s
    razorpitdewme