Facebook developing smartwatch with health, messaging features

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Oh yes, if they weren’t rummaging around deep up your sphincter enough, give them your vitals. Yeah…..!

but good luck nonetheless….
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    People ITT rightfully calling out Facebook's other hardware flops like the FB phone. However, they're killing it with the Oculus Quest 2. We're an all-Apple household except company work PCs, and I rarely ever use Facebook. But I love the Quest.

Facebook is adding Messenger to Quest and enabling multiuser support (something which people have asked for since iPad came out), which is a stealth way to get people to add all their household members without FB. I have hundreds of $ in games and would love to drop Quest and buy an Apple iGlass, but Apple is nowhere to be found on this. Analysts are saying they want typical modern Apple ideal form factor (wireless and thin), but I'd be happy to use a wire from my A14 iPhone to the HMD. It would still be less clunky and more powerful than the Quest 2. 

People might laugh and say it's niche but it won't be for long. I had the Quest 1 and a year later comes Quest 2 and it's way better. My elderly relatives who rolled their eyes about games and couldn't understand controllers are drawn into VR and don't want to put it down. People forget how small Apple was before the iPhone, and VR/AR is likely to be the next frontier. I want Apple to get in there so we aren't stuck with Apple being the Android (or even Windows Phone if it's more than a couple years) of XR and unable to get the best devs and the best apps.. 

I firmly do not believe that closed-off, Ready Player One-type introversion has much long term interest to Apple or indeed to most people. It’s far too debilitating to the human experience.

Augmented reality I think does pose a much greater interest to Apple, not only for the more general populous, but to many industry vertices that would benefit from having access to information while remaining engaged in the real world.

So while Apple may release a VR headset, it will, I think, be a large test platform for their AR plans.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I can just imagine the ads.

Hi, I’m a Facebook watch (young, handsome hipster with man bun)
    and I’m an Apple watch (older boomer, seen better days).

Facebook watch: here am I turning on my Facebook app. I’m in straight away. Hi friends!
    Apple watch: and her I am turning on my Facebook  app. [starts scrolling through nutrition warnings.  It keeps going, and going, and going.]
    Apple watch: I will get to turn that warning label off real soon now!  Soon! Is this really necessary? Who would want my health data?   Mean, really?[scroll, scroll]

Narrator: Facebook watch, why bother with stuff you don’t need to know? 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    KBChicago said:
    jblongz said: I'm sorry for any iWatch user that must charge their watch every 24 hours...don't we have enough to manage in life?
    I use  Watch and I take my  Watch off each night and place it on my nightstand on a wireless charger. I do not find this difficult to manage. You find it difficult to remember the name  Watch so placing it on a wireless charger may be hard for you to manage.
    A 20-30 minute top-off while I'm getting ready for work is usually enough for me.  When I'm camping, I can usually make it a good 36 hours--and I'm on a 3 series.  But really, since I don't sleep with a watch on, it's easy to put it on the charger on my nightstand.  It's really not a big deal.
    I've gone 48 hours without charging my S6.  It's usually at 10% or less when I do that, but an hour on the charger while I shower and breakfast gets it to 75+%, which is good enough for that day, even going to the gym, walking, or riding my bike.

I'll admit that I was a little concerned about having to charge every day when I first got my S3, but it turns out that it's not an inconvenience at all to keep charged, even when camping.  I have two power bricks that are fully charged before I go, just in case, and I usually don't worry about keeping my phone charged, just the watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 47

People ITT rightfully calling out Facebook's other hardware flops like the FB phone. However, they're killing it with the Oculus Quest 2. We're an all-Apple household except company work PCs, and I rarely ever use Facebook. But I love the Quest.

Facebook is adding Messenger to Quest and enabling multiuser support (something which people have asked for since iPad came out), which is a stealth way to get people to add all their household members without FB. I have hundreds of $ in games and would love to drop Quest and buy an Apple iGlass, but Apple is nowhere to be found on this. Analysts are saying they want typical modern Apple ideal form factor (wireless and thin), but I'd be happy to use a wire from my A14 iPhone to the HMD. It would still be less clunky and more powerful than the Quest 2. 

People might laugh and say it's niche but it won't be for long. I had the Quest 1 and a year later comes Quest 2 and it's way better. My elderly relatives who rolled their eyes about games and couldn't understand controllers are drawn into VR and don't want to put it down. People forget how small Apple was before the iPhone, and VR/AR is likely to be the next frontier. I want Apple to get in there so we aren't stuck with Apple being the Android (or even Windows Phone if it's more than a couple years) of XR and unable to get the best devs and the best apps. 
    And on their last earnings call, Zuck was talking about the Quest 3.  Technologically, the Quest 2 is a marvelous device, but just like Apple, you're locked into that ecosystem.  The difference, for me, is that Apple's ecosystem is several orders of magnitude more desirable than anything FarceBook might come up with.

And the reason the Quest is so inexpensive (with a retail price not much higher than the BOM, if reports are to be believed) is because they're making their money from data harvesting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Here's the strategy:

Give them away to any company that wants to track the user's data
    Offer a discount to the customers and say their partners will give a discount if you wear this 24/7.  the discount goes down with each hour they don't wear the watch.
    Keep the initial pain point way down deep on paragraph 35 of section 43 of the ToS.
    Harvest every bit of data from the person wearing it and sell, sell, sell it! 
    1. Heart rate
    2. Location
    3. Activity level
    4. how many times they look at it
    5. If they have transactions on it, what they're buying
    6. What they're saying, who they're saying it to...
    7. What they're looking at on the Internet

edited February 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 47
    DOA. 

What's up w/ their video chat appliance? Anybody using it?
    watto_cobra