H. Moser & Cie sends up Apple Watch with $30,800 mechanical clone

Posted:
in General Discussion
Swiss watchmaker H. Moser & Cie has debuted a $30,800 followup to its original Apple Watch clone, dubbed the Swiss Alp Watch "Final Upgrade."

Credit: H. Moser & Cie

Like the original, the new Swiss Alp Watch is a mechanical timepiece crafted in a way to mimic -- and satirize -- Apple's digital smartwatch. It features a similar rectangular design, curved edges, and a crown on the side. The Swiss Alp Watch Final Upgrade does, however, feature a few new touches.

Under the hood, the Swiss Alp Watch Final Upgrade is fully mechanical and features the watchmaker's own hand-wound Calibre HMC 324 with a 96-hour power reserve. Its case is DLC-treated stainless steel.

To mimic the OLED display of an Apple Watch, the watchmaker has coated the dial in Vantablack -- the darkest artificial substance ever made that absorbs up to 99.6% of visible light. There's also a seconds display that apes the watchOS and iOS loading symbol but is fully mechanical. H. Moser & Cie used a series of apertures with a small seconds disc painted in a white gradient to achieve the look.

As with the original Swiss Alp Watch, the Final Upgrade is meant to poke fun at Apple and smartwatches.

"No updates required, no lousy autonomy, no unnecessary features, no annoying notifications, just the only reminder you ever really need: To disconnect from all the noise and cherish each and every moment," the watchmaker's description reads.

H. Moser & Cie Swiss says that only 50 pieces will be produced, and each will be priced at $30,800.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    If it gets down to $299 on a Black Friday sale, count me in.
    Xedfred1Doodpantswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    "Do you love the look of the Apple Watch but hate all those annoying features, like helping save your life in an emergency? Well do we have the watch for you… and it only 100x more expensive."
    edited February 2021 StrangeDaysJWSCchiabeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    But but but it will be obsolete the moment Apple changes its form factor!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Oh the stupidity 😂 this makes the gold Apple Watch that cost $10K seem rational!
    marklarkchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    That's lovely. I'd wear it, if I had the change to spare.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I’m just trying to figure out who would buy such a thing?  I’m mean, why?!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    So, 30k for Apple Watch clone?

edit: oh wait, this is not screen just pure mechanical?

edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JWSC said:
    The McLaren 720S costs $300,000.00. What’s your point? People with money buy this stuff.
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 239member
    With it being that cheap, I might buy one for each wrist.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Quite an interesting outfit. 

The Swiss government changed the law so that companies had to be 60% Swiss made  to carry the label “Swiss made”.

As a protest, the company produced a $1million watch made from Swiss cheese. 

edited February 2021 Xedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    I admire their sense of humour while their world is slowly fading away and they are becoming less relevant every day. Money has a different meaning in that world. I'm glad that it still exists, though.
    sphericchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pretty elaborate troll.  I do enjoy that spinner though.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 19
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    It's a rather fine joke, but you do have to have an expensive sense of humor to enjoy it to the full.

Moser is one of the relatively few Swiss watch manufacturers to design and make its own mechanical movements in-house. They only produce about 1500 watches a year, which explains the price. Beautiful stuff. 
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Rayz2016 said:
    Quite an interesting outfit. 

The Swiss government changed the law so that companies had to be 60% Swiss made  to carry the label “Swiss made”.

As a protest, the company produced a $1million watch made from Swiss cheese. 

LOL That million dollar Swiss cheese casing is great. I enjoyed his ad, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    If it gets down to $299 on a Black Friday sale, count me in.

Why?  It's still garbage compared to a $20 Timex. 

Mechanical watch technology has been obsolete since the 1970s.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    JWSC said:
    It's obviously very taxing for you, so don't even try. Just let it go and be happy.

iadlib said:
    Oh the stupidity 😂 this makes the gold Apple Watch that cost $10K seem rational!
    And you can't afford either, so why get worked up about it.

jguther said:
    ...while their world is slowly fading away and they are becoming less relevant every day. 
    darkvader said:
    Why?  It's still garbage compared to a $20 Timex. 
    Mechanical watch technology has been obsolete since the 1970s.
    Fine mechanical watches will still be made when you just dust in the dirt, and not even a memory to anyone. That pleases me on several levels.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Have to wonder about the retail logistics of this joke.  Do they make 10?  100?  Presumably there are a number of high-end stores that would expect to have one to show their customers.  I suppose with a profit margin of at least 95% it doesn't matter if they make too many.  They can always clear out any remainders at 50%! and still make a killing.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Have to wonder about the retail logistics of this joke.  Do they make 10?  100?  Presumably there are a number of high-end stores that would expect to have one to show their customers.  I suppose with a profit margin of at least 95% it doesn't matter if they make too many.  They can always clear out any remainders at 50%! and still make a killing.
    I think they only make 50. The Swiss cheese casing watch that Rayz2016 mentioned was a one-off for $1M.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    A lot of high end watchmakers will produce special editions of very limited production, with a commensurately high price. Bremont produced a limited run of three different Kingsman watches for the first movie. Gorgeous watches, the production runs were:
    Kingsman Rose Gold – 100
    Kingsman Stainless Steel – 500
    Kingsman DLC – 500

Those low numbers kept the prices fairly high, but even the Rose Gold Kingsman was a little less expensive than the "Final Upgrade".