Qualcomm's latest under-display fingerprint sensor is 50% faster

Posted:
in General Discussion
Qualcomm at CES 2021 debuted a new under-display fingerprint sensor expected to launch on Android flagships -- and possibly an iPhone -- in 2021.

Credit: Qualcomm

The new 3D Sonic Sensor is 50% faster and 77% larger than Qualcomm's previous in-screen fingerprint reader. It measures 8mm x 8mm, compared to the previous generation's 4mm x 9mm.

Qualcomm says it expects the new generation of 3D Sonic Sensor to start appearing in high-end Android flagships as soon as the first half of 2021, The Verge reported on Monday.

The announcement of the new reader comes amid rumors that Apple will bring its Touch ID biometric system back to the iPhone lineup sometime in 2021.

In August 2019, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the 2021 iPhone, possibly the "iPhone 13," could sport both Face ID and Touch ID. He also indicated that Qualcomm would be the likely supplier of the fingerprint reading technology.

As recently as October 2020, a leaker with a reliable track record said that under-display Touch ID on an iPhone is still on the horizon.

Having both Face ID and Touch ID on an iPhone could offer a number of benefits for users, including more secure dual-authentic requirements and an alternative unlocking process for when a user's face is obscured by a face mask.

Rumors of an iPhone with display-embedded Touch ID first surfaced prior to the release of the iPhone X. While Apple has switched to Face ID on its flagship smartphones, Touch ID is still present on lower-cost iPhone models and iPad devices.

Since the debut of the iPhone X, there has also been a steady stream of patent applications suggesting that Apple is still working on an under-display fingerprint reading technology.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I have a couple year old iPad Pro. The fingerprint reader works half to two thirds of the time. At least once a day it fails enough I have to enter my passcode. That’s not counting when I have water, or dust, or lotion on my hands and it just refuses to recognize my finger at all.  FaceID on my 11 though is just flawless. So sure if they want to put the fingerprint reader under the screen that’s fine. I’m sure some people will jump at it. I’m going to stick to FaceID.
    mark fearingwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    DAalseth said:
    I have a couple year old iPad Pro. The fingerprint reader works half to two thirds of the time. At least once a day it fails enough I have to enter my passcode. That’s not counting when I have water, or dust, or lotion on my hands and it just refuses to recognize my finger at all.  FaceID on my 11 though is just flawless. So sure if they want to put the fingerprint reader under the screen that’s fine. I’m sure some people will jump at it. I’m going to stick to FaceID.
    I agree. I don't quite understand why anyone would want Touch ID at this point. Face ID will only get better. And I would guess it'll be on the iMac soon enough too. It seems really silly to be investing in touch ID phone tech at this point. WHat's next, floppy disks for 'small file, portable storage.'?
    DAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    I would like TouchID on my phone.  FaceID is great but too often I have to open my phone with the dang mask on and I end up having to put the passcode in. And also I pick up the phone in the morning off my nightstand and it misreads my face and won’t show me the notifications.  I have to put the phone back to sleep (screen sleep by pushing the power button on the side) and then wake it back up.  Having TouchID as a backup would be great.  
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    DAalseth said:
    I agree. I don't quite understand why anyone would want Touch ID at this point. Face ID will only get better. And I would guess it'll be on the iMac soon enough too. It seems really silly to be investing in touch ID phone tech at this point. WHat's next, floppy disks for 'small file, portable storage.'?
    Apple doesn't use Qualcomm tech for TouchID. I should point out that my under-the-screen fingerprint scanner on my Samsung Galaxy Note S20 Ultra works fine. Great even. Fast and accurate. 
  • Reply 5 of 19
    KTRKTR Posts: 279member
    Qualcomm at CES 2021 debuted a new under-display fingerprint sensor expected to launch on Android flagships -- and possibly an iPhone -- in 2021.

The new 3D Sonic Sensor is 50% faster and 77% larger than Qualcomm's previous in-screen fingerprint reader. It measures 8mm x 8mm, compared to the previous generation's 4mm x 9mm.

Qualcomm says it expects the new generation of 3D Sonic Sensor to start appearing in high-end Android flagships as soon as the first half of 2021, The Verge reported on Monday.

The announcement of the new reader comes amid rumors that Apple will bring its Touch ID biometric system back to the iPhone lineup sometime in 2021.

In August 2019, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted that the 2021 iPhone, possibly the "iPhone 13," could sport both Face ID and Touch ID. He also indicated that Qualcomm would be the likely supplier of the fingerprint reading technology.

As recently as October 2020, a leaker with a reliable track record said that under-display Touch ID on an iPhone is still on the horizon.

Having both Face ID and Touch ID on an iPhone could offer a number of benefits for users, including more secure dual-authentic requirements and an alternative unlocking process for when a user's face is obscured by a face mask.

Rumors of an iPhone with display-embedded Touch ID first surfaced prior to the release of the iPhone X. While Apple has switched to Face ID on its flagship smartphones, Touch ID is still present on lower-cost iPhone models and iPad devices.

Since the debut of the iPhone X, there has also been a steady stream of patent applications suggesting that Apple is still working on an under-display fingerprint reading technology.
    I think they should combine both technologies, and invent something new and give it a different name.  Just my opinion
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I don't quite understand why anyone would want Touch ID at this point.
    I prefer touch ID because by the time I bring my phone up to my face it has ALREADY read my thumb and on the home screen.

