Apple highlights black photographers in new Shot on iPhone "Hometown" feature

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
To celebrate Black History Month, Apple has collaborated with Black photographers across the U.S. to capture an intimate look at Black culture.

Image Credit: Lelanie Foster
Image Credit: Lelanie Foster

Photographers from Washington D.C., Chicago, Southern California, Detroit, and the Bronx took to their neighborhoods with Apple's iPhone 12 Pro. Each photographer gives insight into what they love most about their hometown, community, and culture. The artists also discuss how the iPhone allows them to capture the perfect shot.

The result is a series of photographs, available to view on Apple's website, that intimately capture Black culture. The photographs focus on the people and places that each photographer thought exemplified their hometown.

Ambassador Bridge, Detroit | Image Credit: Bryan Day
Ambassador Bridge, Detroit | Image Credit: Bryan Day

"Black comes in different skin tones, hair textures, sounds, languages and dialects, and cultures. It's more of a spectrum," says D.C.-based photographer Julien James.

"Since I was young, my mom taught me the importance of knowing our history. She also taught me that everything Black was excellent. Malcolm X was excellent. Martin Luther King Jr. was excellent," says Lawrence Agyei, who lives and works in Chicago. "I grew up in Italy, where schools didn't really teach African American history, so my mother made sure that I knew about the leaders and movement of my people."

Image Credit: Lawrence Agyei
Image Credit: Lawrence Agyei

Apple notes that those who would like to see more work from the individuals can head to Apple's Instagram page, where Apple will be featuring more work from Black artists during the month of February.

The Cupertino-based tech giant also plans on having new remote Today at Apple sessions that will feature Black creators. The sessions will be held in partnership with design and art publisher It's Nice That, and will focus on shooting in Apple ProRAW and editing via the Photos app on iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

"Since I was young, my mom .... taught me that everything Black was excellent. Malcolm X was excellent. Martin Luther King Jr. was excellent," says Lawrence Agyei, who lives and works in Chicago.
    Then she taught her wrong.   Everything black is NOT great!  (Neither is everything white!)

Real leaders, from JFK to Ronald Reagan to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King knew that they were fallible rather than excellent.
    It's what kept them human, grounded them in reality, and spurred them to put their best efforts forward to achieve what they believed to be important.  And, ultimately it's what drove them to greatness,.

Perhaps the analogy is Tom Brady who is widely acknowledged as THE GOAT -- but realizes he is not a great athlete.

edited February 2021 Beats
  • Reply 2 of 5

"Since I was young, my mom .... taught me that everything Black was excellent. Malcolm X was excellent. Martin Luther King Jr. was excellent," says Lawrence Agyei, who lives and works in Chicago.
    Then she taught her wrong.   Everything black is NOT great!  (Neither is everything white!)

Real leaders, from JFK to Ronald Reagan to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King knew that they were fallible rather than excellent.
    It's what kept them human, grounded them in reality, and spurred them to put their best efforts forward to achieve what they believed to be important.  And, ultimately it's what drove them to greatness,.

Perhaps the analogy is Tom Brady who is widely acknowledged as THE GOAT -- but realizes he is not a great athlete.

Seriously? It’s black history month and a black person talks about the pride they have in being black and your response is to tell them they are wrong and they really should look at a white guy for inspiration.

Malcom X and Martin Luther King both took on a cause that was far bigger than themselves, fought against injustice and paid for it with their lives. They literally sacrificed everything to make people’s lives better and you want to compare them to a guy that plays football? And not just a guy who plays football but a guy that also sees racism as an acceptable thing. 

Ttere is tone-fucking-deaf and then there is your comment. 
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 3 of 5

Seriously? It’s black history month and a black person talks about the pride they have in being black and your response is to tell them they are wrong and they really should look at a white guy for inspiration.

Since I said NONE of that -- ZIP -- NADA -- you might consider taking a reading course before you make a fool of yourself.

I won't even bother trying to correct you.  Instead, I suggest you go back and read what I ACTUALLY wrote and try again.

• Reply 4 of 5

Since I said NONE of that -- ZIP -- NADA -- you might consider taking a reading course before you make a fool of yourself.

I won't even bother trying to correct you.  Instead, I suggest you go back and read what I ACTUALLY wrote and try again.

"Then she taught her wrong.   Everything black is NOT great!  (Neither is everything white!)" <--- You are saying she is wrong in how she expressed her pride in being black.

"
    Real leaders, from JFK to Ronald Reagan to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King knew that they were fallible rather than excellent." <----- You confabulate excellence with being infallible. They are not the same thing. Ronald Reagan was also a racist and it's pretty gross to see him put in the same sentence as MLK and Malcom X. 

"
    Perhaps the analogy is Tom Brady who is widely acknowledged as THE GOAT -- but realizes he is not a great athlete." <---- you use a guy who plays sport as an example of inspiration and elevate him to the people in the previous paragraph. He is in no way comparable to MLK or Malcom X. He is also an avid Trump support. Trump who has made racists statements and defined white supremacy. If Brady is a supporter of Trump then he may not be a racist himself but he doesn't see it as an issue to distance himself from.

I didn't get anything wrong you just don't want to own the implications of your words. I don't blame you it's just awful. 
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 5 of 5

"Then she taught her wrong.   Everything black is NOT great!  (Neither is everything white!)" <--- You are saying she is wrong in how she expressed her pride in being black.

"
    Real leaders, from JFK to Ronald Reagan to Malcolm X to Martin Luther King knew that they were fallible rather than excellent." <----- You confabulate excellence with being infallible. They are not the same thing. Ronald Reagan was also a racist and it's pretty gross to see him put in the same sentence as MLK and Malcom X. 

"
    Perhaps the analogy is Tom Brady who is widely acknowledged as THE GOAT -- but realizes he is not a great athlete." <---- you use a guy who plays sport as an example of inspiration and elevate him to the people in the previous paragraph. He is in no way comparable to MLK or Malcom X. He is also an avid Trump support. Trump who has made racists statements and defined white supremacy. If Brady is a supporter of Trump then he may not be a racist himself but he doesn't see it as an issue to distance himself from.

I didn't get anything wrong you just don't want to own the implications of your words. I don't blame you it's just awful. 

1)   You conflate pride with false pride and delusion
    2)   You confuse doing great things with being perfect.   Malcolm X did some great things -- but did you know that he was as racist as George Wallace because BOTH of them strongly and vehemently opposed integration?  Ahh!  You didn't know that did you?   But, Malcolm X, as you point out, also did some good things.   Maybe even some great things -- but like every other human in this world, that does not make him perfect or without fault.   The difference between the great ones and the also rans are that the great ones know that and understand that.
    3)  Again you simply rewrote what I actually said to make it fit your agenda.   Sorry, but that's STILL bullshit.

So, you got it ALL wrong!
    ....  But thanks for (partially) walking back your false claims of what I said.  It's a start