Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai signs multi-year Apple TV+ deal

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:

cloudguy said:
    Pay $4.99 for a month of “Entertainment” on Apple TV+ ? or buy a Beer?

Decisions decisions.   

Beer me.

This won't exactly broaden the base of Apple TV viewers. They just keep piling on with more of the same stuff. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and Disney+ all have content to attract a wide variety of viewers. Sure, Netflix has Patriot Act and Chelsea Handler but they also have Adam Sandler, Kevin James and action movies like Extraction. Disney+ has Hamilton but they also have the Avengers movies. Amazon Prime: they have the usual awards bait stuff but they also have Jack Ryan. So long as their programming is dominated by things that Apple's own HR department wants to watch to pick up ideas on what to include in their training videos, Apple is going to have to keep giving the service away for free.
    Nah, you're just confusing Netflix "Throw an infinite amount of licensed crap on the wall" w/ a more curated library akin to HBO's direction. Quality, not quantity.
    Who's the one making money out of their streaming service, whose service has become a byword for streaming and is revered in society; and therefore has to be doing better than quantity over quality? Apple's entry into a market doesn't automatically mean everything else is suddenly shit. Except of course when iPhones and Macs were unveiled, and to a certain extent the Watch too. They all made the rest look like toys. AppleTV+ decidedly does not do that.
    LOL, what an absolutely stupid thing to get tribal about. Newsflash, son: Netflix has been at it much longer, with a large back catalog (of mostly junk) that they license from all the global market regions they operate in. But you're right --- if I want a supernatural Polish cop story, Netflix is the place to get it.

What you're seeing is two modes of operations -- the Netflix model, where you license as much crap as possible, and the HBO model, where you produce less content but it's generally pretty good/better. Now here's the crazy part....I'll let you in on a little secret...are you ready? (looks around) You don't have to pick just one. Ssshhh...keep it under your hat - we don't want everyone to know, right?
    So what you're saying, is you think AppleTV+ is as revolutionary as the iPhone. Got it. LOL.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    elijahg said:
    Netflix has a subtle way of increasing awareness of societal issues as part of a broader story arc. It makes people who wouldn't normally think about those issues take note, and it fits with the story. Apple's obsession with ramming unadulterated wokeness down people's throats only makes those who are already rabid progressives worse, and people who are more centrist just ignore this kind of programming altogether; and IMO, it taints their view of Apple. If Cook wants to commandeer a company to push societal change and his progressive agenda, he's chosen the wrong one to do it with.

Malala Yousafazi was shot in the head as a child for defying a ban on girls going to school. She is now an advocates for children’s access to education, particularly young girls. What kind of dinosaur do you have to be to define being pro-education for girls as “unadulterated wokeness” or “rabidly progressive”. 

But if you and other Taliban sympathizers  resent having the radical idea that girls should have access to education rammed down your throats and refuse to buy Apple products then I don’t imagine Tim really cares. 

My sincerest condolences to the women in your life. 

edited March 2021
  • Reply 23 of 28
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:
    Netflix has a subtle way of increasing awareness of societal issues as part of a broader story arc. It makes people who wouldn't normally think about those issues take note, and it fits with the story. Apple's obsession with ramming unadulterated wokeness down people's throats only makes those who are already rabid progressives worse, and people who are more centrist just ignore this kind of programming altogether; and IMO, it taints their view of Apple. If Cook wants to commandeer a company to push societal change and his progressive agenda, he's chosen the wrong one to do it with.

Malala Yousafazi was shot in the head as a child for defying a ban on girls going to school. She is now an advocates for children’s access to education, particularly young girls. What kind of dinosaur do you have to be to define being pro-education for girls as “unadulterated wokeness” or “rabidly progressive”. 

But if you and other Taliban sympathizers  resent having the radical idea that girls should have access to education rammed down your throats and refuse to buy Apple products then I don’t imagine Tim really cares. 

Please do point out where I said this in particular was unadulterated wokeness? She has been an incredible advocate for women's rights and for the rights of girls to get equal access to education. Women should unequivocally have equal rights in all areas, in every country. Malala is incredibly brave and truly admirable.

So no, jumping to the conclusion that I am a "Taliban sympathiser"  is entirely wrong and quite offensive. The merits her courage of Malala doesn't change the fact that Apple's agenda for AppleTV+ is leftish progressive content that is pretty niche.
    edited March 2021 mobird
  • Reply 24 of 28
    cloudguy said:
    There's absolutely nothing different about Apple's programming though... thematically or philosophically.  For every show on ATV+ there's an analog on the other major streaming services. 
    Look, I know that you like the Apple TV+ programming. And that you wish that the other channels were more like Apple TV+ in their programming choices. But the reality is that you aren't the market. So if Apple keeps this up, 90% of the U.S. population will have no interest in their network. Also, the result of more outlets becoming like Apple TV+ in their programming would be even more alienation from Hollywood TV and movies in favor of foreign entertainment, YouTube and social media. This has been happening for decades already anyway: network TV ratings are a tiny fraction of what they were 20 years ago (which themselves were much reduced from what they were 20 years prior) and so are movie ticket sales. And when you put the declining TV ratings and movie ticket sales in the context of the fact that the U.S. population has actually doubled in that time you realize that things are actually worse. 

What makes you think I like ATV+ programming?  Certainly nothing in my comments supports that opinion.  I've made no mention of what I think about Apple's programming because it isn't germane to the discourse.  You seem to be confusing disagreement with your opinion with liking ATV+ programming.  One has nothing to do with the other.  You think Apple's programming is agenda driven.  I disagree.  I think it's standard streaming formula.  You disagree. That doesn't mean I think you hate Apple's programming.  It means you disagree with my opinion. Just like I disagree with yours.  

Network TV rating aren't diminishing because of any of that supposition you're pushing.  The TV ratings are a tiny fraction of what they were because there's more content available from more varied sources than there were 20 year ago.  A lot of that content isn't factored into the ratings either.  You're making connections that don't stand scrutiny.  

• Reply 25 of 28
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:

Please do point out where I said this in particular was unadulterated wokeness? She has been an incredible advocate for women's rights and for the rights of girls to get equal access to education. Women should unequivocally have equal rights in all areas, in every country. Malala is incredibly brave and truly admirable.

So no, jumping to the conclusion that I am a "Taliban sympathiser"  is entirely wrong and quite offensive. The merits her courage of Malala doesn't change the fact that Apple's agenda for AppleTV+ is leftish progressive content that is pretty niche.
    You posted your comment in response to an article about Malala what else would one assume you were talking about other than the subject of the article you commented on. Maybe you are just prone to non sequiturs or maybe you are just trying to spin your way out of a prima facie dumb comment. You can also drop offended shtick. If you didn’t realize how absolutely time deaf your was given the subject of the article that is fine, we all make mistakes. Own it and update you comment. 

edited March 2021
  • Reply 26 of 28
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
  • Reply 27 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    It's so predictable that every article here about any ATV+ addition involving women or minorities or both bring out the chud commenters who are inexplicably triggered by THIS, of all things:

"This is said to cover dramas, comedies, documentaries, animation, and children's series, with a view to inspiring people around the world."

The horror.
    CloudTalkin