Apple reportedly cuts iPhone 12 mini production amid tepid demand

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2021
Apple has informed partner suppliers that it has reduced iPhone 12 mini production plans for the first half of 2021, with manufacturing of some specialty parts suspended altogether, according to a report on Wednesday.

iPhone 12 mini

Citing industry sources familiar with the matter, Nikkei reports major suppliers were recently informed of the production shift that marks a change in Apple's procurement strategy. Prior to the reported downward revision, the tech giant was aggressively buying semiconductors, printed circuit boards and displays amid a worldwide parts shortage.

Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. Much of that downgrade is blamed on iPhone 12 mini. Nikkei sources note that demand for other iPhone models like the iPhone 12 Pro remains strong.

Today's report echoes rumblings out of Apple's Asian supply chain in January when Pegatron supposedly saw reduced orders for the diminutive iPhone. Foxconn, which is tasked with assembling the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max, received an increase in orders for those models during the same period.

Apple introduced iPhone 12 mini last fall as an alternative to its flagship range, which has over the years entered into "phablet" territory. Though it sports a modest 5.4-inch display, the 12 mini integrates all the trappings of a modern iPhone including 5G connectivity, A14 Bionic processor, dual 12MP cameras with optical image stabilization, Face ID authentication and more.

Word of a soft demand first surfaced in November with TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo modeling lower than expected demand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Should have made the mini as a "Pro" version as well. I have the iPhone X and the mini has the same screen size, it would have been a simple decision to upgrade if the "Pro" had been an option for the iPhone 12 mini.
    edited March 2021 dm3williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    I want a mini.
    dm3entropyswilliamlondonfred1GeorgeBMacbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Fred257 said:
    I want a mini.
    Then go buy one.
    edited March 2021 dm3williamlondontmayRayz2016mike1chemengin1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Japhey said:
    Fred257 said:
    I want a mini.
    Then go buy one.
    Well, I did - over a month ago.

Had to get mine from an official Apple Store in Thailand as the local approved reseller iStudio (who offers higher trade-in for your old phone) didn't have the 256Gb model in stock... and they still don't, 6 weeks or so later.
    The Mini is lovely, as is a Flolab screen protector.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    “Tepid” demand in Apple world.  Any other mobile manufacturer would bleed to sell as many for any of their lines.

very happy with mine. Just what I was waiting for.

Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. 

is that all? Why should anyone be surprised that orders decline 20% after the launch quarter? These chaps are stock manipulating.
    edited March 2021 williamlondondewmeGeorgeBMacbaconstangJWSCDAalsethwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    I really like mine, perfect for front jeans pocket.
    williamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    entropys said:
    “Tepid” demand in Apple world.  Any other mobile manufacturer would bleed to sell as many for any of their lines.

very happy with mine. Just what I was waiting for.
    Apple is targeting output at around 75 million iPhone units for the first half of 2021, down 20% from December 2020, the report says. 
    is that all? Why should anyone be surprised that orders decline 20% after the launch quarter? These chaps are stock manipulating.
    Right?? 

Ugh it's ridiculous these "forecasts" of sales.

iPhone 12 mini is the best size there is. One user mentioned and I agree with him:  Apple should make a mini Pro, and actually, what I would really love is if they go back to their roots and start making 4" phones again.

baconstangJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I can’t wait to get my Mini. There are lots of glowing video reviews of it. 
    GeorgeBMacJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Returned the 12 pro, got a mini. Never looked back. Still hate the archaic notched screen. The lack of Touch ID. The fact that some of Apple’s own apps don’t conform/fit screens fully. Poor quality screens all still at 60hz. Very poor quality front/FaceTime camera. Very poor and terribly flawed battery life and management software.  All in all, Apple sucks. The  competition is just worse. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Speaking of mini I really enjoyed using the iPad mini.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Same story, different year and model. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Some simply prefer a smaller, lighter phone.
    I went from an iPhone 7 to an Xr and frankly miss my old iPhone 7.  Yeh, the Xr is far more capable, but it is also much bigger and heavier and does not fit into jean pockets nearly as well or comfortably.   And, in the winter I run with my phone on me in a jacket pocket and I can very much feel the added bulk and weight.

