Apple Car US production reportedly assigned to Hyundai subsidiary Kia

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    hentaiboy said:
    KIA is a bit downmarket for my taste, but I am sure Apple ran it by the Germans first, Japanese next, both of whom probably said "we don't want to be your Foxconn."

If so, that's a HUGE mistake on their parts. They're going to be relegated to the dung-heap of automotive history.
    What exactly are you smoking?

5 Biggest Car Companies by Revenue
    • #1 Toyota Motor Corp $248.6 billion
    • #2 Volkswagen AG $247.4 billion
    • #3 Daimler AG $174.6 billion
    • #4 Ford Motor Co $130.4 billion
    • #5 Honda Motor Co Ltd $120.7 billion
    Let’s see that list by EV revenues.  Because that’s where the world is going at an accelerating pace.  Let’s revisit the list in three years, then again in three more after that.  
    qwerty52
  • Reply 62 of 63
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    lkrupp said:
    Proposed models include Puma, Leopard, Mojave, Catalina, and the flagship of the line Big Sur which will have all the bells and whistles. Sure sounds better than Tesla’s S, X, Y, 3.
    That's not how Apple names their hardware.  It would be Apple Car, Apple Car 2, Apple Car 3, The new Apple Car, Apple Car, Apple Car, and Apple Car.
    Don’t forget the SUV model:

Apple Car Pro Max Suburban
  • Reply 63 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    KIA is a bit downmarket for my taste, but I am sure Apple ran it by the Germans first, Japanese next, both of whom probably said "we don't want to be your Foxconn."

If so, that's a HUGE mistake on their parts. They're going to be relegated to the dung-heap of automotive history.
    What is your logic behind that?

Everything we think we know about the Apple Car points to expensive technology. That puts the product into a niche right from the start. 

No car, electric, autonomous or otherwise can operate without connecting to its environment (other vehicles, road infrastructure, pedestrians...). Right now that connection is largely through the driver but more and more decisions will transition away from the driver. 

Apple is going to have to adapt to that requirement (along with legislative requirements on a per country basis) just like everyone else and compete on a level playing field.

It would be utterly crazy to think the biggest industry players haven't been working on autonomous driving (at all levels) for longer than Apple. Bosch alone has been working on the concept for four decades. 

EU and Japanese carmakers will have their own technologies but on top of that they also have access to other platforms which are also in development from vendors that do not actually sell cars themselves.

Of course those vendors also have the huge advantage of having access to their own manufacturing capacity, and in volume. 

This isn't the same as Kodak getting caught up in the film-to-digital switch or the compact camera to camera phone switch.