1Password for Mac update delivers Apple Silicon support

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 2021
Popular password management utility 1Password on Tuesday announced its flagship macOS software now includes support for Apple Silicon, a long-awaited feature for users who transitioned to a new M1 Mac.

1Password

Developer AgileBits revealed the change in release notes accompanying version 7.8 of 1Password for Mac.

"Additionally, in what will surely be the year of Apple Silicon, we are excited to announce that 1Password now runs natively on Apple's latest processors and hardware," the company says. "We've been unbelievably impressed at the speed and efficiency of the new Apple Silicon Macs and can't wait to see what form factors roll out next."

The update also includes a number of performance improvements and bug fixes.

With native Apple Silicon support, owners of the M1 MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini can access 1Password's vaults, generate strong passwords, integrate with web browsers and more, with all the power and efficiency Apple's new Mac chip has to offer.

AgileBits in November confirmed it was working on an M1-compatible version of 1Password for Mac despite capable translation on Rosetta. The company issued a universal binary that same month in the form of a beta release.

1Password version 7.8 is available through the official 1Password website and should be up for download through the Mac App Store soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Excellent software!I've been using for a number of years. Good to see it is compatible with M1-based Macs. And more and more software is becoming compatible (ie, without the need for Rosetta). I do plan on purchasing an M1 MacBook Air somewhat soon, but besides needing to make sure all the software I use is compatible with M1-based Macs, the most important one is Carbon Copy Cloner. Right now, it is not, although there is a round about way of making backups.