Apple pauses 'Apple Car' talks with Hyundai, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    robaba said:
    The first rule of negotiating with Apple is don’t talk about negotiations with Apple

Likewise, the first rule of negotiating with a company like Hyundai is keeping all the cards on top of the table and maintaining transparency.

Apple doesn't typically do well when they play with the big kids.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    This means 2025 eta will prob be pushed out further... I can’t get over a Kia apple car though... it’s a Kia vehicle at the end of the day.

That brings back memories of the 70's and 80's -- and the "cheap, junky little Japanese cars" that crushed the American auto market.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    longpath said:
    To be blunt, whomever winds up making what is sounding more and more like a glorified robotaxi really doesn’t matter. This first generation product sounds less and less like a consumer facing product by the day.

That being said, I’m hardly the darling choice of any auto manufacturer, as my daily is a 2006, and it was a 2004 until my family was literally given a hand me down 2011. I look for a car that is still viable after two decades, preferably three.

Obviously I agree:
    I retired my previous car on the advice of my mechanic at a quarter million miles and 24 years old.   My current ride will be 22 years old (and going strong) in April.

Essentially, after the first 10 years or so, the largest cost of the car (depreciation) is essentially nil as it's already been depreciated.   Plus I save a bunch on insurance.

Meanwhile, the car not only does what I need it to, it has every meaningful bell and whistle I would get in a brand new car.
    ....  So, why would I spend $25K - $65k on a new car?   Impress the neighbors?   (Nope! I'll keep the cash!)

Which brings up one of my major concerns about EVs:   I have heard too often that the battery will last "the life of the car" -- which makes me concerned about the life of the car!
    longpath
  • Reply 24 of 60
    wood1208 said:
    Apple don't like to talk about the product until all ducks are properly in raw. Hyundai should have asked LG,Samsung to learn how to work and relationship expectation of Apple with it's suppliers,partners,etc..

Perhaps they did and decided to do it their way rather than Apple's.
    80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 25 of 60
    It sounds like Apple may need Hyundai more than Hyundai needs Apple.
    80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 26 of 60
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    longpath said:
    To be blunt, whomever winds up making what is sounding more and more like a glorified robotaxi really doesn’t matter. This first generation product sounds less and less like a consumer facing product by the day.

That being said, I’m hardly the darling choice of any auto manufacturer, as my daily is a 2006, and it was a 2004 until my family was literally given a hand me down 2011. I look for a car that is still viable after two decades, preferably three.

Obviously I agree:
    I retired my previous car on the advice of my mechanic at a quarter million miles and 24 years old.   My current ride will be 22 years old (and going strong) in April.

Essentially, after the first 10 years or so, the largest cost of the car (depreciation) is essentially nil as it's already been depreciated.   Plus I save a bunch on insurance.

Meanwhile, the car not only does what I need it to, it has every meaningful bell and whistle I would get in a brand new car.
    ....  So, why would I spend $25K - $65k on a new car?   Impress the neighbors?   (Nope! I'll keep the cash!)

Which brings up one of my major concerns about EVs:   I have heard too often that the battery will last "the life of the car" -- which makes me concerned about the life of the car!
    Only two cars over nearly 50 years - very prudent and frugal!  Another plus is not worrying about every little scratch and ding and just shrugging and laughing.  The biggest negative is not having the latest safety tech.  Every time I’m tempted to upgrade I read about another vehicle in the pipeline and then wait for that, and the cycle repeats, meanwhile the industry/tech overall keeps getting better and my expenses remain low (even though buying any new vehicle is no issue financially, like you, I’m not trying to impress the neighbors.)  I don’t think I’m ready for an EV yet, although the Mustang Mach E is getting very good reviews, and has wireless CarPlay.  Right now I’m convinced I’ll get the new Bronco as it’ll be much better than a Wrangler and be like several vehicles in one: convertible, off roader, boat hauler, respectable enough to take the wife out in, etc. But of course something else might come along by then....
    edited February 2021 GeorgeBMaclongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 60
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Maybe not all Hyundai executives are interested in being Apple's supplier and leaked this to blow up the talks.    Once Apple announces a car that puts their CarPlay business with other manufacturers in jeopardy.   This comes down to two maxims.

"Sh!+ or get off the Can" and "Go Big or go Home".    Apple needs to either build their own Factories like Tesla or just buy a company like Subaru or Mitsiubishi and begin quick process to transition new vehicles to EVs within 5 years (Just be sure to jettison or buyout the dealer network.)   
    prismatics
  • Reply 28 of 60
    k2kw said:
    Maybe not all Hyundai executives are interested in being Apple's supplier and leaked this to blow up the talks.    Once Apple announces a car that puts their CarPlay business with other manufacturers in jeopardy.   This comes down to two maxims.

"Sh!+ or get off the Can" and "Go Big or go Home".    Apple needs to either build their own Factories like Tesla or just buy a company like Subaru or Mitsiubishi and begin quick process to transition new vehicles to EVs within 5 years (Just be sure to jettison or buyout the dealer network.)   
    I would say instead that the best bet for Hyundai (or another manufacturer) would be to simply start up a subsidiary or sister company that could piggy back off of existing expertise and supply chains without downgrading the main operation by making it into subcontractor.   Then, if and when Apple dumps them, they simply take what they got and move on...

