Apple issues fourth macOS Big Sur 11.3 developer beta [u]

Posted:
in macOS edited March 2021
Apple has provided a new fourth build of its macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta to participants in its developer testing program.

The latest betas and configuration profiles can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center, with subsequent changes available as over-the-air updates on enrolled Macs and MacBooks. Public beta versions are usually provided within days of the developer-aimed beta.

The fourth build follows the third developer beta from March 2, the second on February 17, and the first on February 2. The latest public beta, the third round, was issued on March 3.

Relatively few changes have been uncovered so far, with highlight alterations being redesigned Apple News+ tabs, the Listen Now section of Apple Music gaining a Made for You shortcut and live events, and sorting changes in Reminders. The update also includes standard bug fixes and improvements.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. It is advisable to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data beforehand.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Public beta also available.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I hope this addresses the USB speed issue.
  • Reply 2 of 5

I'm getting this dialog box this morning, trying to install the latest Big Sur update. I tried clicking on more info, however nothing comes up. I canceled the restart to install. 

I sent a not so nice feedback.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I updated anyhow, and my Intel Mac programs are still working.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Been testing OS 11.2.2 on an external Samsung SSD, and it works fine. Waiting for OS 11.3 to be released, and I will then make the move from Catalina, OS 10.15.7, to Big Sur, OS 11.3. Hopefully Tech Tool Pro (latest version is 13.0.2) will work fine. The one thing I do "lament" is the loss of SuperDuper!. Yes, there is a somewhat clumsy way of using it with Big Sur, but given that both of my Macs are Intel-based, the latest versions of Carbon Copy Cloner work like normal with Big Sur, and thus I will be moving to CCC.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I updated anyhow, and my Intel Mac programs are still working.
    Newly installed Intel apps might not work any more. Rosetta keeps a translation cache so apps that have already been translated will be in the cache. The following site has a list of Rosetta apps. If any of those haven't been installed and Rosetta has been removed, they won't run:

https://isapplesiliconready.com/for/rosetta