Ongoing & enormous Microsoft Exchange server hack hits 30,000 US groups

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
The Hafnium hacking group in China has allegedly hacked at least 30,000 organizations in the United States using Microsoft Exchange Server, with the group said to have increased its activity in the wake of the hack's initial reports.

On Wednesday, Microsoft disclosed evidence that "Hafnium," a Chinese hacking group, was attacking servers in the United States and around the world using Microsoft Exchange Server. Microsoft also released emergency security patches to plug four security holes affecting Exchange Server version 2013 to 2019, which were used by the group.

By Saturday, hints of the extent of the hacking spree indicated it was wide-ranging and major in scale.

According to a source of Reuters on Friday, the attack had affected more than 20,000 US organizations. However, two anonymous cybersecurity experts who briefed US national security advisors on the attack told KrebsOnSecurity the number is far higher, in excess of 30,000 organizations.

Furthermore, despite the release of patches, the experts claim the group have stepped up their attacks, in a bid to gain access to unpatched Exchange servers. On a global scale, the attack is said to have affected "hundreds of thousands" of servers.

While unconfirmed, it appears that the mass hack is at a larger scale than that of SolarWinds. It is believed more than 18,000 organizations could have been affected by that network management software hack.

Even in the event organizations applied the patch, there is a chance they may still be affected. As part of the hack, the group leaves a "web shell" installed, a hacking tool accessible from a browser that provides administrative access to servers.

Organizations that apply the patches can prevent the hack from occurring, but the web shell could still be present on the system if they were hacked previously.

It is claimed victims still running the web shell include thousands of U.S. entities, including financial institutions, charities and non-profits, and the operations of emergency services.

"Even if you patched the same day Microsoft published its patches, there's still a high chance there is a web shell on your server," said security firm Volexity president Steven Adair. "The truth is, if you're running Exchange and you haven't patched this yet, there's a very high chance that your organization is already compromised."

The scale of the hacks has led to the US Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) to issue an emergency directive ordering federal departments and agencies to update their Microsoft Exchange servers or take the servers offline. White House press secretary has also warned the vulnerabilities "could have far-reaching impacts, with a fear there could be a "large number of victims."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    Looks like the Chinese didn’t want to be outdone by the Ruskies.

These communist dictatorships are desperate for western tech.  The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.  At least the Russians had a legitimate space program developed on their own.

And shame on us for being so naive.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 48
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    cg27 said:

These communist dictatorships are desperate for western tech.  The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.  At least the Russians had a legitimate space program developed on their own.

Naive and easy going.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    cg27 said:

They can be proud of their international hacking program at least, right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 48
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    cg27 said:

And all those “hacking groups” are in fact a part of the Chinese state and/or army.  So being naive on this
    it is a crime.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 48
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    This is why having MS servers facing the internet is a bad idea.
    edited March 2021 rob53olsGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 48
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    I really don't understand this continual hacking. If you're that smart and have that much time why not divert that energy to inventing something better rather than trying to look over your peer's shoulder. If the group you're hacking is that much more advanced than you, then though you're smart enough to steal it you're obviously not smart enough to understand it.
    edited March 2021 olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    omasou said:
    I really don't understand this continual hacking. If you're that smart and have that much time why not divert that energy to inventing something better rather than trying to look over your peer's shoulder. If the group you're hacking is that much more advanced than you, then though you're smart enough to steal it you're obviously not smart enough to understand it.
    It's the opportunity to look over 30,000 "peer's" shoulders, and give that information to those smart enough to understand it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    cg27 said:
    The Chinese should be embarrassed of their blatant stealing.
    The Chinese have defeated the US as far as their economy and I’m sure their embarrassed. 

If we could get our congress to stop reading Dr. Seuss and playing with children’s toys, we might not need to worry about it. 
    anantksundaramrezwitswatto_cobradocbburkFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 48
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    I guess none of you realize every country, especially the US, is involved in computer espionage on a daily basis. Before you complain about the Chinese or Russians check out the NSA, CIA and many others. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 48
    Kuyangkoh said:
    cg27 said:

Naive and easy going.....
    ... and cheap. 

