Investors are underestimating the 'Apple Car' impact on the EV market, analysts say

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
Amid reports that Apple is building out its "Apple Car" production capabilities with Kia, Morgan Stanley analysts said that investors are likely underestimating the impact Apple could have on the market.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider, a trio of analysts from Morgan Stanley's Asia Pacific Auto, U.S. IT Hardware, and U.S. Autos and Mobility teams shared their thoughts on recent rumors of Apple investing billions in Kia to produce its self-driving car.

Analyst Katy Huberty notes that Apple has a history of funding the build-out of manufacturing capabilities for new products. Before the iPhone launched, Apple spent less than $1 billion annually in capital expenditures. A decade later, that number is now $12 billion, with the largest share being manufacturing equipment.

Huberty also notes that investors are likely to underestimate the financial impact of Apple entering the electric car market. She points out the effect Apple has had on addressable opportunities when it enters other markets.

When it hit maturity, the iPod shipped more than three times the annual peak units of its predecessor. Less than a decade after the iPhone launched, smartphones surpassed its peak future market size. Apple Watch shipments as of 2021 currently exceed the entire Swiss watch market

"In other words, applying a market share figure to the current EV market forecast is likely to vastly underestimate the size of Apple's car business in the future," Huberty writes.

She also maintains her position that Apple is entering the car market because of its combination of hardware, software, and services and the fact that it could create a better experience. "We believe Apple would approach the market with the same vertical integration it leverages in other markets," she says.

Asia Pacific Auto analyst Young Suk Shin added that if rumors of Apple investing in Kia are true, the Cupertino tech giant is "effectively putting its own capital for capital expenditures, while Kia gets to manufacture."

"From that perspective, it can be seen as a better option, but we don't believe this changes the thesis that Kia ends up being an outsourcing firm. The Apple halo-effect/sentiment is overtaking outsourcing concerns for now," the analyst said.

Adam Jones of Morgan Stanley's auto team says that he doesn't believe investors are prepared for the second order impacts of an Apple entrance into the e-mobility and internet-of-cars space.

"We believe contemplation of an Apple entry into the car market will expand investor thinking around the role of the network including the business model of recurring, software enabled platform revenue (installed base, attach rate, ARPU valued at SaaS multiples)," Jones writes.

Like Huberty, Jones believes that an "Apple Car" could materially expand the broader electric vehicle market. Jones' current 31% EV penetration forecast for 2030 doesn't not consider the Apple self-driving car.

Huberty maintains her 12-month AAPL price target of $164. It's based on a sum-of-the-parts model with a 6x enterprise value-to-sales (EV/Sales) multiple on Apple's product business and a 13.1x EV/Sales multiple on Services. That results in an implied 7.5x target 2022 EV/Sales multiple and a 34x target enterprise-value to free-cash-flow multiple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Why is no one talking about Apples 2016 billion dollar investment in the Uber of China: Didi?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/05/13/the-main-reason-apple-just-invested-1-billion-in-the-uber-of-china/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    As far as I know Didi doesn't have a vehicle yet, and their target of one million vehicles is targeted for 2030. So it was an interesting investment in 2016, but unless Apple really is designing a taxi / rental car, which they would build in China, this is still unripened fruit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Let me know when I can "refuel" an EV in less time than it takes to read a novel. It's great technology but impractical for inter city trips or if you don't have charging stations at home. Even with an increase of hundreds of thousands of less slow than before but still really slow fast charging stations, its still impractical due to EV land defining "fast" differently to everyone else that has ever existed on this planet.
    entropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Few analysts do see Apple's EV car efforts and it's impact on overall Car(SUV,TRUCK,ETC) industry at large. Industry produces/sales globally about 90 millions vehicles(over trillion $) and and EV is 2% of it. But, if new comers like Apple,Tesla, etc takes 20-30% of future Car market than that will be big impact on current Car makers. Apple just need 5-10% of that market. And don't forget Apple can create a long term EV mobility transport service.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    wood1208 said:
    Few analysts do see Apple's EV car efforts and it's impact on overall Car(SUV,TRUCK,ETC) industry at large. Industry produces/sales globally about 90 millions vehicles(over trillion $) and and EV is 2% of it. But, if new comers like Apple,Tesla, etc takes 20-30% of future Car market than that will be big impact on current Car makers. Apple just need 5-10% of that market. And don't forget Apple can create a long term EV mobility transport service.
    "New comers" aren't going to get anything beyond single digits of the TAM, and for the record, Tesla is not a "new comer", given the Tesla was founded July 3, 2003. Tesla may, or may not. be about to grow into the double digits, but it certainly won't happen with Elon as the CEO.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    beeble42 said:
    Let me know when I can "refuel" an EV in less time than it takes to read a novel. It's great technology but impractical for inter city trips or if you don't have charging stations at home. Even with an increase of hundreds of thousands of less slow than before but still really slow fast charging stations, its still impractical due to EV land defining "fast" differently to everyone else that has ever existed on this planet.
    I am sure there will be battery tech to do that one day. People have been saying that for a long time though. Of course, fuel cells would solve the range anxiety problem, but for some reason there seems a fair bit of public ignoring and push back against accelerating development of the technology and instead the push is to ironically delay technological progress by subsidising the heck out of current tech pure EVs. 

