'Sign in With Apple' target of Justice Department antitrust probe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    I don’t understand the “I love Apple Sign In, this investigation sucks” comments.
    Forget for a moment what YOU prefer and the why as an end-user. 
    This is business level and market level. I haven’t thought of the reasoning from these developers yet, but they make a lot of sense. 

As flydog said:
    Antitrust law has nothing to do with privacy, and the fact that Apple furthers your personal interests doesn’t mean the justice system should ignore violations of antitrust and other laws. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 56

lojack said:
    So on my Windows 10 machine at home when I launch Blizzard's battle.net, the login window that lets me log in with my Blizzard account or Google, or Facebook, or Apple is restricting me to my iPhone?
    To Apple devices AFAIK. 
    And Apple is forcing developers to add this button, which is problematic. It should be optional. Even if Apple is claiming that it’s better for the user’s privacy, this is still a private company controlling an authentication method and demanding developers to include it (or else get denied on the store). 
    Very problematic. 
    edited February 2021 avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 56
    A completely optional sign-in based on privacy and non-disclosure of your email address to third-parties is anti-competitive? It’s. Optional.
    DetnatorwilliamlondontwokatmewMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 56
    Above_The_GodsAbove_The_Gods Posts: 25unconfirmed, member
    A completely optional sign-in based on privacy and non-disclosure of your email address to third-parties is anti-competitive? It’s. Optional.
    It's not optional for developers to add it into their app if they have other signal sign-on.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    It's not optional for developers to add it into their app if they have other signal sign-on.
    But it’s not compulsory that I press it. 

So what the developers are really saying is that they want to take away my choice to keep my data private.

Er … no.  

DetnatorbestkeptsecretJanNLFidonet127williamlondontwokatmewStrangeDaysn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 56
    rcfa said:
    Ridiculous! And where’s the antitrust investigation for sign-in with Google, Facebook, etc.?
    I'm assuming Sign In with Apple is targeted because signing in with Google and Facebook is possible from all devices, whereas Apple's is only available on Apple devices. 

It is sad that people are threatened by privacy. 
    williamlondontwokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Rayz2016 said:

So what the developers are really saying is that they want to take away my choice to keep my data private.

Er … no.  

Absolutely. 

Earlier, I had no choice but to create an account to download/ buy an app. But now, I have the choice of not sharing my email. That is very important to me.

Developers are crying because Apple is insisting on choice for the customer? At least they rolled back the requirement to make "Sign in with Apple" the first option!
    Fidonet127twokatmewwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56

lojack said:
    So on my Windows 10 machine at home when I launch Blizzard's battle.net, the login window that lets me log in with my Blizzard account or Google, or Facebook, or Apple is restricting me to my iPhone?
    To Apple devices AFAIK. 
    And Apple is forcing developers to add this button, which is problematic. It should be optional. Even if Apple is claiming that it’s better for the user’s privacy, this is still a private company controlling an authentication method and demanding developers to include it (or else get denied on the store). 
    Very problematic. 
    Screw the developers that don’t want to put it in. I’m tired of whining developers. If Apple didn’t require Sign In with Apple, then a good deal would not do it. Which leads to the people as product companies of Facebook and Google. I think Apple should tighten things down more by any app not owned by Facebook or Google to be prohibited from giving the option to sign in with Facebook or Apple. Plus third party tracking should be prohibited. Oh your app is a game that checks back with Facebook or Google? Then you are not allowed in the App Store. Oh you complained about privacy rules? Developer accounts are now revoked. Tighten the rules down further. The apps need a culling. Too many are in the App Store. 

All I want to hear from a developer that doesn’t like the privacy rules or  that they have to add, “sign in with Apple,” is “do you want fries with that.”
    edited February 2021 stourquewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, so all the talk about security and privacy by the government is a complete sham. If privacy disrupts the business models of advertisers then it’s a bad thing and must be stopped, right?
    Fidonet127stourquewatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    flydog said:
    rcfa said:
    Ridiculous! And where’s the antitrust investigation for sign-in with Google, Facebook, etc.?
    What you posted makes zero sense. The investigation is concerned with Sign In With Apple not working on non-Apple devices, and those login providers work on any device. 

