ProtonVPN devs allege Apple is blocking app updates amid Myanmar unrest

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    Just change a couple of words in the description. That’s trivial. Stop whining and just do it.
    I have to agree with you. I understand the app maker wants to extol their own personal virtues as "challengers of governments" and "deliverers of freedom" but now is not the time and Apple's App Store is not forum to play these kinds of games. This app is a tool that people need, and need now. Now is the time for pragmatism and stopping the pain. They can get back to their grandstanding and self aggrandizing signaling after the crisis is over.  
    "Her skirt was too short. She had it coming."
    Do you have any idea how insulting that is to most anyone who has suffered from sexual abuse or assault? Invoking that is about as screwed up as it gets.Way, way out of line.
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    Just change a couple of words in the description. That’s trivial. Stop whining and just do it.
    I have to agree with you. I understand the app maker wants to extol their own personal virtues as "challengers of governments" and "deliverers of freedom" but now is not the time and Apple's App Store is not forum to play these kinds of games. This app is a tool that people need, and need now. Now is the time for pragmatism and stopping the pain. They can get back to their grandstanding and self aggrandizing signaling after the crisis is over.  
    "Her skirt was too short. She had it coming."
    You have to be a pretty sick fuck to even THINK of using that analogy, get lost creep!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    Sorry. 

The agree with Apple protecting its ecosystem from extortionists like epic - and even proton in prior cases. 

But this one is flat out wrong. 

Some countries truly have oppressive and evil leadership. Apple is about human rights...right? 

What’s happening here is human rights are being violated severely and Apple is like “hey that regime is a business partner and in that country human rights abuse is legal. So ... sorry human rights activists, you can’t help anyone. We won’t let you “

that’s pretty obviously wrong. 

Fix it Tim. 

If a program works around something you don’t announce it to the world stupid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    tommikele said:

dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    I don't understand your sentiment here.  The underlying premise, ensuring the tool is available to the people, is sound.  The rhetoric though... not so much.  Why wouldn't Apple's App Store be the place to advocate for social issues?  Apple uses it to highlight social issues and often shines the spotlight on devs/apps that do as well.  What would be considered more grandstanding and sef-aggrandizing? 
    1.  Bringing attention to your stance on social issues during a period of social unrest; potentially risking revenue. 
    2.  Bringing attention to your stance on social issues when nothing is going on and there's no perceived risk to business and profit.  ←It's this one.  It's more grandstand-y.
         The cynic in me would say "why not both", but the human in me says it's 2.  

Again, the right idea is to remove the offending language and get back to the business of helping the people.  There we agree 100%.  Your delivery though, like DAalseth's, is a bit tone deaf.  It's as if you both are assuming Proton's motives are completely self serving.

And you are assuming they are not.
    Absent of any evidence, yeah I am assuming they're not.  Had their app been approved as they planned, the notations most likely would have gone unnoticed... as unnoticed as they had been for months prior to the UN recommendation.  It's not as if they had changed the app description to coincide with the UN announcement.  If they had done that, the self serving arguments might have held water.  

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 26
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    I don't understand your sentiment here.  The underlying premise, ensuring the tool is available to the people, is sound.  The rhetoric though... not so much.  Why wouldn't Apple's App Store be the place to advocate for social issues?  Apple uses it to highlight social issues and often shines the spotlight on devs/apps that do as well.  What would be considered more grandstanding and sef-aggrandizing? 
    1.  Bringing attention to your stance on social issues during a period of social unrest; potentially risking revenue. 
    2.  Bringing attention to your stance on social issues when nothing is going on and there's no perceived risk to business and profit.  ←It's this one.  It's more grandstand-y.
         The cynic in me would say "why not both", but the human in me says it's 2.  

Again, the right idea is to remove the offending language and get back to the business of helping the people.  There we agree 100%.  Your delivery though, like DAalseth's, is a bit tone deaf.  It's as if you both are assuming Proton's motives are completely self serving.

They are.  Go read their CEOs blog.  He has a hard on for Apple.  Some posts almost sound like a crazy person who thinks they were personally wronged.
    I did read the blog post linked in this article.  Is the guy a bit preachy?  Sure.  Nothing in that blog post supports the idea that Proton's motive with their app description was self serving.  In fact, if everything he claims is true, it supports the opposite.  He says they used that app description for months with no issue. If that's the case, no one eve paid attention to it, including Apple, until the UN recommendation.  

Yen as a person could be a complete douchenozzle.  DKDC.  Proton's motives in this particular case don't seem self serving imo.  Otherwise they would have highlighted and promoted their app description when they originally created it.