Apple might soon pay for Wikipedia content

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Wikipedia will soon launch a paid option allowing major technology companies like Apple and Google to consume and deliver Wikipedia content more efficiently.

Credit: Luke Chesser/Unsplash
Credit: Luke Chesser/Unsplash

The Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia and other projects, on Tuesday launched a new endeavor dubbed Wikimedia Enterprise, Wired reports. According to the foundation, the platform "provides paid developer tools and serves that make it easier for companies and organizations to consume and re-use Wikimedia data."

Although the program is launching later in 2021, Wired notes that conversations between the Wikimedia Foundation and major technology companies are "already under way." The report doesn't specify which major tech firms are included in the discussions, but Apple and other technology giants currently use information from Wikipedia across their platforms. Apple, for example, uses the content in Spotlight search results and Siri responses.

Additionally, the Wikimedia Enterprise program won't automatically replace the free option that technology companies currently use. According to the team that worked on the new project, the new option is an experiment toward sustainability and maintaining independence for the platform. It won't, however, fundamentally change how the platform works for anyone else.

"This is the first time the foundation has recognized that commercial users are users of our service. We've known they are there, but never really treated them as a user base," said Lane Becker, a senior director at the Wikimedia Foundation.

As Becker notes, the major technology companies have teams dedicated to making the content work on platforms like iPhone or Mac. That involves "a lot of low level work -- cleaning and managing -- which is very expensive." Because of the issues and inefficiencies of the free option, however, major companies may opt for the paid platform.

It isn't clear if Apple and the Wikimedia Foundation will come to an agreement on a content partnership, or if those two entities are even currently in discussions.

Stay on top of the latest Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a quick update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    What a horrible idea
    williamlondonbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Paying to keep Troll Central afloat? Apple should demand Wikipedia to adhere to its own guidelines and stop the rampant editing by trolls like the "Guerrilla Skeptics" and others like them. JW fully supports these though.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 16
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    I have Wiki on my 'Favorites" bookmarks, since most of the time I search, Wiki is one of the top hits.

I also send them $25 each year during their fundraiser.
    gregoriusmhammeroftruthfotoformatwilliamlondonjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,124member
    Paying to keep Troll Central afloat? Apple should demand Wikipedia to adhere to its own guidelines and stop the rampant editing by trolls like the "Guerrilla Skeptics" and others like them. JW fully supports these though.
    You like your planets flat and full of Nazis, eh?

https://www.wired.com/story/guerrilla-wikipedia-editors-who-combat-conspiracy-theories/
    roundaboutnowbageljoeyJWSCbaconstangrundhvidRayz2016darkvaderStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    mknelson said:

https://www.wired.com/story/guerrilla-wikipedia-editors-who-combat-conspiracy-theories/
    I had never heard of the “Guerrilla Skeptics” before so I looked them up and read.  And then I asked myself, well what’s wrong with what they’re doing?  What’s Planetary Paul’s beef?  I don’t get it.
    darkvaderkingofsomewherehotbaconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    I hope this works out for Wikipedia, it is the only part of the internet that hasn’t disappointed me, even with the occasional flat planet filled with Nazi’s.
    baconstangwilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I am surprised to read negative content here about Wikipedia going for this option.

Why should a non-profit foundation that has built the worlds largest free and ad-free encyclopedia, a massive feat, pay for the data that Apple and other commercial giant tech companies request from their servers? 
    I’m not sure everyone understands this, but requesting a web page or anything on your server, ends up cost to you.

This is a great idea, very reasonable, and it was about time. It’ll make the platform less reliant on donations from individual consumers and small entrepreneurs, and the revenues will further strengthen their ability to improve the platform over time. 
    It’s not that they’ll start using this for commercial monetization; as a foundation there are rules to adhere to.
    baconstanghammeroftruthfotoformatInspiredCodewilliamlondonStrangeDayskingofsomewherehotjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Seriously man, what’s your beef with a non-profit foundation that has built the largest collaborative encyclopedia, accessible for free and without ads? 
    InspiredCodewilliamlondondarkvaderStrangeDaysbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 9 of 16
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Good idea. 

Btw, I give wiki foundation $200 a year to make up for all the deadbeats. 
    hammeroftruthwilliamlondonStrangeDaysjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Will Wiki start paying its contributors now? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Will Wiki start paying its contributors now? 
    Wiki is a foundation and contributors are volunteers, so no. 
    Wiki is seeking cost recoupment for data costs, not to make profits.
    InspiredCodewilliamlondonStrangeDaysbaconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    JWSC said:
    mknelson said:

I had never heard of the “Guerrilla Skeptics” before so I looked them up and read.  And then I asked myself, well what’s wrong with what they’re doing?  What’s Planetary Paul’s beef?  I don’t get it.
    Some people don’t like their narrow-minded, deeply-ingrained wrongness interfered with by statistics and facts. 
    williamlondondarkvaderStrangeDaysbaconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

larryjw said:
    Good idea. 

Btw, I give wiki foundation $200 a year to make up for all the deadbeats. 
    Now I feel like a cheapskate. I only give them twenty a year. 😕
    williamlondonbaconstangjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I am surprised to read negative content here about Wikipedia going for this option.

Why should a non-profit foundation that has built the worlds largest free and ad-free encyclopedia, a massive feat, pay for the data that Apple and other commercial giant tech companies request from their servers? 
    I’m not sure everyone understands this, but requesting a web page or anything on your server, ends up cost to you.

This is a great idea, very reasonable, and it was about time. It’ll make the platform less reliant on donations from individual consumers and small entrepreneurs, and the revenues will further strengthen their ability to improve the platform over time. 
    It’s not that they’ll start using this for commercial monetization; as a foundation there are rules to adhere to.
    If Wikipedia wasn't part of the new Big Tech Tyranny, it would be fine.  But they are.  I use it too, but the reputation for political bias is something to be noted.  I don't think pairing with the two biggest companies in the world is going to help with bias, censorship, etc.  We'll see.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    sdw2001 said:

If Wikipedia wasn't part of the new Big Tech Tyranny, it would be fine.  But they are.  I use it too, but the reputation for political bias is something to be noted.  I don't think pairing with the two biggest companies in the world is going to help with bias, censorship, etc.  We'll see.  

Wikipedia doesn't have a political bias. 

My only problem with Wikipedia is the strong deletionist bias.  It's not a paper encyclopedia, there's no shortage of storage space, there's no reason to delete valid, sourced information even if it's somewhat obscure.  But there's a powerful cabal on there who look for information to remove, who regularly try to have articles deleted, and who often succeed.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Pull your tinfoil helmet down tighter, son.
    edited March 2021 kingofsomewherehotbaconstangjony0watto_cobra