Fortunately, with an Apple Watch with LTE i simply don't have to lug that monster around and can leave it in my car if necessary and my watch takes care of almost all my needs without the phone.  So, when I upgrade, it will be a coin flip whether I go with the 12 or the 12 mini,   I like the screen size on one but the portability of the other.,   The good news is:  i can't make a bad decision!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It’s freaking GIGANTIC to be called a “mini”. Why the fu** is everyone obsessed with huge phones? It’s irritating. Had it actually been “Mini” I’d be running to get it.

I would still be using my 5s if it weren’t for the fact I broke it. That thing was TOUGH too. Smacked it into the ground numerous times. (Still works by the way the screen is just dark and has lines across it)

I have big hands and my iPhone 6s is too big to use. I have to stretch my thumbs to the limit for one-handed use. I can’t imagine how people with little hands are using these enormous iPhones!

Give me a screen the size of the iPhone 5 or even BETTER give me a screen the size of the iPhone 5 screen with notch or no notch and TouchID lock button.

People who’ve been waiting for the real “iPhone SE 2” (not the lost iPhone 9 we got) have been waiting forever. Maybe we’ll never get it but these new iPhones are gigantic.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Wall Street Analysts: For Apple to be relevant, it needs to make a smaller, less expensive phone. 

Apple fans: I’d buy a new iPhone, but I really want a smaller phone to fit in my hand and pocket better. 

Apple: Here you go—a full-featured iPhone 12, only smaller and less expensive. 

Apple fans: ::crickets::
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Wall Street Analysts: For Apple to be relevant, it needs to make a smaller, less expensive phone. 

Apple fans: I’d buy a new iPhone, but I really want a smaller phone to fit in my hand and pocket better. 

You left out Wall Street Analysts: What made Apple think this was a good idea?
    george kaplanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member

Still, iPhone mini is outselling almost everything except other iPhone 12 models. I am sure Apple is heartbroken and trying to decide if it should let this narrative run to cause some  fencesitters to panic buy, or do something as the weak minded fencesitters decide not to buy.
    edited March 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    It's interesting to see how much talk the mini generates.
    I think there is a legitimate market for this size - but Apple so frequently make the most compelling feature of the iPhones their cameras. The mini is lacking here. I would have definitely gone for it if it had the 3-camera set up. It felt just too similar to my iPhone X to justify the "upgrade".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 20
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Beats said:
    It’s freaking GIGANTIC to be called a “mini”. Why the fu** is everyone obsessed with huge phones? It’s irritating. Had it actually been “Mini” I’d be running to get it.

I would still be using my 5s if it weren’t for the fact I broke it. That thing was TOUGH too. Smacked it into the ground numerous times. (Still works by the way the screen is just dark and has lines across it)

I have big hands and my iPhone 6s is too big to use. I have to stretch my thumbs to the limit for one-handed use. I can’t imagine how people with little hands are using these enormous iPhones!

Give me a screen the size of the iPhone 5 or even BETTER give me a screen the size of the iPhone 5 screen with notch or no notch and TouchID lock button.

People who’ve been waiting for the real “iPhone SE 2” (not the lost iPhone 9 we got) have been waiting forever. Maybe we’ll never get it but these new iPhones are gigantic.
    I think they're about the same size -- except the Mini has far larger screen because it has no bezels.
    For myself, it took about 15 minutes to no longer miss the home button.

heinzelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    heinzelheinzel Posts: 120member
    Beats said:

I think they're about the same size -- except the Mini has far larger screen because it has no bezels.
    For myself, it took about 15 minutes to no longer miss the home button.

The mini is smaller than an iPhone 6/6s/7/SE but has a larger screen. I got one after my 5s died, and it’s awesome - faster than my computer, long battery life (longer than a full day, most of the time, even with multiple Zoom meetings per day), excellent cameras (although a telephoto would be amazing to have), and I frankly don’t care whether it scrolls content at 60 Hz or 120Hz. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Got the Mini.  Love it.  Performs like a champ, and fits nicely in shirt or pant pocket.  Life is good.
    watto_cobra