Chromecast with Google TV now supports Apple TV app, Apple TV+

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2021
Google has rolled out support for Apple's TV app and its Apple TV+ streaming service to its Chromecast with Google TV hardware, meaning users can now watch Apple originals on the Google hardware.

Credit: Google
Credit: Google

The search giant said back in December that the Apple TV app would be coming to its set-top device in early 2021. On Thursday, Google announced that the Apple TV app is now globally available on its new streaming hardware.

In the U.S., Chromecast with Google TV users will be able to browse Apple original content in their recommendations and search results. Users will also be able to use Google Assistant to open the Apple TV app or play an Apple original, and can add Apple TV+ content to their Google Watchlist.

Is this really happening? Are you really here?

The @AppleTV app has finally landed on your #Chromecast with Google TV!!! We can't even rn with this! https://t.co/SukHIYkRi0 pic.twitter.com/5nfJhOPBrg

— Made By Google (@madebygoogle)

Google says those features will roll out globally "in the coming months," but didn't give an exact timeframe.

The company unveiled its $150 Chromecast with Google TV device back in September 2020. Although it features a similar set of functions to past Chromecast hardware, the new device features a new dongle-like design and comes packaged with a remote.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Google has rolled out support for Apple's TV app and its Apple TV+ streaming service to its Chromecast with Google TV hardware, meaning users can now watch Apple originals on the Google hardware.
    The company unveiled its $150 Chromecast with Google TV device back in September 2020. Although it features a similar set of functions to past Chromecast hardware, the new device features a new dongle-like design and comes packaged with a remote.
    The Google thing is $50, not $150...

It would be interesting if Google included Airplay too.

I'm seriously considering getting a Roku to replace my 3rd gen ATV. I thought about going with the newer 4K ATV, but several Roku models have Airplay2 and Apple TV, plus Homekit support as well as 4K for a lot less. (I'm not as interested in gaming or other apps, so I can always Airplay mirror from my iPhone.)
    edited February 2021 tokyojimu
  • Reply 2 of 4
    The company unveiled its $150 Chromecast with Google TV device back in September 2020. 
    The Chromecast with Google TV actually costs $49.99. The only Chromecast/Android TV device that has ever cost more than $100 is the Nvidia Shield TV ($150 with the Pro being $200). 
    Although it features a similar set of functions to past Chromecast hardware, the new device features a new dongle-like design and comes packaged with a remote.
    Totally wrong. This is (technically) an Android TV device. While Android TV devices like this do have Chromecast capability it is a secondary feature. The primary mode of operation is having Netflix, Apple TV+ and other apps directly installed and executing on the device just as a Roku, Apple TV and Fire TV primarily work (with screen mirroring over AirPlay and DLNA being secondary). 

Why isn't it called Android TV? That is the "technically" part. Android TV is going away in favor of Google TV. There is a story behind it but rather than bore you with it - it is irrelevant anyway - just suffice to say that Android TV (while working fine as an OS) is a failure as a platform, brand and strategy. Google TV retains the OS - which again works fine - but is an entirely new platform/brand/strategy. It is part of a long-term Google strategy to pivot away from Android proper while still retaining the Android apps  - and even some of those will be transitioned to PWAs - but again another story for another day.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    roundaboutnow said:

You beat me to it.

They would if they could. However AirPlay is a proprietary protocol and standard whose use you have to license from Apple. Apple licensing AirPlay to Roku is no big deal as Roku is a tiny player but Apple IS NOT going to do so with real competitors like Amazon and Google.

But ... there are plenty of apps that offer a legal open source version of AirPlay. AirPin, AirPlayMirror etc. they are on the Google Play Store, are easy to use and rather reliable.
    edited February 2021
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cloudguy said:
    roundaboutnow said:

You beat me to it.

They would if they could. However AirPlay is a proprietary protocol and standard whose use you have to license from Apple. Apple licensing AirPlay to Roku is no big deal as Roku is a tiny player but Apple IS NOT going to do so with real competitors like Amazon and Google.

But ... there are plenty of apps that offer a legal open source version of AirPlay. AirPin, AirPlayMirror etc. they are on the Google Play Store, are easy to use and rather reliable.
    And 4K too.....