Apple releases second macOS Big Sur 11.2 release candidate

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Apple on Monday released the second release candidate version of its upcoming macOS Big Sur 11.2 update, days after the first RC and likely just ahead of a public launch.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple betas are available from the Apple Developer Center for participants in the Developer Beta program, though hardware already using beta software can also perform an over-the-air update. Public beta versions can be acquired from the Apple Beta Software Program site.

The second release candidate version comes about three days after Apple released the first RC build of macOS Big Sur 11.2. That version came after two previous beta builds, with the first released on December 16 and the second on January 13.

The macOS Big Sur update appears aimed mainly at introducing under-the-hood improvements and bug fixes. According to the release notes, the update includes fixes for the following issues:
  • External displays may show a black screen when connected to a Mac mini (M1, 2020) using an HDMI to DVI converter

• Edits to Apple ProRAW photos in the Photos app may not save

• iCloud Drive could turn off after disabling the iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders option

• System Preferences may not unlock when entering your administrator password

• Globe key may not display the Emoji & Symbols pane when pressed
Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. Instead, the recommendation is to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices and ensure sufficient backups of important data before making any major changes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Public beta is put also.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Question is: did they solve the M1 Bluetooth nightmare?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Question is: did they solve the M1 Bluetooth nightmare?
    Bluetooth seems to be better since the last 11.2 RC. I haven't updated to this RC.
    CheeseFreeze
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The first update released 3 days ago installed without issue. Today’s update has failed during install twice now.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Anyone having trouble with Apple wireless trackpad not being able to grab bar or  move windows or icons around desktop?  Since my trackpad works fine with my 2012 Mac mini I suspect it is Big Sur and/or M1 bug. Works with wired mouse however. 
    🤷🏻‍♂️ 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Has anyone had issues with video calls? I'm on a machine with an Intel GPU and it crashes every time I try to do a video call.... Hoping 11.2 fixes that. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Anyone having trouble with Apple wireless trackpad not being able to grab bar or  move windows or icons around desktop?  Since my trackpad works fine with my 2012 Mac mini I suspect it is Big Sur and/or M1 bug. Works with wired mouse however. 
    🤷🏻‍♂️ 
    Apple trackpad works fine here, with M1 Mac mini - check System Preferences to make sure you turned on/set the same preferences you did on the 2012 mini.  If you've upgraded the mini over the years (instead of clean installs), some of the defaults have changed & some settings are under Accessibility in last few years of macOS - you may not be aware of these, and think they are default from your 2012 mini experience.