• Reply 29 of 60
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    iadlib said:
    How dumb are these companies?? If you’re in talks with Apple, do your research, realize they’re notoriously secretive, and shut your damn mouth!
    Why?  Because Apple said to?

From a Hyundai perspective, they either enter to an agreement as equal partners or they don't.   Either way, Apple doesn't get to dictate how that company conducts its business and, for most companies, unless there is an actual need for secrecy, transparency prevails.
    Actually they do. If you want work as an Apple vendor, you do as the client wishes. You have no evidence that they were offered equal partner status whatsoever,
    anantksundaramqwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 60
    robaba said:
    The first rule of negotiating with Apple is don’t talk about negotiations with Apple

Likewise, the first rule of negotiating with a company like Hyundai is keeping all the cards on top of the table and maintaining transparency.

Ah yes, our local 70-something retired nurse is also an expect in auto manufacturing and negotiations. Right.
    jdb8167anantksundaramqwerty52pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60

Nah, that’s just your anti-fantasy.
    jdb8167anantksundaramcitylightsappleqwerty52pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 60
    With all the existing excess capacity in the industry, and massive amounts coming since the EV revolution is smacking these dinosaurs right between the eyes faster than a speeding missile, carmakers are dime-a-dozen.

Soon they'll be begging for business from companies like Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    iadlib said:
    How dumb are these companies?? If you’re in talks with Apple, do your research, realize they’re notoriously secretive, and shut your damn mouth!
    Why?  Because Apple said to?

From a Hyundai perspective, they either enter to an agreement as equal partners or they don't.   Either way, Apple doesn't get to dictate how that company conducts its business and, for most companies, unless there is an actual need for secrecy, transparency prevails.
    Actually they do. If you want work as an Apple vendor, you do as the client wishes. You have no evidence that they were offered equal partner status whatsoever,

Why would you assume that Hyundai would accept anything less than an equal partnership?
    ... Not everybody holds Apple as a god to be worshiped.
    edited February 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 34 of 60

Nah, that’s just your anti-fantasy.

I'm not anti-anything.  Just a realist.
    Hyundai is doing just fine without Apple.  So what does Apple have to offer them?   Oh, yeh, I forgot:  everybody is supposed to be in awe...

On the other hand, while Hyundai is doing just fine & dandy, Apple can't do what they want without a Hyundai or equivalent.
    elijahg
  • Reply 35 of 60
    robaba said:

Ah yes, our local 70-something retired nurse is also an expect in auto manufacturing and negotiations. Right.

This retired nurse was originally an accountant, financial analyst and later a systems analyst and consultant -- and successful in each field.
    He is multi-talented and has broad experience that tends to leave lesser individuals and ideologues stuck wallowing in the mud of confusion.
    elijahg
  • Reply 36 of 60
    With all the existing excess capacity in the industry, and massive amounts coming since the EV revolution is smacking these dinosaurs right between the eyes faster than a speeding missile, carmakers are dime-a-dozen.

Hyundai already has an EV.   What does Apple have?  Or maybe that's why Apple is wooing them?
    Image result for hyundai ev cars

edited February 2021 elijahg
  • Reply 37 of 60

Hyundai already has an EV.   What does Apple have?  Or maybe that's why Apple is wooing them?

Good for Hyundai (old news). Go buy one for your next 25 years and leave us alone. 

Let us know ten years from now how it's working out for you. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    If this is down to the report leaking, it's pretty stupid. Apple really has no weight to throw around in the vehicle arena, and as others have said it has to be an equal partnership. Apple isn't used to that, they usually dictate terms (and how much they'll pay) to Chinese companies who simply pay their workers less to seal the deal. That's not an option with a car company in a country that has workers rights, and who uses permanent salaried staff.

Apple's secrecy doesn't really do them any favours nowadays, as almost every aspect of the hardware in a product is leaked months before announcement anyway; so ditching a supplier because of it is pretty stupid. It's unbelievable that Apple still refuses to sign Nvidia's drivers due to a leak 6 years back. Incredibly childish. But a downside of these leaks is they contribute to there being little hype or excitement around announcements anymore (though the lack of passion from Cook doesn't help either). So much for him "doubling down" on secrecy.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 39 of 60
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

Good for Hyundai (old news). Go buy one for your next 25 years and leave us alone. 

I have a 21 year old Hyundai. It's still going great, by far the most reliable car anyone in my family has had. Had a Ford, rotted to bits. Had an Audi, rotted and (frequent) repairs were expensive, as were parts. Two friends have Toyotas. Horrible to work on, both very rusty. Your preconceptions are completely wrong, have you looked at car reliability charts recently? Occupying many of the top 10 spots is Hyundai. The first Audi is 50 down the list. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 60

I'm sorry that facts (the real ones) and reality make you all upset....  
    prismatics