Google's reluctance to add privacy labels to Gmail, other apps might put users at risk [u]...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    spock1234 said:
    gatorguy said:
    I don't see a GMail update for iOS yet, but if you update YouTube there is a Privacy Nutrition label:
    Are you sure that this applies to YouTube on iOS? I just deleted and re-downloaded the YouTube App, and I did not see any 'nutrition labels' when it launched. How do you make it appear?
    Nutrition labels, or app privacy labels, are visible (for many apps) on the app store, not when you launch the app. Some apps don't have them yet, but I think Apple forces them on any apps that get updated. Some apps may never be updated just so they don't have to add these labels.
    I think Apple needs to tighten this up. Give apps until the end of the year to comply, then sweep them out of the store. It’s a good way of clearing dead cruft. 
    muthuk_vanalingamn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    gatorguy said:
    They don't scan emails for ad monetization as they've very specifically and unequivocally said they do not (any longer). They also do not sell private information as they've just as unequivocally said they do not, nor have they ever. Is there some data, even if "anonymized" and not tied to a specific user, being gathered? I'd say it's almost certain they do. Analytics for example may be disconnected from an identifiable account but would still require a declaration in the nutrition label. 
    I find it amusing that you posted the YouTube (owned by Google) privacy label while still claiming, and I quote, "they do not sell private information" -- I await your mansplaining on how my name, email, physical address, current location, device ID, contacts, search history, browsing history, and much more are not "private" information (reminder, these all come from the "Third Party Advertising" section of the privacy label).

@chasm The most obvious answer is that when you find a YouTube Creator whose content you enjoy you may decide to follow them. Generally that means hit the"Subscribe" button.

That entails YOU choosing to voluntarily share your contact info with that creator, telling them who their new subscriber is. Google did not sell it to them, it was a user-initiated request to create a value relationship with the video provider beyond the general YouTube one.. That provider would now know which of his/her videos you watched (browsing), what potential content of theirs you were looking for (search), where you are located, ie where their subscribers are coming from (location), and other information you've now shared with that creator, of course taking into consideration what information you've told Google you are willing to share. In my case it's the bare minimum. You do have a choice in that regard, and if you don't know where simply look in your Google account settings. Click your user name/icon to be taken there.

You should have been able to figure that out on your own IMO.
    edited February 2021 ctt_zh
  • Reply 23 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    gatorguy said:
    They don't scan emails for ad monetization as they've very specifically and unequivocally said they do not (any longer). They also do not sell private information as they've just as unequivocally said they do not, nor have they ever. Is there some data, even if "anonymized" and not tied to a specific user, being gathered? I'd say it's almost certain they do. Analytics for example may be disconnected from an identifiable account but would still require a declaration in the nutrition label. 
    I find it amusing that you posted the YouTube (owned by Google) privacy label while still claiming, and I quote, "they do not sell private information"

To be sure there is some obvious stuff in there that of course Google gets and/or sells and that users should have always known was being collected, from my YouTube user name to my general location to benign diagnostic data -- but I doubt most users understand either exactly how much personal data is being collected (and please stop with the BS about Google not selling this, not only is it made explicit in the label above, it is their entire business model),
    And therein lies a problem, just as you've presented it. How helpful are "nutrition labels" if the potential user, in this case you, doesn't understand what it all actually means? Sure it all sounds scary when you don't know what is being declared or why and resort to wild claims that it must be something onerous.
    edited February 2021 ctt_zh