Pioneer introduces new modular in-dash receiver with wireless Apple Carplay

Posted:
in General Discussion
Pioneer's new DMH-WC5700NEX receiver works with wireless Apple CarPlay and has a wider range of compatible vehicles than previous models.

The new Pioneer NEX receiver with wireless Apple CarPlay
The new Pioneer NEX receiver with wireless Apple CarPlay

Wireless CarPlay continues to make its way into mainstream vehicles and receivers. The latest addition from Pioneer will bring the technology to your car, even if you're dealing with limited installation space.

The DMH-WC5700NEX, is in the company's NEX series of in-dash receivers includes Alexa and Android Auto alongside CarPlay for maximum compatibility with your tech ecosystem. It has an integrated 6.8-inch touchscreen, which the company says is ideal for replacing older receiver units.

The Pioneer NEX brand focuses on disconnecting the monitor from the chassis for maximum instal flexibility. As part of the NEX line, the DMH-WC5700NEX can be installed with one of two optional extension cables run to the display, rather than cramming it all into the dash.

The new Pioneer Receiver has Hi-Res audio playback, FLAC support, a 13-band equalizer, rear-camera input, 4V RCA preamps, compatibility with SiriusXM with additional purchase, Bluetooth, and even HDMI.

A full compatibility list has not been provided. Ted Cardenas, Vice President of marketing for Pioneer, promises compatibly with most late-model auto models.

"With the DMH-WC5700NEX, Pioneer provides an automotive upgrade solution for many different vehicles that typically have been extremely restrictive or even impossible with regard to the installation of an aftermarket in-dash receiver, including several popular late-model Chevrolet vehicles such as the Silverado and Camaro," he said. "With this solution, owners of these vehicles now have an option for adding Amazon Alexa, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and more to enhance and upgrade their driving experience."

Pioneer did not announce a price for the DMH-WC5700NEX. It will go on sale in summer 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Just ordered the CPLAY2Air wireless CarPlay dongle, on the recommendation of AI users from the last discussion. Looking forward to checking it out.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I would really like to see a nice (as I see it) single DIN equivalent to this...  in both knob-less and dual-knob.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Pioneer HU's are great for ApplePlay - sadly, Pioneer only ever do firmware updates for about 1-2 years then nothing.
    I've got two of the top units, and I just wish they would commit to longer support windows...
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I’ll have to check the dimensions to see if that display would work with the pop up navigation display on the old Mazda I’m fixing up for my kid. This is an intriguing development.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 617member
    Pioneer HU's are great for ApplePlay - sadly, Pioneer only ever do firmware updates for about 1-2 years then nothing.
    I've got two of the top units, and I just wish they would commit to longer support windows...
    Apple is the only company that has ever been committed to firmware/OS upgrades for much more than 1 year. There are others, but no seriousness to it is ever given.

One has to keep in mind that firmware updates are for fixes and not enhancements. Prior to Apple the idea of upgrading a product to include new features was not even a consideration. We have all been spoiled.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jimh2 said:
    Apple is the only company that has ever been committed to firmware/OS upgrades for much more than 1 year. There are others, but no seriousness to it is ever given.

One has to keep in mind that firmware updates are for fixes and not enhancements. Prior to Apple the idea of upgrading a product to include new features was not even a consideration. We have all been spoiled.
    I would just like to suggest your statement (irrespective of its voracity) refers to consumer products only.  To the commercial, industrial and military markets this is nothing new.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    longpath said:
    I’ll have to check the dimensions to see if that display would work with the pop up navigation display on the old Mazda I’m fixing up for my kid. This is an intriguing development.
    It is a double or single DIN in dash replacement. With an Aerpro or similar dash fascia kit it will fit any old Mazda with an in dash entertainment unit (circa 2013 or older). It won’t work in any car which has a display sticking above the dash as the entertainment systems and car functions are too integrated across the dash.

I have a 2011 BL Mazda 3 and installed a kenwood wireless carplay double DIN unit similar to this in it. Absolutely fabulous and hard to go back to a wired set up. It has had two years of annual firmware updates so far, most recently October 2020.

for more current car models I think you could look at a separate display with integrated carplay to put beside the existing entertainment unit display. Like the one made by Coral Vision. Here is a review. It can be mounted on the windscreen even, the wireless carplay unit $100 more than the wired one at $325. It plugs into your existing stereo through aux. would work with old single DIN stereos as well like my sister’s old 2000 Audi TT coupe.

I plan to use a carplay2air or carplaylink dongle in my new Santa Fe when it arrives. The higher spec model doesn’t have wireless carplay while the lower spec one does! Weird.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    This is a no-go for me.

It's an LCD screen, which means it there will be no contrast, not readable in even moderate light. Pioneer does offer backlit LED touch screens. These devices are in the $1200 range. 
    watto_cobra