Apple seeded disinformation about March 23 event to root out leakers, leaker says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,075member
    Fred257 said:
    Apple is such a perfectionist boring company.  The rumors of innovation are the only exciting thing about it.  Without it, Apple has no excitement for me, none!!
    Thanks for the hot take. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Beats said:
    I hope this is true and would be smart. Too many knockoff Apple companies realize rumors into shi**y products and when Apple does eventually perfect and release their product we get some iKnockoff moron claiming “Apple copied!” as if Apple spends 2 weeks to develop new products and tech.

Fred257 said:
    Apple is such a perfectionist boring company.  The rumors of innovation are the only exciting thing about it.  Without it, Apple has no excitement for me, none!!

The rumors are more exciting than the actual products? Pathetic.

I’d rather Apple sustain their company and revolutionize lives than to have random people get their rocks off of rumors.
    I have yet to be revolutionized by any and all the Apple products I’ve bought and used of the past few decades. 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,007member
    lkrupp said:
    Why can’t these leakers be charged with stock manipulation and fraud?
    First, are you talking about the leakers or the people like prosper and Kuo who report the leaks? And just how would you charge them with fraud or stock manipulation? Everything from Prosser and Kuo is known to be rumor and thus suspect. They could be charged with stock manipulation if they are specifically making statements to influence the stock price and profit from it (i.e. insider trading) but there doesn't seem to be such evidence. The actual leakers may be doing so, but we don't even know who they are so how would they be charged?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,986member
    darkvader said:
    I hope it’s true. I get tired of not being surprised at product unveiling events. 

Before someone chimes in with “you should stay off rumor sites”, I’ll mention that there are more than simply rumors on AI. I can come here for Apple news, read about new HomeKit products (that aren’t from Apple), etc, and still see headlines that could reveal something about an unannounced product.

If you don't want to know about unannounced products, you should stay off rumor sites. 

The rest of us WANT leaks, and want them earlier than we get them now.

So hopefully it's not true, and the March 23 event was simply canceled before it was announced.
    Speak for yourself. I find these leaks and NDA breaking sneak peaks at beta software annoying. 
    Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 4,007member
    DAalseth said:
    darkvader said:
    I hope it’s true. I get tired of not being surprised at product unveiling events. 

Before someone chimes in with “you should stay off rumor sites”, I’ll mention that there are more than simply rumors on AI. I can come here for Apple news, read about new HomeKit products (that aren’t from Apple), etc, and still see headlines that could reveal something about an unannounced product.

If you don't want to know about unannounced products, you should stay off rumor sites. 

The rest of us WANT leaks, and want them earlier than we get them now.

So hopefully it's not true, and the March 23 event was simply canceled before it was announced.
    Speak for yourself. I find these leaks and NDA breaking sneak peaks at beta software annoying. 
    I'm not trying to be a prick, but if you find them annoying you should just avoid the stories. I get that some people don' like them, but there's obviously a large appetite for the stories, otherwise sites wouldn't keep publishing them and people like Prosser and Kuo wouldn't keep announcing them.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,612member
    dormlock said:
    lkrupp said:
    The FTC Act prohibits publicly trade companies from lying: 

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/federal-trade-commission-act <--
    https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/statutes/federal-trade-commission-act/ftc_act_incorporatingus_safe_web_act.pdf <--

Section 45.1 of that act says:
    Unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, are hereby declared unlawful.
    Apple may be breaking this act by lying about product release dates (if it did in this case.) It's arguable. The FTC spends a lot of its budget investigating and enforcing this very rule. Investors and stockholders make investment decisions based on rumours like new product announcements. If the rumours are false and intentionally false by Apple, this could be an infraction of the law. If I was Apple, I would limit the false rumours to "less financially important things" like the selection of colours of iMacs.
    Except that apple didn't release anything to the public. They disclosed plans with a number of employees about an upcoming event with mostly likely the usual not to be shared with anyone outside of the company or with other departments not needing to know. Some of those people then ignored their responsibility to protect that info and leaked it.
    Isn't it equally possible Apple decided they needed to delay the next event due to marketing or product readiness? Yes, they may have planned one this week initially, then since it wasn't officially announced, moved it to next month. Or the following month, or whenever. Orit could be the guess this article makes.  Has Apple announced an upcoming event yet?
  • Reply 27 of 28
    There may be fewer leaks if Apple just offered more general information on product refresh cycles. I think they could do it in some cases without losing competitive advantage. At the moment rumors are essential for making purchases decisions over products that are not refreshed on regular cadence.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,606member
    gatorguy said:
    dormlock said:
    lkrupp said:
    The FTC Act prohibits publicly trade companies from lying: 

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/statutes/federal-trade-commission-act <--
    https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/files/documents/statutes/federal-trade-commission-act/ftc_act_incorporatingus_safe_web_act.pdf <--

Section 45.1 of that act says:
    Unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce, are hereby declared unlawful.
    Apple may be breaking this act by lying about product release dates (if it did in this case.) It's arguable. The FTC spends a lot of its budget investigating and enforcing this very rule. Investors and stockholders make investment decisions based on rumours like new product announcements. If the rumours are false and intentionally false by Apple, this could be an infraction of the law. If I was Apple, I would limit the false rumours to "less financially important things" like the selection of colours of iMacs.
    Except that apple didn't release anything to the public. They disclosed plans with a number of employees about an upcoming event with mostly likely the usual not to be shared with anyone outside of the company or with other departments not needing to know. Some of those people then ignored their responsibility to protect that info and leaked it.
    Isn't it equally possible Apple decided they needed to delay the next event due to marketing or product readiness? Yes, they may have planned one this week initially, then since it wasn't officially announced, moved it to next month. Or the following month, or whenever. Orit could be the guess this article makes.  Has Apple announced an upcoming event yet?
    We get so used to specific event timings that we get all upset if Apple changes dates on us. At this point in time, the only product problems they could have is a last minute manufacturing problem. I read that they are one of the very few companies not affected by chip shortages, but who knows? Maybe they just wanted more time for some reason or other.

but in my experience in getting every tablet Apple had made until the Pro came out, and after, just those, I’m used to being frustrated that Apple doesn’t seem to have a specific schedule for iPad intro’s. Maybe a couple of years they come out at the same time, and then they don’t. Maybe the timing this year is due to efforts on the M series lines. Maybe trouble producing the mini LCD screens. Maybe they just weren’t in the Mood.
    watto_cobra