Subsidies paid for by the little people of course with the benefit flowing to higher income buyers.  The other problem is that huge subsidies and regulatory restrictions means the EV producer can make a decent living with current tech and ever escalating share prices, reducing pressure to improve the tech compared with the absence of “assistance” and improvement actually slows. Lobbyists get a fat check too, and the neo-religious get that little thrill.

If Apple actually is doing this, I suspect it isn’t mainly for a car as device for people that regularly travel long distance, but urban dwellers who never travel any significant distance in a car, and fly to their holiday destination. Apple will aim for a paradigm shift in vehicle use. As pointed out above, Apple has already invested in ride services. I suspect it will try to create a new model of a vertical business from manufacture to a fleet based ride service based on subscription.  You don’t buy a new car (although they will still do that for the country rubes I guess), but an app and a subscription, and you order a car when you need it.  The autonomous car goes to recharge when needed and another takes its place.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    They're overestimating.  Probably by a lot.

Apple has no car.

Apple has no battery technology.

Apple has a rudimentary self-driving system at best.  (Less than 10k miles in CA in 2019, Google was at almost a million and a half.)

EVs will have 100% of the new car market by 2040.  Apple is unlikely to hit anywhere close to 1%. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    darkvader said:
    Apple has no car

EVs will have 100% of the new car market by 2040.  Apple is unlikely to hit anywhere close to 1%. 
    Tim Cook has probably dawdled too long on this with Tesla way in the lead on an EV and WayMo and Cruise in Self Driving.

I just don’t believe that Apple can do Transport as a Service as they would need to get Approved as a Self Driving System in At least one state.    They could certainly sell expensive EV cars, but even VW, Porsche and Ford are ahead.    If Apple is serious then they need to set up their own nationwide high sped Charging Network.   They have the money to get a 1000 Sites up in a year, but I don’t see Cook being Aggressive enough.   It’s simple:

GO LARGE OR GO HOME. 

• Reply 9 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member
    beeble42 said:
    In my city lack of driveways is common for homeowners. I'm not sure how I would charge an EV on the street parking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,883member

k2kw said:
    darkvader said:
    Apple has no car

Tim Cook has probably dawdled too long on this with Tesla way in the lead on an EV and WayMo and Cruise in Self Driving.

I just don’t believe that Apple can do Transport as a Service as they would need to get Approved as a Self Driving System in At least one state.    They could certainly sell expensive EV cars, but even VW, Porsche and Ford are ahead.    If Apple is serious then they need to set up their own nationwide high sped Charging Network.   They have the money to get a 1000 Sites up in a year, but I don’t see Cook being Aggressive enough.   It’s simple:

GO LARGE OR GO HOME. 
    Armchair CEOs are so cute.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

k2kw said:
    darkvader said:
    Apple has no car

GO LARGE OR GO HOME. 
    Armchair CEOs are so cute.
    Indeed. 

“Steve Jobs has probably dawdled too long on this with Nokia, Palm and Microsoft way in the lead with smartphones.”

Amazing how some folk never learn …

Apple’s plans for Apple Watch were announced so early that the company was beaten to the market by … um … 🤔 … nope, can’t remember. 

I’ve never believed that Apple planned to sell a car … that’s not disruptive.  

I think they’re going with a manufacturer (or more than one) with a sizeable dealer network. Why? Because the cars will need to return somewhere for maintenance, recharging and cleaning. 

But at the moment, we’re seeing a lot of companies and analysts trying to jack various share prices., and no one is really clued in on what Apple is up to. 
    watto_cobra