Facebook blocks news sites, charities, government pages in Australia

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

urahara said:
    Do I miss something?
    Facebook let share some news content. When the government wanted the Facebook to pay for it, Facebook switch this content from its service.
    So that it won't pay for it.
    Now people complain the Facebook did something wrong.

I don't get it. Why are people against Facebook in this case? That's the government who pushed Facebook to that move.

Disclaimer: I am usually against Facebook and think they are discussing in their behaviour in many cases, including there attacks on Apple regarding privacy features.
    But in this case I am frustrated with the politicians and people who want something from the Facebook and then blame it for their own actions. 
    Yeah, you missed how Google reacted. 
    Yeah - Google rolled over and made a "deal" with the largest news agency in Australia, who is behind this government action.

Facebook did the right thing.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    nicholfd said:

urahara said:
    Do I miss something?
    Facebook let share some news content. When the government wanted the Facebook to pay for it, Facebook switch this content from its service.

I don't get it. Why are people against Facebook in this case? That's the government who pushed Facebook to that move.

Disclaimer: I am usually against Facebook and think they are discussing in their behaviour in many cases, including there attacks on Apple regarding privacy features.
    But in this case I am frustrated with the politicians and people who want something from the Facebook and then blame it for their own actions. 
    Yeah - Google rolled over and made a "deal" with the largest news agency in Australia, who is behind this government action.

Tell that to the many non-profits that are getting screwed.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    urahara said:
    Do I miss something?

Exactly
  • Reply 24 of 26

nicholfd said:

"And the Australian government is just arbitrarily setting the payment rate/cost."
    Where is the evidence to back that statement up?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 26
    nicholfd said:

urahara said:
    Do I miss something?

Tell that to the many non-profits that are getting screwed.
    Exactly.

Don't forget the following Women’s Legal Services NSW; The national sexual assault, domestic family violence counselling service; Hobart Women’s Shelter; Domestic Violence Crisis Service ACT; Department of Fire and Emergency Services WA; Central Australian Aboriginal Congress; Council to Homeless Persons; Sacred Heart Mission; Mission Australia; The Kids Cancer Project; NSW Police Legacy; Bowel Cancer Australia; Mercy Health Aus; Queensland Council of Social Service; Save the Children Australia; Royal Children’ Hospital Melbourne; Walter and Eliza Hall Institute; Doctors Without Borders; Organisations and businesses; Facebook lol; National Drug Research Institute; 
    The Peter Doherty Institute for Infection and Immunity; ACMI; Harvey Norman; Queensland Rugby League; University of Southern Queensland; University of South Australia; Bond University; Gippsland Jersey; Regional Arts NSW; Queensland Maritime Museum; Brisbane Arts Theatre; Australian Wildlife Conservancy; Women’s Rugby League; United Nations Association Australia; Energex; RACQ; Stop Adani; Theatre Network Australia; Cricket Australia; AMP Australia; Chamber of Commerce and Industry; Queensland Theatre; Government Organisations (Including health departments); Bureau of Meteorology; NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service; South Australia Health
    Queensland Health; Sydney Local Health District; Western Sydney Health; SA Government; Tasmanian Government; Brisbane City Council; TransLink

Some of the eagle-eyed readers might have spotted Facebook in that list. That's right, those Facebook geniuses blocked themselves !!! This is an organisation headed up by a an individual who got his start with a website rating the 'hotness' of females on his campus - pure class.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    nicholfd said:

urahara said:
    Do I miss something?

To be fair, the other MSM in Australia are part of it too. We don need no murdockkk conspiracies. It’s like that Adam Smith quote about like businesses only get together to screw over the public, but in 18th century proper speak.
    watto_cobra