CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock has Thunderbolt 4 and 94W PD charging

Posted:
in General Discussion
The CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock has Thunderbolt 4 but is backwards compatible for use with modern Macs and even your iPad Pro.

CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock with Thunderbolt 4
CalDigit USB-C HDMI Dock with Thunderbolt 4

The dock has 10 ports and the latest specifications to ensure it is both future-proofed and widely compatible. The Thunderbolt 4 port will operate as a 40GB/s connection on modern Macs and a 10GB/s connection to an iPad Pro.

CalDigit says the dock will work with any device rated for Thunderbolt 3 due to the backwards compatibility of Thunderbolt 4. You'll be able to use this with an M1 based Mac as well, but will be limited to only one of the HDMI ports.

When you connect a device to the dock it will charge at up to 94W, which is just below the 100W max charge rate of the 16-inch MacBook Pro. Each USB-A port can provide 7.5W of charging to anything connected so you can use the dock to charge multiple devices as needed.

The dock is small at only .93 lbs and is less than an inch thick. It measures 8.43 inches wide and 3.15 inches deep.

Ports in the dock

• 1x Thunderbolt 4 Type-C port
  • 2x HDMI 2.0b ports
  • 3x USB 3.2 Gen. 1 Type-A ports
  • 1x USB 3.2 Gen. 2 Type-C port
  • SD Card Reader
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 3.5mm Analog Audio
CalDigit announced its new dock during CES 2021 and it is available to order on their website for $219.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    No such thing as Thunderbolt 4. USB4 may include TB3, which is 40Gbps not GBps. Big difference.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    The post confuses gigabytes with gigabytes and should use "Gb/s" rather than "GB/s"
    appneckfastasleepjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    rob53 said:
    No such thing as Thunderbolt 4. USB4 may include TB3, which is 40Gbps not GBps. Big difference.  

Huh? There is Thunderbolt 4. TB4 allows the use of a hub to connect to several devices which TB3 could not. 

fastasleeprazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    rob53 said:
    I'll believe Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/upgrade-gaming-accessories-thunderbolt-4.html
    fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Still only one usbc port. Nonstarter. 
    watto_cobracyberzombie
  • Reply 6 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    The Thunderbolt 4 port will operate as a 40GB/s connection on modern Macs and a 10GB/s connection to an iPad Pro.
    Ugh.

GB/s = GigaBYTES/second. Gb/s = GigaBITS/second. The latter is the correct one here. 
    jdb8167watto_cobracyberzombie
  • Reply 7 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Sammiemo said:
    The post confuses gigabytes with gigabytes and should use "Gb/s" rather than "GB/s"
    You confused me. You talking about bits and bytes?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Hard pass on Caldigit products. The haven't updated the Ethernet drivers for the "original" USB-C dock for Big Sur. It's now a paperweight for me. I bought it a little over a year ago. It looks like they stop supporting "old" products once their shiny new one is released.

• Reply 9 of 9
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    No more 1 gig ethernet, please. I already own their CalDigit TS3 Plus and desperately need something with 10G as I have 10G ethernet port on my Mac mini and iMac Pro and want a dock to support the same. Will audio line in support at least 24/96? 2x HDMIs welcome but 2x TB3 or TB4 would have been better as my both monitors only have TB3, no HDMI.
    edited January 2021