Satechi releases pair of Bluetooth remotes for Mac & iPad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Satechi has released a pair of new Bluetooth remotes to control presentations as well as media playback on both Mac and iPad.

Satechi's R1 (let) and R2 (right) remotes
Satechi's R1 (let) and R2 (right) remotes

The remotes, both made of aluminum with matte black buttons, have rechargeable batteries that power up over USB-C. They connect wirelessly over Bluetooth 5.0 with 32 feet of range.

The R1 offers forward and back control buttons, a quick-access keyboard button, and a black-out screen feature. It also has an integrated laser pointing for highlighting on-screen components.

The Satechi R2 remote has additional controls such as multimedia mode to control volume, skip/previous, play/pause, home/Siri, mute, and keyboard. In presentation mode, you have four-way arrows, left/right mouse buttons, and an on-screen laser pointer for use with Keynote and PowerPoint.

Both remotes work with common presentation software such as Keynote, PowerPoint, Prezi, and Google Slides, and also PDFs. The multimedia remote works with the Music app, Spotify, Pandora, and YouTube as well.

Satechi's R1 Bluetooth Presentation Remote is available through Satechi for $44.99 and Amazon as well. The R2 Bluetooth Multimedia Remote Control can also be picked up for $44.99 on Satechi's website and Amazon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Now if only they'd make one for the AppleTV. With real buttons for fast forward and reverse. Ya know...like a useable one...made for human sized hands...

gregoriusmITGUYINSDralphieelijahg
  • Reply 2 of 5
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    texfla said:
    Now if only they'd make one for the AppleTV. With real buttons for fast forward and reverse. Ya know...like a useable one...made for human sized hands...

You can use a different remote with it as long it's a reasonably recent model (something like gen 2 or later). Pick nearly any IR remote of your liking and have the Apple TV learn it. I understand the hate some of the ATV remotes get but I don't understand why people don't opt for a different remote if they don't like it.
    watto_cobratexfla
  • Reply 3 of 5
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    linkman said:
    texfla said:

You can use a different remote with it as long it's a reasonably recent model (something like gen 2 or later). Pick nearly any IR remote of your liking and have the Apple TV learn it. I understand the hate some of the ATV remotes get but I don't understand why people don't opt for a different remote if they don't like it.
    Problem is the IR sensor might not be visible for everyone. I have my Apple TV mounted to the back of my TV, for instance.

That has me wondering though, does anyone make a Bluetooth compatible remote that works with the Apple TV. Not that it really matters to me, I’m one of those rare few that loves the Siri Remote. 
    aknabiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    payeco said:
    linkman said:
    texfla said:

Problem is the IR sensor might not be visible for everyone. I have my Apple TV mounted to the back of my TV, for instance.

That has me wondering though, does anyone make a Bluetooth compatible remote that works with the Apple TV. Not that it really matters to me, I’m one of those rare few that loves the Siri Remote. 
    Logitech Harmony remotes with a hub (the higher-end ones like the "elite" and "pro") have bluetooth support for the Apple TV and work well. But I would be interested in a simpler bluetooth remove from Satechi -- if the price weren't too high.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    linkman said:
    texfla said:

Your point is completely valid for many users but the problem is that the IR remotes aren't as functional when line of sight is blocked. Mounting behind a TV or in a media closet is easier with bluetooth or RF remotes. There are solutions for IR routing over cat 6 and other methods but they add expense, complexity, and often underperform. I use a harmony remote with a IR repeater in a main TV area, for example, but the controller is expensive, oversized, and overcomplicated for other rooms.

Additionally, there is a potential functionality upside to using a remote made by the same company as the AppleTV...if they would only make a version that incorporated more of the feedback from so many disgruntled users. The general ask seems pretty straightforward...a little larger with explicit skip and FF/Rewind buttons. 

To be clear...I think your point is perfectly valid for some users, just not all of us.
    edited February 2021 elijahg