To clarify, this doesn't mean that there is an antitrust violation here, only that your post is devoid of any coherent thought. 
    Agreed, but I think the biggest issue is Apple's requirement that developers must use Sign in with Apple, if they allow sign-ins with Google, FB etc. They don't like being forced to include it.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Everything Apple does make it sticky and hard for customers to go elsewhere that should not be a surprised.  This is nothing new, many companies have been doing this for a very long time. They want all your business and do not wanting you to go to a competitor. Whether Apple single sign-on is the sole thing that broke the camel's back which totally lock someone in is a joke. I personally have not used the single sign-on and when I do not want to share person information with a website I use my ancient Hotmail account which was set up a long time ago prior to when they required personal information. Hotmail does not know who I am other than the junk mail it collects for me. 

Now Apple's recent action on the App store where they trying to be the moral authority on what apps people can use, they definitely over step a line which it may cost them long term and may force Apple to allow users to down load apps from other stores. There is already case law on this subject, from the automotive industry when they use to tell people they could only use their part and fluids. App telling users they can only use Apps they authorize on your phone, it like you car dealer telling you can on use the gas they authorize you to put in the car.

The reason Apple is more sticky than most is the fact they have a good product and everything works well together. Do the competitors like this, hell no, since they failed miserable at achieving the same stickiness. Instead of looking internally to what they are doing they using the useful idiots in the government to attach their competitors. There are other things which Apple definitely over step on, but single sign on is not one of them and Companies claiming that app is blocking them from know who you are is not one of them since no company can claim any harm or right to knowing who you are.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Is there any developer that could tell us what benefits developers get form Facebook sign? Money, free add space, or just data they can use for they purposes?
  • Reply 33 of 56
    I could see the developers complaining if they were compelled to use "Sign in with Apple" and were not allowed other sign-in methods.  BUT THIS ISN"T THE CASE.  Apple allows the options of using facebook (ugh) and email sign-ons.  Case dismissed.  The 2 developers who removed all other sign-on options have created their own problem.  That's not Apple's fault.

I don't have an issue with Apple requiring that "Sign in with Apple" being on the same login screen as the other options.  It's their App Store and their rules, many of which are designed to keep us safe and secure which is the reason I chose Apple to begin with.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Right - IF they have the Facebook/Google sign ons. And people are free to choose whatever method they please. If the developer doesn’t like it, s/he is free to remove the sign on buttons and not use any sign on services.  Heaven forbid people have a choice. 
    n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    MplsP said:
    Right - IF they have the Facebook/Google sign ons. And people are free to choose whatever method they please. If the developer doesn’t like it, s/he is free to remove the sign on buttons and not use any sign on services.  Heaven forbid people have a choice. 
    "If the developer doesn’t like it, s/he is free to remove the sign on buttons and not use any sign on services". Hence the point of the antitrust. If I want to use Twitter sign-on alone, I can't. I'm being compelled to add Apple's service to my app, which I may not want to do, or else be rejected.
    avon b7
  • Reply 36 of 56
    But that isn’t the complaint. The anti-competitive complaint is that users will be locked in, despite it being optional for them to use. 
    edited February 2021 n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Rayz2016 said:

Er … no.  

It's compulsory that I, as a developer, add it to my app if I also have Twitter sign-on, or else the app will be rejected; that's the point of the antitrust.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Rayz2016 said:

Er … no.  

It's compulsory that I, as a developer, add it to my app if I also have Twitter sign-on, or else the app will be rejected; that's the point of the antitrust.
    Antitrust law only applies if the rules create a monopoly or prevent competition. This does neither. The fact that Apple has a rule that you don’t like is irrelevant  
    Fidonet127n2itivguyroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    flydog said:
    rcfa said:
    What you posted makes zero sense. The investigation is concerned with Sign In With Apple not working on non-Apple devices, and those login providers work on any device. 

To clarify, this doesn't mean that there is an antitrust violation here, only that your post is devoid of any coherent thought. 
    Uhhh....  YOU ARE WRONG!

How to use Sign in with Apple

"You can also use Sign in with Apple on participating apps and websites on the web and on other platforms like Android or Windows."
    n2itivguyroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    flydog said:

netrox said:
    Oh hell no. I don't want to share my email address to anyone. If I want to buy a product, I want my transaction to be as anonymous as possible. 
    And how is that relevant here?
    Because Sign-in with Apple makes that possible, and that IS what this article IS ABOUT - Sign-in with Apple.
    edited February 2021 watto_cobra