Scosche MagicMount series brings MagSafe charging to your car

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2021
The new Scosche iPhone car mounts integrate an Apple MagSafe Charger into classic mounting systems.

MagSafe MagicMount series by Scosche
MagSafe MagicMount series by Scosche

The MagSafe MagicMount series of chargers do not include Apple's MagSafe Charger, but does come bundled with a 20W USB-C car adapter. The MagSafe Charger slips into the mount and allows simple magnetic attachment of any iPhone 12 model.

Scosche announced three models: a Window/Dash mount, a cup holder mount, and a 4-in-1 kit. The first two are standard mounts without any flashy features.

The 4-in-1 kit has a Swing-Arm Dash and Vent mount and Lock-Nut Vent and Dash mount. This enables more control over where the MagSafe Charger is positioned and securely holds it in place.

The 20W USB-C Power Delivery Car adapter ensures full 12W MagSafe charging when in use.

The MagSafe MagicMount series ranges in prices from $29.99 to $39.99. Availability and release were not announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    How secure is this thing? Does it rely on the puck magnet to hold the phone in place?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kiehtan said:
    How secure is this thing? Does it rely on the puck magnet to hold the phone in place?
     The MagSafe MagicMount series of chargers do not include Apple's MagSafe Charger, but does come bundled with a 20W USB-C car adapter. The MagSafe Charger slips into the mount and allows simple magnetic attachment of any iPhone 12 model.”
    I think that’s what you’re looking for. Apologies if I misunderstood.
    kiehtanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Based off the images, it appears that it solely depends on the MagSafe Magnet to keep your phone in place 
    kiehtanwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Things like these will sell well this year—at least in Virginia. Since January 1 it’s been illegal to hold a phone while driving in the commonwealth. 
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 8
    longpath said:
    kiehtan said:
    “ The MagSafe MagicMount series of chargers do not include Apple's MagSafe Charger, but does come bundled with a 20W USB-C car adapter. The MagSafe Charger slips into the mount and allows simple magnetic attachment of any iPhone 12 model.”
    Partially. I haven't actually used a MagSafe puck yet so I don't know how strong the connection is. But I am curious to know if it holds securely enough to stay attached to the charger on bumpy roads--especially on a 12 MAX with a case.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    longpath said:
    kiehtan said:
     The MagSafe MagicMount series of chargers do not include Apple's MagSafe Charger, but does come bundled with a 20W USB-C car adapter. The MagSafe Charger slips into the mount and allows simple magnetic attachment of any iPhone 12 model.”

That's kind of awkwardly worded.  When I first read it I wondered if it charges the phone or not.   But, after looking at the pictures it is apparent that it does.   But how  does it charge if it doesn't use MagSafe?   I am guessing its a standard Qi charger.

Also:   I think a good design for these wireless holders would be a small tray on the bottom to support the phone from falling off when you hit a bump.  I would think this would greatly reduce any potential problems that way since the phone is most likely to get jarred loose in a downwards direction.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It does use MagSafe, you have to supply the MagSafe puck and fit it to the charger.

GeorgeBMac said:
    longpath said:
    kiehtan said:

That's kind of awkwardly worded.  When I first read it I wondered if it charges the phone or not.   But, after looking at the pictures it is apparent that it does.   But how  does it charge if it doesn't use MagSafe?   I am guessing its a standard Qi charger.

Also:   I think a good design for these wireless holders would be a small tray on the bottom to support the phone from falling off when you hit a bump.  I would think this would greatly reduce any potential problems that way since the phone is most likely to get jarred loose in a downwards direction.

• Reply 8 of 8
    The MagSafe charger will hold your iPhone 12 when in direct contact with the back in most situations. Don’t expect it to work off-roading or when hitting massive potholes though. And don’t rely on it with an aftermarket, full-back case without additional MagSafe mounting built in. It holds my 12 mini in every situation, with a Rhinoshield CrashGuard NX bumper and a vinyl sticker covering the back. But my MagSafe puck is attached to a $5 Scoche mount (original magnets removed) with VHB tape attached to the trim around my H3’s radio.  I have done a lot of off-roading and bounced mine all over the place. My mini hangs on tight, but my friend’s Pro and his wife’s Pro Max aren’t quite as secure. No cases at all on either of those pros since we were testing it. Neither hung on at all with Incipio Dual Pro cases and did fairly well with Peel cases.

I’m here because I hear this thing comes with a 20W charger, but it says it will charge at “full 12W.” I’m skeptical because with a 20W charger with the correct standard should deliver a 15W charge rate to all 12 series iPhones except the mini. I never cared for Scoche electronics so any input would be appreciated. Hope my comment helps those of you with mounting questions. One thing that irks me about this mount for the MagSafe puck is that the cord retainer looks like it will interfere with my bumper case if I want to rotate it sideways, where that shouldn’t be a problem with a MagSafe case or a naked phone.