Eve Weather review: a worthy HomeKit weather station that's as powerful as you make it

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Eve Weather is a new HomeKit-only weather station that replaces the outgoing Eve Degree with new features and Thread connectivity. We look at how those changes help justify the cost of the handy device.

Eve Weather
Eve Weather

The all new Eve Weather

The new Eve Weather looks very familiar if you've seen Eve's current lineup. Its design is the same size as the Eve Degree but matches the Eve Button and Eve Room 2 with its anodized aluminum edges and a black front. It looks modern and sleek and will likely fit with any aesthetic from "urban farmhouse" to "Soho chic."

It runs on a simple CR2450 battery. Thanks to its IP65 rating, it can withstand the elements outdoors, such as rain and snow.

Eve Weather mounted on our porch
Eve Weather mounted on our porch, out of direct sun

Once properly mounted, Eve Weather can capture temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure and display it all on the front-mounted LCD.

The device works exclusively through HomeKit, so setup is as easy as pressing the activate button on the back and scanning the pairing code located on the bottom. Once in HomeKit, you can assign it a name and a room in your home. The values can be seen in the Home app or queried via Siri.

Placement of the device is crucial, as with any thermometer. If placed outside in direct sun, this will make the measurements inaccurate.

A worthy upgrade?

The screen is now significantly larger than its predecessor and can present more data to the user. The Eve Degree could only display one piece of information at a time, and users had to use the app to alternate it. This wasn't ideal if you just wanted to take a glance to see humidity if the temperature was on-screen.

Eve Weather uses the information collected from the temperature, humidity, and pressure sensors to predict the forecast for your immediate area for the next 12 hours. This is all done locally and doesn't rely on external sources of information.

Eve Degree (left) and Eve Weather (right)
Eve Degree (left) and Eve Weather (right)

Finally, this new device will connect over Bluetooth just as the old one. And, it will also connect to Thread -- but more on that in a few.

Together, these upgrades present a device that builds on the successes of the prior generation with genuinely useful features. But it still carries a decent price tag, and it isn't your only option in the HomeKit space.

Your other HomeKit options

In the HomeKit space, there are shockingly few weather stations available. The only natural alternative is the Netatmo Smart Home Weather Station which carries a price tag twice that of the Eve Weather.

Netatmo presents a compelling choice by bundling both an indoor and an outdoor sensor into its design. The indoor sensor will measure temperature, humidity, air quality, CO2, and sound. The outdoor sensor measures temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, and air quality and predicts the forecast.

Netatmo is very similar to the Eve Weather and the indoor-focused Eve Room in what information it collects.

Where Netatmo has an edge is the expandability with other sensors that aren't in HomeKit. That includes a rain gauge and wind anemometer. It is a complete package overall but gets very expensive when you invest in the entire package.

Eve has an edge when it comes to design and connectivity, as well as its HomeKit-only support. Eve has been very fast to implement new features to its products as Apple has added them. It is also much smaller and easier to mount -- both indoor and out and has a display for glanceable information. There is also Thread support in the Eve Weather, a still-emerging technology that offers better connectivity.

If you want the more encompassing package, Netatmo may be a better call, but if you are building your home piecemeal and prefer the benefits of Eve, the Eve Weather may be the better choice.

Thread is hugely beneficial

Thread is going to be very important for the smart home. We've talked about it extensively on the HomeKit Insider podcast, interviewed executives on its potential, and wrote in-depth about why you should care.

Viewing our Thread network in the Eve app
Viewing our Thread network and devices in the Eve app

Looking at Eve Weather specifically, it has big implications in usability. Without Thread, Eve Weather (and previously Eve Degree) relied on Bluetooth Low Energy to connect. This wasn't ideal as exterior Bluetooth connections are rare. Your Home Hub -- Apple TV or HomePod -- wouldn't reach that location. Thread, on the other hand, is quite likely.

With Thread, there are three types of devices -- devices that can act as a "router," ones that qualify as a border router, and others that are endpoints.

A border router is something like the HomePod mini, that bridges your Thread network with your home's internet. A standard Thread router can pass information to other Thread devices and expand the Thread mesh network. And a Thread endpoint can connect to your mesh Thread network but cannot expand the mesh further.

Routers are devices that are constantly connected to a power source. For example, the Nanoleaf Essential lightbulb and light strip are Thread routers, as is the new Eve Energy. They are powered by your house's wiring, rather than a battery. Endpoint devices include the latest Eve contact sensors, the Eve Aqua, and the new Eve Weather.

Because of this mesh network, if you have a Nanoleaf Essentials light bulb, a HomePod mini, an Eve Energy, or any other Thread router-enabled device near that side of your house, it will connect much more reliably than Bluetooth.

In our testing, our Nanoleaf bulbs in our basement were able to connect to the Eve Weather on our front porch and provide constant connection whenever we queried HomeKit for the weather. This is a much better solution than Bluetooth and doesn't require an outlet or Wi-Fi connection.

