Apple TV+ orders two-part biographical documentary about Oprah Winfrey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple has ordered a two-part biographical documentary about Oprah Winfrey for its Apple TV+ service, according to a new report.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The documentary will chronicle 25 years of American history through the lens of Winfrey, "who rose from humble roots to become a globally famous talk show host, producer, actress and philanthropist," Deadline reported.

The project will be headed by Academy Award winner Kevin MacDonald and Emmy-nominated Lisa Erspamer, who are both known for working on the biographic film "Whitney."

Deadline notes that Winfrey herself is a fan of that documentary, calling it "fearless" in a tweet to Erspamer in 2018. Erspamer previously produced "The Oprah Winfrey Show" between 1999 and 2009.

The documentary will join a growing slate of content that Apple is working on in partnership with Winfrey's Harpo. The two companies inked a multi-year deal back in 2018, and have produced shows such as "The Oprah Conversation," "Oprah's Book Club," and "Oprah Talks COVID-19."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Won’t be watching that. 
    razorpitelijahgfred1harry wildSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Apple's programming sounds a tad boring, overall. At least, the ones reported so far in AI

I truly hope there's more to the programming slate. 
    harry wildrazorpit
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ronnronn Posts: 654member
    Heads gonna explode!  :D

Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure there will be plenty of viewers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Apple's programming sounds a tad boring, overall. At least, the ones reported so far in AI

Have you even watched any of it? I've seen a lot of great content and still haven't gotten to half my list on ATV+.
    ronnBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member

jdgaz said:
    Won’t be watching that. 
    Nobody cares.
    ronnBeats
  • Reply 6 of 7

Have you even watched any of it? I've seen a lot of great content and still haven't gotten to half my list on ATV+.
    Yeah I have.  I sort of enjoyed 'Tehran', which has been their best show so far, but it was a 7/10 for me; it pales in comparison to the quality of similarly-themed The Bureau (Sundance Now, 9/10) and Fauda (Netflix 8/10). 

The 'Morning Show' was in the same league quality-wise as Tehran. 'See' was OK. I could go on...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Simple minds are easily entertained I guess.

That Small Planet or whatever its called is OK. And recently checked out Ted Lasso. Glad I watched a second episode by accident because the first episode did nothing to earn that viewing on its own.
    anantksundaram