Don't expect the 'Apple Car' to have a steering wheel, analyst says

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

bill42 said:
    There will not be cars without steering wheels for a very long time. The technology is not close to making this a reasonable option.
    OK, how about a "yoke" instead?  :-D
    Why do they call those square ones yoke steering wheels?
  • Reply 42 of 44
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Apropos of nothing in particular, does anyone remember the old British TV show "Reginald Perrin" in which he dumps his life, tries and fails to commit suicide by drowning in the ocean, and starts up a Grot Shop, selling items guaranteed to be absolutely, utterly useless, and if you wanted even less of the useless item it costs more. 
  • Reply 43 of 44
    A car without backup controls a regular driver can use is not likely to sell well.

Besides, Apple on an amazingly consistent basis keeps having weird iOS devices settings issues from version to version, and while I’d hope they’d get top people for a self-driving car that covers all the bases, I’ve been writing code longer than I’ve been driving, and my current employment revolves around helping other developers learn how to not do boneheaded things in systems ranging from simple to very complex: my current role wouldn’t exist if human developers got everything right.

I’m skeptical due to far too much knowledge and understanding combined with experience.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 44 of 44
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    sdw2001 said:
    There will not be cars without steering wheels for a very long time. The technology is not close to making this a reasonable option.
    Depending on your definition of "very long time" and "not close," I agree.  Two links:  

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15079828/autonomous-self-driving-car-levels-car-levels/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2020/07/09/elon-musk-tesla-will-have-level-5-self-driving-cars-this-year/?sh=b459abc2d1d6

So technology-wise, we are basically at level 4.  In the mainstream market (say, sub-$45K), most cars are at level 1 or 2.  Some, like Tesla, are at level 3. We are not far from premium brands being able to deploy level 4.  How long that takes to go mainstream is a question.  I can say that as someone who buys cars frequently (in my family, probably every 2-3 years between us), my 2019 Kia is the first with any automation whatsoever (lane assist).  The car I had before that...a 2015 upper level Hyundai sedan, had nothing.  

My best guess is we are a good 10 years away from level 5 autonomous vehicles being somewhat mainstream.  We're probably 20+ years away from the majority of vehicles being level 5.  

More like 50 years. There are just too many complex and expensive obstacles to be dealt with before self drivers achieve ubiquity.
    muthuk_vanalingam