There are good reasons to try a HomeKit weather station

It's easy enough to check any number of weather apps from the App Store, to ask Siri on your HomePod, or mount a simple "dumb" thermometer outside, but none are going to be ideal.

Eve Weather sensors in the Home app
Eve Weather sensors in the Home app

A weather app generally crowd-sources weather stations that probably aren't in your backyard. While the information is generally accurate, it depends on how far you are away from that weather source, and it can be a fair bit of work tracking down which data source is best for you.

Siri only pulls from one weather source, and it certainly isn't what is at your house. That weather also can't easily be used in any home automation. With Eve Weather mounted at your house, you can ask Siri for the weather on the porch, and you'll get a hyper-accurate reading.

A "dumb" thermometer gives you no information other than a singular reading at one point in time.

Through the Eve app, you have easy access to your home's collected data. You can see what the temperature was yesterday or a year ago -- well, you will be able to a year from when you put the sensor in. The Eve app shows all collected information graphically and allows you to compare different times.

Eve Weather metrics and graphs in the Eve app
Eve Weather metrics and graphs in the Eve app

The reporting is verbose, and you can see individual measurements and the points on a graph. Graphs can be changed from an hourly view to daily, weekly, and monthly as well. A bright blue line marks any time it dips below freezing to make it easy to pinpoint.

HomeKit also unlocks the ability to create automation rules based on temperature or humidity. If the humidity rises to a certain level -- indicating rain -- maybe you want the garage door to close. Maybe turn your office fan if the outside breaches 80 degrees. Pause your Eve Aqua for the day if the humidity indicates rain. Or using Shortcuts, you can trigger a notification if the temperature drops below freezing.

You could even get crafty and create alert automations that warn you if the current weather metrics predict frost, such as high humidity and low temperature after 7 PM.

The final verdict on Eve Weather

We've used the Eve Degree for a couple of years now and found it a reliable device limited in part by HomeKit and part by its Bluetooth connectivity. We were also annoyed at the small display. If we wanted to look out and see humidity, but the temperature was displayed, we would have to switch it in the app or look at the Home app.

Eve has solved its issues here with the Eve Weather, but HomeKit still lacks in its weather station implementations. It would open more doors to see HomeKit add support for rain and wind alongside barometric pressure, humidity, and temperature.

Eve Weather is a fantastic HomeKit weather station
Eve Weather is a fantastic HomeKit weather station

But Eve isn't responsible for what Apple does or doesn't do. Eve has made the best of what HomeKit offers, including relying on no external servers and putting privacy at the forefront.

Eve Weather is a great-looking device that provides valuable information and the Eve app goes further with graphs, comparisons, forecasts, and more. It's impressive what Eve can do with such a small amount of info.

If you've already bought into HomeKit, or are just starting your smart home, Eve Weather is a great addition.

Pros
  • Sleek design

• Caputres current temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure

• Uses local merics to predict 12-hour forecast

• Larger display makes all information glancable

• Stores historic metrics as well as displays them graphically and allows compares

• Thread connectivity

• Battery powered

• Create automations based on weather

• HomeKit only for ultimate security and privacy

• Eve app is fantastic
Cons
  • Limited by HomeKit

• Without proper placement, sun can skew metrics

• No rain, air quality, or wind measurements

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Where to buy

Eve Weather will be available on Amazon soon for $79.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Without the ability to measure rainfall or wind the Eve is a non starter, for me.

A weather app generally crowd-sources weather stations that probably aren't in your backyard. While the information is generally accurate, it depends on how far you are away from that weather source, and it can be a fair bit of work tracking down which data source is best for you.

A hundred dollar eBay weather station can be set up in your backyard to become one of those weather stations that can upload data to weather underground et al. Which you can then read with one of a range of apps and does everything such as rainfall, UV as well as all the more expensive Eve or Netatmo products. The apps can also as noted give info from neighbours’ stations and you get to see how the microclimate varies with distance. You can also see whose weather station is clearly dodgy, of course.

I am not sure HomeKit functions in this space are that worthwhile given that the wifi range of a basic weather station is more than adequate and the indoor console or your app of choice does everything. 

That said the eve looks a lot more attractive than those eBay jobs.
    edited March 2021
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    entropys said:
    Without the ability to measure rainfall or wind the Eve is a non starter, for me.

A hundred dollar eBay weather station can be set up in your backyard to become one of those weather stations that can upload data to weather underground et al. Which you can then read with one of a range of apps and does everything such as rainfall, UV as well as all the more expensive Eve or Netatmo products. The apps can also as noted give info from neighbours’ stations and you get to see how the microclimate varies with distance. You can also see whose weather station is clearly dodgy, of course.

I am not sure HomeKit functions in this space are that worthwhile given that the wifi range of a basic weather station is more than adequate and the indoor console or your app of choice does everything. 

I totally agree that rain and wind are crucial, but unfortunately, HomeKit doesn't include these. Eve does *everything* with HomeKit. They don't want the Eve app to be necessary/required and if they did rain or wind they'd have to communicate outside of HomeKit. Just won't happen with Eve. I love the Nanoleaf setup which I believe can be used with third-party weather apps such as Carrot and possibly WU. I have one of those and the basics go through HomeKit. Just quite a bit more and has no display.

