Apple could use Foxconn to assemble an 'Apple Car'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Following reportedly unsuccessful talks with existing car manufacturers, Apple may be considering using existing suppliers, such as Foxconn, for the production of the "Apple Car."

Apple's talks with car manufacturers may be continuing, but the company is said to be looking at existing iPhone assemblers too
Apple's talks with car manufacturers may be continuing, but the company is said to be looking at existing iPhone assemblers too

As reports continue that Apple is still in talks with various car manufacturers, a new claim suggests that the company may be forced to turn to its existing supply chain. Component suppliers and assembly partners such as Foxconn, or Magna, may be tapped for the production of the "Apple Car."

According to Bloomberg, talks with car companies have floundered over how such partnerships would work. Reportedly, manufacturers are not willing to become contract assemblers instead of car developers.

Bloomberg asserts that unnamed sources within the industry believe that Apple will turn to Foxconn and Magna. Foxconn is Apple's major iPhone assembler, while Magna is an auto industry firm that has previously worked on "Apple Car."

The new Bloomberg claim backs up recent reports that Foxconn has already been investing in car production, via Chinese electric vehicle company, Byron. Foxconn is now also working with EV maker Fisker to produce vehicles by 2023.

Bloomberg further claims that an unspecified Apple employee says that Foxconn is used to following Apple designs and requirements.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Makes complete sense. Foxconn would make the hard parts such as all the microchips anyway, building the car frame, etc, would be no challenge for them.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 2 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Yeh, that makes sense...

Like an Intel MacBook, most of it is made of off-the-shelf parts (or easily copied parts) that are simply assembled together.
    If you laid out all the parts going into a car (especially and EV with a reduced number of parts) I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of them ( from brakes to door handles to seats) can be  easily purchased from 3rd parties to then be assembled into a cohesive whole called an "Apple Car".
  • Reply 3 of 44
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    Then I'm out for the Apple Car. Hyundai I'm with. They are very experience with automotive assembly. Foxconn is not.
    saarek said:
    Makes complete sense. Foxconn would make the hard parts such as all the microchips anyway, building the car frame, etc, would be no challenge for them.
    Foxconn is not a foundry. They mostly assemble components sent to them from elsewhere around.
    elijahg
  • Reply 4 of 44
    saarek said:
    Foxconn doesn't make microchips. You may be thinking of a company like TSMC or Samsung.  The thought that manufacturing the car frame and other parts would be no challenge is inaccurate.  As evidence, look at the difficulties Tesla is still having with manufacturing tolerances.  They have done multiple iterations of 4 different vehicle and have not perfected their processes yet.  
    edited March 2021 caladanianelijahgcg27jcs2305
  • Reply 5 of 44
    Foxconn has the experience with the Apple Car.  Foxconn is logical choice.  
  • Reply 6 of 44
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Foxconn is not experienced in vehicle assembly and manufacturing, so I wonder how good this might be for Apple. I am actually thinking how Apple planned to do its car manufacturing when it started project Titan? I mean, Foxconn was not making any cars back then, so did Apple had a "backup" plan? Or did they just assume that other car manufacturers will simply say "yes" to them? This is perhaps Apple's biggest project in its history, and I really wonder how they thought about actually making their cars? Did they simply took a chance? 
    caladanian
  • Reply 7 of 44
    Having a company that has never made a car manufacture one for another company that has never designed or made a car does not seem like a recipe for success. Think of every applegate issue being subject to NITSA recalls.  
    mike1elijahg
  • Reply 8 of 44
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    Having a company that has never made a car manufacture one for another company that has never designed or made a car does not seem like a recipe for success. Think of every applegate issue being subject to NITSA recalls.  
    I suppose you could say the same thing about an iPhone.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Yeh, that makes sense...

