Austin Butler, Callum Turner to star in Apple TV+ 'Band of Brothers' sequel

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ begins filling out its cast for the upcoming mini-series "Masters of the Air," a sequel to HBO's award-winning "Band of Brothers."

Turner (left) Butler (right) | Image Credit: Gage Skidmore, Glenn Francis
Turner (left) Butler (right) | Image Credit: Gage Skidmore, Glenn Francis

Butler, who appeared in Quentin Tarantino's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," will star as Major Gale Cleven. Turner, who starred in the Wizarding World film "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald," will star as Major John Egan.

Based on Donald L. Miller's nonfiction title "Masters of the Air: America's Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany", the limited-run series will follow the true story of the young men who flew the bombers that helped bring Nazi Germany to its knees.

The series will be produced by Apple Studios, with Steven Spielberg, Tom Hanks, and Gary Goetzman serving as executive producers.

Deadline reports that the series will span 10 episodes that will cost more than $200 million to produce.

"Masters of the Air" marks the second show Apple has produced with Spielberg, the first being the episodic anthology "Amazing Stories" that launched in March of 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    How is a story about the US Army Air Corps a sequel to a largely parallel story about the 101st Airborne?

It's not even the same author…
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I always love documentaries, or even fiction, that makes me consider how blessed we are to have freedoms.

I just wish more people on these forums would realize that freedoms apply to corporations as much as they do to people.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    I always love documentaries, or even fiction, that makes me consider how blessed we are to have freedoms.

I just wish more people on these forums would realize that freedoms apply to corporations as much as they do to people.
    Amusingly, that was your post # 1776… don't ruin it.

People also need to realize that responsibilities apply to corporations as much as they do to people.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mknelson said:

Amusingly, that was your post # 1776… don't ruin it.

People also need to realize that responsibilities apply to corporations as much as they do to people.  ;)
    That was a delightful comment, thanks. But as a Canadian I usually don't notice the number "1776" since that's not part of my culture. The equivalent number for Canada would be 1867 which is coming up for me in about 90 posts.
    leavingthebiggwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,253member
    I always thought “The Pacific” was the sequel, but whatever. If it’s as well done as either that or BOB then I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    This is a step in the right direction.  They should do 2-3 or more war related shows.  Even a Civil War show, in this day and age, could be a good watch if done well.

I'd prefer a Revolutionary series on GW's exploits or more WW2 series.

Edit: Now that I think about it you could do a season per year on the Revolutionary War.  

1776(add a secondary title if needed)
    etc..

Maybe a "Road to Revolution" as a primer season. And of course a post Revolution season.
    edited February 2021 radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I’d love it if they made a movie about how Andrew Johnson destroyed Reconstruction and how U.S. Grant tried to save it. Or a mini-series. The series would start while Lincoln is still alive when he made the rules for Reconstruction. That is a story that needs to be made for HDTV. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 8 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    One of the most notable, and important Naval battles of WWII, was the Battle off Samar, which was a defensive action against a much larger Japanese Force during the Leyte landing in the Philippines,

This would make an epic film, showcasing Taffy 3, the defenders of Leyte Gulf.
    edited February 2021 radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Butler is too much of a pretty boy to be cast in a war epic...

• Reply 10 of 12
    An Major in the Air Corp is not a young man.  Looking a 35-40 years old range in WWII.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    As a Vietnam Vet, I'd like to see a Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan quality movie done for that war. There have been enough badly done that the appeal might not be sufficient. I don't mind if I never see another Oliver Stone movie about anything.

Short of that kind of movie I'd like to see a modern well done documentary on the Vietnam and Iraq air wars. But that doesn't seem like something Apple would do.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    By-the-by, there were plenty of pretty-boy soldiers in the Vietnam War and others no doubt, at least in the beginning. Even one tour in country can take a toll on that on a couple of levels.
    watto_cobra