I buy this partially for the weather, partially for the ability to see the screen outside at the same time.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Agree with the first two comments, (but still) for me the reason to buy the Eve Weather would be the possibility to automate tasks in HomeKit based on the outside temperature. Not much options with other brands/devices?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    AppleInsider said:
    Cons
    • Limited by HomeKit
    - Not sure what “limited BY HomeKit” means here, but for me, limited to HomeKit is not a Con. If a device is exclusively HomeKit, it brings me peace of mind, a big PRO!

- Exposure to sun, or any radiant heat for that matter, affects ALL thermometers (with arguably the exception of infra-red thermometers). 
    So it shouldn’t be a Con, mentioned as a side note maybe, no more.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    evolutevolut Posts: 29member
    Nice device ! 
    I perfectly understand that it can’t measure rain fall and wind speed.  
    But I have issue with the name “weather station”. If those two are missing, it’s not a weather station. 

I like it and would buy it though, it’s just the name , I find it deceptive

Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    evolut said:
    AppleInsider said:
    Cons
    • Limited by HomeKit
    - Not sure what “limited BY HomeKit” means here, but for me, limited to HomeKit is not a Con. If a device is exclusively HomeKit, it brings me peace of mind, a big PRO!

- Exposure to sun, or any radiant heat for that matter, affects ALL thermometers (with arguably the exception of infra-red thermometers). 
    Yes, I smiled at that con too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15

JanNL said:
    Agree with the first two comments, (but still) for me the reason to buy the Eve Weather would be the possibility to automate tasks in HomeKit based on the outside temperature. Not much options with other brands/devices?
    Yes it would be nice to get that functionality in a full weather station. Would there not be an app that could do the HomeKit functions by proxy? I have never looked, but I would think HomeKit functions could be triggered by a service that was linked to a station on weather underground, for example. I must look into it one day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    What’s with the 70’s throwback “liquid crystal” screen and numerals? Looks ancient. 
  • Reply 9 of 15
    evolut said:
    AppleInsider said:
    Cons
    • Limited by HomeKit

Perhaps not clear enough, but I thought I spelled it out in the body of the review. Limited to just HomeKit as opposed to Alexa or Google isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying its only limitations are those imposed by HomeKit. HomeKit doesn't have support for rain or wind. Eve would surely build support for these in a HomeKit weather station if HomeKit supported those metrics. 

Hope that clears it up. I totally agree that support for HomeKit and ONLY HomeKit is a huge plus! HomeKit just needs to do more sometimes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    What’s with the 70’s throwback “liquid crystal” screen and numerals? Looks ancient. 
    I think that is part due to sun exposure. Other types of displays may have lifespan issues outside in high and low temps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Power. Segment LCDs without a backlight are extremely efficient on electrical use. When powered by a CR2450 battery there's no room for a power-hungry OLED or even a moderate DPI dot matrix LCD with a hungry display driver.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Eve COULD choose to implement Rain and Wind.
    Even though HomeKit does not currently define standard Characteristics for rain and wind, it allows vendors to define Custom Characteristics merely by choosing a GUID.
    These custom characteristics will not display inside Apple’s “Home” app, but Eve has their own Viewer App (that already displays more Eve Weather info than Apple’s app does), so they could show rain and wind info in there.
    ”Dumping” on Apple by saying “HomeKit is too limited and doesn’t allow it” is disingenuous in this case.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    entropys said:

I totally agree that rain and wind are crucial, but unfortunately, HomeKit doesn't include these. Eve does *everything* with HomeKit. They don't want the Eve app to be necessary/required and if they did rain or wind they'd have to communicate outside of HomeKit. Just won't happen with Eve. I love the Nanoleaf setup which I believe can be used with third-party weather apps such as Carrot and possibly WU. I have one of those and the basics go through HomeKit. Just quite a bit more and has no display.

I buy this partially for the weather, partially for the ability to see the screen outside at the same time.
    $75 is still steep just for this.

And does it require a 3rd party account or outside access to use with the Eve app?  If so, that's a non-starter for me.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member

entropys said:

JanNL said:
    Yes it would be nice to get that functionality in a full weather station. Would there not be an app that could do the HomeKit functions by proxy? I have never looked, but I would think HomeKit functions could be triggered by a service that was linked to a station on weather underground, for example. I must look into it one day.
    There absolutely is.  I use Indigo with zWave for most of my home automation.  I have several HomePods.  I use the open source HomeBridge software to make all my Indigo/zWave devices, sensors, etc. look like HomeKit devices.  We use the HomePods all the time to control things via HomeKit, that are really managed by Indigo & are zWave devices.  The opposite is also possible - events in Indigo are exposed to HomeKit, and can trigger HomeKit events.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I’m kind of new to HomeKit so im kind of confused about the purpose of this device….i can already ask Siri what’s the temperature outside,with this is it more accurate or will Siri just tell me the same thing?