Like an Intel MacBook, most of it is made of off-the-shelf parts (or easily copied parts) that are simply assembled together.
    If you laid out all the parts going into a car (especially and EV with a reduced number of parts) I think it is safe to say that the vast majority of them ( from brakes to door handles to seats) can be  easily purchased from 3rd parties to then be assembled into a cohesive whole called an "Apple Car".
    So I guess JC Whitney is going to be getting one hell of an order. 

Seriously though, I’ve worked on a couple of plant startups and things like stamping processes, chassis assembly which is typically done by welding robots, painting, also done by robots, assembly stations, all of the heavy load material handling equipment like conveyors, monorail,  AGVs, etc., don’t strike me as something that would transfer easily from iPhone/iPad assembly to automotive assembly. Some of the machinery required, like stamping presses take many months to build. 

I’m sure Foxconn could do it with an experienced partner and the right training. Look at Tesla. Plus, lots of subassemblies, up to and including the stamping requirements, and major components get outsourced anyway. I’ve only worked at one plant in North America that did pretty much everything onsite, getting raw materials in one end and pushing fully assembled cars out the other. Most plants are very specialized, so I’d assume that if Foxconn is involved they’d just be doing final assembly and perhaps paint shop stuff. Other suppliers would ship the bodies in white to them. 
    roundaboutnowGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 10 of 44
    emcnairemcnair Posts: 17member
    Apple has $193.82 billion in cash. If they are serious about building a car, then they should just buy an existing automobile manufacturer. For example, Mazda is currently worth 5.44 billion.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 11 of 44
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    I suppose you could say the same thing about an iPhone.
    No you really couldn't.  Foxconn had decades of experience manufacturing and assembling phones and other electronics well before their relationship with Apple.  The iPhone was squarely in their wheelhouse.  They have no proven expertise in automotive manufacturing or assembly.  
    edited March 2021 elijahgcg27muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 44
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

Holding discussions with existing auto makers never made any sense to me, unless they were feigning interest to gather Intel only.  If I were an automaker I wouldn’t even meet with Apple for exactly that reason.

Although this may sound counterintuitive, Apple is better off going it alone or with a limited set of partners they know and trust. Apple needs to understand how all the bits and pieces are manufactured. Jony Ive was a great designer because he knew how to make things with his own hands. Apple needs to grok all of this if they are to have any chance of success.

• Reply 13 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    saarek said:
    Yeah, like microchips are the only hard parts. They don't even make those. A typical car is about 1,000x more complex than a cell phone. Not to mention physically larger with foundry requirements. Or if it's plastic, massive plastic tooling. Foxconn would need to far more and new suppliers than they've ever had to deal with before. Not saying it's impossible, but it will certainly be a challenge.

cg27
  • Reply 14 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    emcnair said:
    Apple has $193.82 billion in cash. If they are serious about building a car, then they should just buy an existing automobile manufacturer. For example, Mazda is currently worth 5.44 billion.
    I think Mazda is already outsourcing a lot of its own manufacturing but I suppose it would give them some relationships already in place. 

I’d love to see Apple do the assembly in Wisconsin at the site that was set aside for the Foxconn fiasco. Something good could actually come from the political theater that took place there. The people of Wisconsin and the US deserve better than what they’ve been dealt. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 15 of 44
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    emcnair said:
    1. In order to buy something the other party has to agree to sell which is something that Mazda would never do.
    2. Not just Mazda but there are politicians involved. The Japanese government will never allow them to sell, and if you look at how Sony - now a fully American company (though they claim to be "global") is treating its Japanese workforce and consumers these days I do not blame them.
    3. Not just the Japanese politicians. The global regulators would never approve of it either, for mostly illegitimate reasons - Apple would never be allowed to buy Beats in today's environment either, and Google outright defied them in closing their FitBit purchase because they know that their breakup is inevitable anyway - but for some legitimate ones too.
    4. Finally, Apple has their reasons: their cherished reputation as a progressive, beneficial environmentalist company ... the "good" as opposed to the "bad" Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, oil companies etc. Were they to buy a company that currently makes ICE (internal combustion engine) cars, they would join the ranks of the evil polluters. However, scrapping the ICE operations in favor of EV ones would put a ton of high-salary employees out of work. It would also have Apple take on billions in annual losses on operations for years as right now the market for EVs is tiny compared to ICEs. 

