iMac redesigns, 'AirPods 3' leak, M1 Mac SSD wear on the AppleInsider podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion
This week on the AppleInsider Podcast we discuss alleged renders of the 2021 iMac redesign and smaller Mac Pro, plus a supposed image of "AirPods 3," questions over the SSD longevity on M1 Macs, and more!

2021 iMac

Well-known leaker Jon Prosser has provided what he claims are renders of the redesigned 2021 iMac. The key change is that these feature a flat edge design, minimal bezels, and five colors matching the iPad Air lineup. In addition, Prosser shared a render of the rumored small Mac Pro that seems inspired by the G4 Cube.

Separately, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that the mini-LED versions of redesigned 14- and 16-inch Macbook Pro models will be coming this year. In addition to their new display technology, Kuo claims that these Macs will include an HDMI port and SD card slot, something absent from the MacBook Pro line since 2015.

Speaking of predictions and leaks, a purported photo of the upcoming "AirPods 3" appears to show them resembling the current AirPods Pro design with a flat edge on the stems. The images published by 52Audio do correlate with existing rumors for the next version including silicon ear tips and shorter stems.

As for products that have launched and are in users' hands, some controversy has arisen over the longevity of SSDs on the new M1 Macs. An app called Smart Monitoring Tools has given users a much higher than expected "Percentage Used" score for their SSD raising concerns. While Apple has not officially commented on these results, a source inside the company claims the data provided by the Smart Monitoring Tools utility is inaccurate.

Also on this edition of the AppleInsider podcast, there are hints of Final Cut Pro moving to a subscription model, Spotify announces its HiFi lossless audio plan, Anker announces its first MagSafe battery back, and we review some listener feedback.

If you have questions or comments on the show, tweet at @stephenrobles and @wgallagher, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and support the show by leaving a 5-Star rating and comment in Apple Podcasts .

Subscribe and listen to our AppleInsider Daily podcast for the latest Apple news Monday through Friday. You can find it on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or anywhere you listen to podcasts.

Tune in to our HomeKit Insider podcast covering the latest news, products, apps and everything HomeKit related. Subscribe in Apple Podcasts, Overcast, or just search for HomeKit Insider wherever you get your podcasts.

Sponsored by:

Ladder: Protect your family with incredible term life insurance from Ladder. Visit ladderlife.com/appleinsider to learn more.

Nebia by Moen: The Nebia by Moen Spa Shower is Nebia's most advanced shower yet. Use code appleinsider for 15% off Nebia products! Visit nebia.com/appleinsider to learn more.

SmartAsset: Get a FREE, personalized retirement planning report when you to: smartasset.com/appleinsider

Subscribe to AppleInsider on:

Links from the show

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    matteblack13matteblack13 Posts: 15unconfirmed, member
    I don’t use Final Cut Pro but I am beyond tired of everything in life becoming a subscription. 
    Mephisdogolesapplecored
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Subscriptions might make sense as a steady stream of income in the software domain, especially since it means developers can implement updates on a ‘push’ rather than ‘pull’ basis, but at least give consumers the choice whether to purchase a piece of software outright or not. Final Cut Pro is, however, an expensive piece of software so subscription plans actually do make sense here –– but what I really loathe is that I cannot get a decent PDF application on my iPad Pro without having to pay a perpetual subscription fee for it in order to get the full feature set. (Speaking of which, I really wish Apple would release a version of Preview for iPad OS, but I guess they want to avoid monopoly claims from Adobe and its ilk.)