YouTube cutting off third-gen Apple TV channel in March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
YouTube is planning to discontinue support for its dedicated Apple TV channel, meaning third-generation devices will no longer be able to access the service.

Apple TV

The video platform recently began to inform users that the channel will be shut down starting next month, reports 9to5Mac.
Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, iPhone, or iPad. With AirPlay, you can also stream YouTube from your iOS device directly to any Apple TV (3rd generation or later).
YouTube's warning appears before videos are displayed on third-generation Apple TV devices.

While native playback ends in March, users can still stream YouTube content to older Apple TV boxes over AirPlay. Of course that workaround requires an iPhone or iPad, much less convenient than turning on Apple TV and navigating to a dedicated channel.

Current Apple TV devices, specifically Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K, are unaffected by the change as they run tvOS and offer access to the App Store, where YouTube continues to market an app.

The coming shutdown echoes a similar end-of-life announcement in 2015, when YouTube pulled the plug on support for second-generation Apple TV units. That shutdown was a result of the then-new YouTube Data API, which broke compatibility with a variety of streaming devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Hmmm.   Do I upgrade my Apple TV or not?  Decisions, decisions...
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Darn it. Still using mine ATV3 the bedroom as I have a 4K attached to the main TV in the lounge and won’t buy another until a new model comes out.
    Don’t  really use YouTube on that one though, and Disney Plus isn’t available already..
    edited February 2021 pulseimagesdt17watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    I just stream it to my Apple TV3 via Airplay though I was getting a lot of errors on various videos last night. I won’t upgrade until a new, improved Apple TV comes out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    entropys said:
    Darn it. Still using mine ATV3 the bedroom as I have a 4K attached to the main TV in the lounge and won’t buy another until a new model comes out.
    Don’t  really use YouTube on that one though, and Disney Plus isn’t available already..
    I've been on the 4th gen. for ages and am keen on replacing it. However, like you, I do not want to buy the 4K one now because there have been rumours for quite a while now that a new version will be released. 

Of course, it's not smart to plan around rumours, but I can still afford to wait. At least Youtube isn't going anywhere on the 4th gen. just yet. 

I do use the app a lot - mainly for Screen Junkies, Cinefix and the dozens of live shows Metallica seem to put out every year!
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I just stream it to my Apple TV3 via Airplay though I was getting a lot of errors on various videos last night. I won’t upgrade until a new, improved Apple TV comes out. 
    A workaround could be that you screen mirror your iPhone, if it is possible on Apple TV 3 and then use the YouTube app in full-screen mode. Would that work?

pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 12
    No prob. Just airplay from the iPod. Prefer the old remote. And concurrently play card games on the iPad. Apple tv still works, no plans to replace. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    This announcement could be a sign that a new version of Apple TV (box) could be on the way, actually.

But any 3rd gen ATV owners ... this is the writing on the wall for that machine.

As for any 4th gen users waiting for the rumoured announcement: I have no doubt that it will happen at some point, and at a guess it would come alongside any new iPad announcements, maybe in the spring?

The only problem I have is that apart from some cosmetic changes or support for 8K (the latter being very unlikely), what could they really do to the ATV that would convince me to buy a new one if I'm not that interested in more gaming/AR-VR ability (which seems to be the leading suggested new features)? Sure, a faster chip and a smaller box would be nice but ... the problem is that my Apple TV 4K does literally everything I want it to do fast and well, and has for years.

In the minds of the general public, the Apple TV app on their smart TVs in recent years replaces the streaming box (they're wrong, but not crazy-wrong). The next Apple TV box, I fear, is going to be an Apple Arcade machine with only minor new benefits for users who aren't going to use it as a faux-console.
    dysamoriapulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12

Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, iPhone, or iPad. With AirPlay, you can also stream YouTube from your iOS device directly to any Apple TV (3rd generation or later).

I do not know who tested what but I am still streaming (Airplay) anything to my Appel TV 2. Everything, Youtube include but just our dear Apple TV+ does not work!!!

Do the rumors. It is highly probably that new Apple TV with A14X will arrive at autumn. Not earlier. Hopefully with some support from AAA games. That can be reason why it will take that long. And probably because recently rumored Appel VR headset can follow it soon in Q1 2022 but can be announced with new TV.

It would make sense. New powerfull Apple TV maybe 8K, Apple VR headset and AAA games with headset support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The Apple Discussion Forums still see an occasional original gen Apple TV (the one that looks like a Mac mini) owner raging about why they can’t get Disney+ to show up on the device.
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    lkrupp said:
    The Apple Discussion Forums still see an occasional original gen Apple TV (the one that looks like a Mac mini) owner raging about why they can’t get Disney+ to show up on the device.
    Many of your posts are somehow focused on mocking people for being behind in buying stuff...
    pulseimageslkruppdarkvader
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:
    Many of your posts are somehow focused on mocking people for being behind in buying stuff...
    I mock their rage and stupidity and especially the “planned obsolescence” claims on this sort of thing. They are so tech illiterate that they cannot fathom the speed at which technology advances and actually think old hardware should run the latest software forever. That being said I have a now 49 year old waffle maker that we got as a wedding present and it still works. But then the paradigm of waffle making has not changed much either. You try using an Apple ][+ to access the internet and let us know how it goes.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Dogperson said:
    No prob. Just airplay from the iPod. Prefer the old remote. And concurrently play card games on the iPad. Apple tv still works, no plans to replace. 
    3rd gen silver remote works with the Appletv 4K as well. I have my father use that since he has a bit of hard time with the touch control.

lolliverDogpersonroundaboutnowwatto_cobra