This instant access 100+ times a day - not to mention authenticating Wallet transactions, especially when wearing a mask - makes it better.

muthuk_vanalingampmcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Face ID is natural for laptops, Touch ID is more natural for handheld devices. Apple’s got it backwards. 
    pmcrattlhedjasonfjrezwits
  • Reply 8 of 19
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    DAalseth said:
    FaceID is useless for me because I have a face mask on about 12 hours a day. It’s pretty much always putting my passcode in now. Slowing down the process. Not to mention using some apps makes it cumbersome now. I’d love to have TouchID under the screen right now. Or a least somewhere. 
    muthuk_vanalingamrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    The problem is the masks. You need to remove the mask for FaceID to work. 

I get that FaceID is more secure, but if people start turning it off so they can buy stuff in shops, then we need a rethink. 
    muthuk_vanalingamrezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    pmcpmc Posts: 10member
    paraeeker said:
    Face ID is natural for laptops, Touch ID is more natural for handheld devices. Apple’s got it backwards. 
    Yes yes yes
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    I've had a strong preference for Touch ID over the years, and still do. I also have no desire or reason to explain why to somebody who's basically clueless and needs an explanation to comprehend.

That said, I have found the Face ID of my 12 mini to work fairly well. However it doesn't work with my sunglasses or a mask, so it's hopeless when wearing both.

I've also noticed even without a mask and sunglasses, Face ID more seems to require a passcode more frequently than Apple's algorithm for authenticating Touch ID with a passcode. That may because of more failed attempts when I pick up the phone while reclining or after raising my sunglasses or lowering my mask.

Having the phone automatically revert to passcode is reasonably acceptable, but slow. Having both Face ID and Touch ID would give me the best of both and the worst of neither. Sunglasses will be with me to the end of my days, and masks... Maybe not much less so.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,665member
    Long overdue and welcome if Apple includes another biometrics option.

FaceID has its limitations (masks, twins, people that just happen to look alike - and it has never been able to 'learn' my wife's face with glasses). TouchID has some other limitations (gloves, etc).

Including two (or even three like Bone VoiceID) would give most people a satisfactory experience. 
    edited January 2021 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 19
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    paraeeker said:
    The reason FaceID exists in handhelds is to reduce the chin and increase surface to screen ratio. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    paraeeker said:
    The reason FaceID exists in handhelds is to reduce the chin and increase surface to screen ratio. 
    But now we have that HIDEOUS notch! /s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I switch to my sunglasses in the car or when out and about, when in the car my iPhone X has no problem with Face ID and that is with the iPhone in a cradle about a foot away from my face. Now mask are a different story as everyone knows...
    What type of sunglasses are you wearing?

macgui said:
    I've had a strong preference for Touch ID over the years, and still do. I also have no desire or reason to explain why to somebody who's basically clueless and needs an explanation to comprehend.

That said, I have found the Face ID of my 12 mini to work fairly well. However it doesn't work with my sunglasses or a mask, so it's hopeless when wearing both.

I've also noticed even without a mask and sunglasses, Face ID more seems to require a passcode more frequently than Apple's algorithm for authenticating Touch ID with a passcode. That may because of more failed attempts when I pick up the phone while reclining or after raising my sunglasses or lowering my mask.

Having the phone automatically revert to passcode is reasonably acceptable, but slow. Having both Face ID and Touch ID would give me the best of both and the worst of neither. Sunglasses will be with me to the end of my days, and masks... Maybe not much less so.

• Reply 16 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    DAalseth said:
    Masks. That is the only reason I personally would like the option again. I love Face ID as well, but with masks it gets a bit annoying. I have commented here before that I think the fingerprint sensor in the power button like the iPad Air would be perfect.With raise to wake it could be almost seamless to open your phone as you rest your thumb on the power button while wearing a mask.

I have never used the newest iPad air so I honestly don't know how well it works.. @DAalseth made some valid points.. when I was using the 10.5 iPad pro I was in the habit of wiping the fingerprint reader multiple times a day just to avoid the failure that was almost inevitable from oils on my hand, or moisture or whatever else if I didn't keep it clean.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    chadbag said:
    I would like TouchID on my phone.  FaceID is great but too often I have to open my phone with the dang mask on and I end up having to put the passcode in. And also I pick up the phone in the morning off my nightstand and it misreads my face and won’t show me the notifications.  I have to put the phone back to sleep (screen sleep by pushing the power button on the side) and then wake it back up.  Having TouchID as a backup would be great.  
    You don't have to sleep/wake it, just swipe up from the bottom.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 257member
    Because masks are the only reason to use a fingerprint over a face? Makes it sound like Apple is planing for the next pandemic, or this one won’t ever end.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    sbdude said:
    Because masks are the only reason to use a fingerprint over a face? Makes it sound like Apple is planing for the next pandemic, or this one won’t ever end.
    Masks..helmets anything that obstructs the face enough for face ID not to work. It would be nice to have a secondary way of opening the phone if face ID isn't able to open for whatever reason. This rumor of touch id coming back under the screen has been around long before the COVID-19 pandemic.

muthuk_vanalingam