Apple launches new privacy webpage listing first-party data policies

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Apple has launched a new section on its privacy webpage that lists all of the specific data collection practices and policies of the company's first-party apps.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The new privacy tab, debuting Thursday, consolidates the "nutrition label" privacy information for first-party Apple apps. Though that information was previously available on the App Store, the new tab makes it easier for users to peruse exactly how Apple apps collect or use their data.

Every single Apple app is included here, ranging from developer tools like Xcode to iWork apps such as Numbers and Pages. Apple notes that across all of its apps, it doesn't track users. The company says that's because it holds itself to a higher standard than third-party developers on the App Store.

The list of apps may be longer than some people expected it to be. That's because different versions of apps like GarageBand have their own listing. The list even has privacy information for the App Store itself.

Apple first launched its App Store privacy "nutrition labels" in December 2020. Since then, it has required all developers to submit information for those labels before new apps or app updates are approved.

The feature is just one part of a broader pro-privacy push by Apple that also includes a new App Tracking Transparency (ATT) feature, which makes cross-platform tracking opt-in on a per-app basis. ATT is slated to launch in early spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    What happened to iOS 14 privacy measures (tracking,...)? First they were postponed – and now? When will they be introduced?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Early spring sounds not very specific. We will see. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Prove it. Create a bug bounty for developers that can find ways in which Apple is in violation of its own privacy policy. I have spotted a few myself.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    What happened to iOS 14 privacy measures (tracking,...)? First they were postponed – and now? When will they be introduced?
    in 14.5
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member

Prove it. Create a bug bounty for developers that can find ways in which Apple is in violation of its own privacy policy. I have spotted a few myself.
    like what??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member

It's coming. This is just Apple doing some necessary housecleaning, i.e., washing the windows on their glass house, before they officially release the next phase of their privacy initiatives on third party developers. The "do what I say, not what I do" thing doesn't play well with the tenants in the ecosystem.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    byronl said:
    like what??
    Are you offering to pay him? Why would he tell you for free?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    byronl said:
    like what??
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    byronl said:
    like what??
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
    I've spotted bugs in Apple's apps, but I just don't bother to report them. It's not worth my time. I actually like bugs because it means I'm the only one who is able to use that software since I'm one of the very few who has found workarounds.