We're getting the bill, item by item, for the true price of those "cheap" t-shirts and bric-a-brac we can't get enough of. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    cg27cg27 Posts: 213member
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:
    The Chinese have defeated the US as far as their economy and I’m sure their embarrassed. 

If we could get our congress to stop reading Dr. Seuss and playing with children’s toys, we might not need to worry about it. 
    Last I checked the Chinese don’t use GAAP accounting standards and have a lot of shady investments going on.  Also, of their 1.4B people, probably 1B are living hand to mouth, in very polluted air and water, not to mention in a totalitarian regime.  Hardly what I would consider a great economy, let alone a great place to live.  No thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 48
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:

Last I checked the Chinese don’t use GAAP accounting standards and have a lot of shady investments going on.  Also, of their 1.4B people, probably 1B are living hand to mouth, in very polluted air and water, not to mention in a totalitarian regime.  Hardly what I would consider a great economy, let alone a great place to live.  No thanks.
    But many right here in these forums think China is the greatest thing going, and any questioning of China’s motives is just sour grapes and racist. 
    zeus423watto_cobracg27
  • Reply 13 of 48
    They can be proud of their international hacking program at least, right?
    And having manufactured your iPhone, Android device, PlayStation, XBox and just about everything else electronic you use. Not to mention medications.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Since the early 70s, computer scientists have been pushing for requiring program correctness and provability. 

At least we did the fixes for the Y2K problems -- of course, because it was fixed, few people believe it was ever a problem -- a "fake" problem -- like all the "fake" problems the conspiracy theorists believe, while allowing the real problems to continue unabated. 

If people have been hacking into systems (NSA, CIA, China, Russia) then you need to realize the reason is because the production software was a hack to begin with. 

I paid some attention to this stuff when I was in academia (a long time ago). I don't know where the science is on these matters now. If there are computer programming language constructs that will ensure security, industry must be putting them into practice. Somehow I think the industry is wedded to "we've always done it like this", so are unwilling and unable to change. 
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 15 of 48

lkrupp said:
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:

But many right here in these forums think China is the greatest thing going, and any questioning of China’s motives is just sour grapes and racist. 
    One can criticize China heavily without resorting to saying how poor and sh*tty their country is and being defensive about racism, as both of you just did. 
    lkruppPezamacplusplusFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 48
    mariowincomariowinco Posts: 112member
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:

You probably have unrealistic ideas about how American people under average wage lives. Full disclosure: is more than 50% of the people living in US as average wage is higher than median wage. 
  • Reply 17 of 48
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    cg27 said:

"Us"????
    No, that's Microsoft -- otherwise known as the Swiss Cheese of security.

But, the point is well taken:   U.S. companies rarely suffer the consequences of being hacked.  That goes all the way back years ago to the Target hack.   Target suffered no consequences from the hack -- the damage was born by their customers.  And the same is pretty much true of  subsequent hacks of U.S. companies.

In one of that last -- the Equifax hack -- the company offered to pay damages of $125 to those whose information was stolen from their servers.  That sounded like a step in the right direction.   But then, when people actually applied for the relief, Equifax threw up hurdles that made it impossible to get the relief and instead pointed them to a free trial of their ID theft system.

These hacks will continue until the U.S. holds these companies responsible for their lax security.

So yeh, ok, maybe it is "us"!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 48
    What bothers me most about this is that Microsoft was recently chosen to build and maintain the central hub of our national defense -- the $10 Billion JEDI contract.

Why would anybody pick an organization infamous for its porous security for such a critical mission?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    lkrupp said:
    cg27 said:
    mac_dog said:
    cg27 said:

Many on these forums prefer facts to hate filled propaganda.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    qwerty52 said:
    cg27 said:

And all those “hacking groups” are in fact a part of the Chinese state and/or army.  So being naive on this
    it is a crime.

Funny how the hacking attack was carried out from U.S. servers -- but we, without evidence, blame the Chinese military.