So please, no talk about why Apple should buy this car company or that one. Any car company you name will run into at least 3 of the 4 barriers above. Apple really does need to go back to Kia/Hyundai with terms that both entities can agree on, which would be Apple paying Kia/Hyundai more money to be their manufacturing partner and licensing them some of their IP to be their design partner. The idea that any car company was ever going to accept being Foxconn was always absurd. 
    elijahgemcnair
  • Reply 16 of 44
    cloudguycloudguy Posts: 323member
    mike1 said:
    saarek said:
    Yeah, like microchips are the only hard parts. They don't even make those. A typical car is about 1,000x more complex than a cell phone. Not to mention physically larger with foundry requirements. Or if it's plastic, massive plastic tooling. Foxconn would need to far more and new suppliers than they've ever had to deal with before. Not saying it's impossible, but it will certainly be a challenge.

Not just that but there is the reality that cars ... can and do kill people. Lots of them. They are literally considered deadly weapons. Making them subject to a host of regulations that iPhones - mere consumer gadgets - do not have to deal with. Just meeting federal safety regulations alone makes manufacturing cars more difficult. But hey if you have the attitude "only Apple is capable of doing work that is really difficult and truly matters" then I guess you are going to see the world like this. Instead the truth is that Apple is incapable of designing and making the hardware components or writing the software standards that is used for their own products. Instead, Apple's brilliance has been primarily taking the more basic stuff done by others and assembling them in a way to make a desirable end product. Sorry, but car manufacturing is different, especially with respect to AVs and EVs, both of which are in their infancy. The former isn't even technologically or commercially viable yet and while the latter is technologically viable whether it would be commercially viable without extensive subsidies - both by the government and by sales of ICE vehicles underwriting their losses - is still very debatable. And I say this as someone who is very impressed by the improvements electric cars have made in a short time (I still remember where they were worthless for hauling big loads, more than a couple of passengers, or usage other than a secondary vehicle).
    edited March 2021 cg27
  • Reply 17 of 44
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA). 

It's okay for Apple and these other manufacturers to walk away from negotiations. That's their best alternative -- at this point. 

What has been reported is that Apple has been negotiating with companies who manufacture in the US. At this point, it looks like Apple Car jobs will not be coming to the US. One may bitch and moan about China, et al, taking American jobs, but the truth might be more like Americans, at the least their employers, don't see an upside to more American jobs. 

Apple has succeeded partnering with companies who were hungry and succeeding against companies that too satiated to try something different. 

Is Foxconn hungry? It does seem so. 
  • Reply 18 of 44
    Maybe Foxconn will finally use that Wisconsin facility it got all those tax breaks to build but never use. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 19 of 44
    KuyangkohKuyangkoh Posts: 838member
    Foxconn has the experience with the Apple Car.  Foxconn is logical choice.  
    What Apple Car?? Is there such a thing that Foxconn hade experienced you said??
  • Reply 20 of 44
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member

dewme said:
    emcnair said:
    I think Mazda is already outsourcing a lot of its own manufacturing but I suppose it would give them some relationships already in place. 

I’d love to see Apple do the assembly in Wisconsin at the site that was set aside for the Foxconn fiasco. Something good could actually come from the political theater that took place there. The people of Wisconsin and the US deserve better than what they’ve been dealt. 
    The Foxconn Wisconsin site was not designed for the manufacture of cars -- the promise was screens. 

Janesville Wisconsin was the site of a GM plant. Closed of course. Is there still a source of labor and skill from there?  But, there is no mass transit to bring the labor to the Foxconn site. True to form, Republican Governor Walker way back when, made sure to kill a train line, part of Obama's economic recovery proposals that might have been useful for this purpose. 
    CloudTalkinroundaboutnowGeorgeBMac