Goldman Sachs cleared of Apple Card discrimination claims

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2021
Goldman Sachs did not break any fair lending laws, an investigation into discriminatory allegations against the Apple Card underwriter reveals, but a regulator adds those same rules need to be strengthened and modernized.

In 2019, Goldman Sachs was accused of discriminatory behavior, where some Apple Card customers claimed they received longer lines of credit while others did not. The allegations claimed some of the discrepancies were gender-based, but Goldman Sachs insisted they were based on creditworthiness.

The New York State Department of Financial Services issued a report on an investigation into the matter regarding Apple Card. It summarized an investigation that reviewed several thousand pages of records, interviews with witnesses and applicants, and analysis of approximately 400,000 New York State Apple Card applications, and did not find any evidence of unlawful discrimination under fair lending law.

While customers complained spouses should have received comparable Apple Card offers due to sharing bank accounts and assets, underwriters aren't required to do so, and can consider other factors.

On the subject of gender, the Department's data analysis found that applications from men and women with similar characteristics generally had similar outcomes. Of those who complained about the outcomes, the decisions were found to be explainable, lawful, and consistent with the bank's credit policy.

Even so, the Department found that "deficiencies in customer service and a perceived lack of transparency undermined consumer trust in fair credit decisions."

Goldman Sachs and Apple are noted in the report to have taken steps to improve transparency, as well as implementing a program to assist denied applicants to improve their credit score.

At the same time, Superintendent of Financial Services Linda A. Lacewell points out "While we found no fair lending violations, our inquiry stands as a reminder of disparities in access to credit that continue nearly 50 years after the passage of the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA).

The current laws and regulations barring discrimination in lending "are in need of strengthening and modernization to improve access to credit," said Lacewell. "Consumer frustration with the Apple Card policy of not permitting an account holder to add an authorized user drew attention to the following: a person who relies on a spouse's access to credit, and only accesses those accounts as an authorized user, may incorrectly believe they have the same credit profile as the spouse."

Apple is believed to be in the process of introducing joint Apple Card account functionality, which would allow multiple users of an Apple Card account.

The Superintendent continued "This is one part of a broader discussion we must have about equal credit access."

The allegations were initially raised publicly by David Hansson, the creator of Ruby on Rails, who posted to Twitter that Apple Card was a "sexist program." After insisting he had filed joint tax returns, lived in a "community property state," and had been "married for a long time," Hansson asserted "Apple's black box algorithm thinks I deserve 20x the credit limit" of his wife.

Hansson is a co-founder and CTO of Basecamp and a developer of Hey, an email app that had its updates blocked by the App Store review process in 2020. Another Twitter complaint by Hansson along with other responses prompted Apple to re-examine the situation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    While customers complained spouses should have received comparable Apple Card offers due to sharing bank accounts and assets, underwriters aren't required to do so, and can consider other factors.
    Should companies be forced to treat a married couple as two individuals by dividing their combined credit limit exactly in half, or should there be a single credit limit for one person that is larger than the other? I still don't know, and I like to think I have an answer for everything. It would be an awful burden on couples if they couldn't combine their credit limits into a single one.

The conclusion that Goldman Sachs didn't break any law is one thing, but the other thing is what should the law be to address this? What is fair? What is woke? I think in the end the simplest solution is to leave the decision to the banks, and people can choose whichever bank gives them what they need. If people want a bank that divides credit limits in half, then they can choose such a bank.

But one thing's for sure: if a married couple has a combined credit limit of $X, they shouldn't both be allowed to run their credit up to $X. It's their combined limit that's $X, so that is either divided by 2 for each of them, or one person gets $X-n and the other gets $n.
    sbdudemuthuk_vanalingamentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 257member
    Should companies be forced to treat a married couple as two individuals by dividing their combined credit limit exactly in half, or should there be a single credit limit for one person that is larger than the other? I still don't know, and I like to think I have an answer for everything. It would be an awful burden on couples if they couldn't combine their credit limits into a single one.

The conclusion that Goldman Sachs didn't break any law is one thing, but the other thing is what should the law be to address this? What is fair? What is woke? I think in the end the simplest solution is to leave the decision to the banks, and people can choose whichever bank gives them what they need. If people want a bank that divides credit limits in half, then they can choose such a bank.

But one thing's for sure: if a married couple has a combined credit limit of $X, they shouldn't both be allowed to run their credit up to $X. It's their combined limit that's $X, so that is either divided by 2 for each of them, or one person gets $X-n and the other gets $n.
    Agreed. No one is forced to seek or obtain credit, and creditworthiness is at the discretion of the bank that is lending you the money. The entitled position of demanding credit regardless of creditworthiness is what got us into the sub-prime mortgage lending crisis. No one deserves to be lent money unless you can prove you are able to pay it back. That said, you should not be denied the ability to obtain credit based on race or gender; but if you've got a 620 at all the credit bureaus no matter what race or gender you are, expect to receiver a lower limit or no limit at all.
    muthuk_vanalingamstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member

In general, couples can't combine their credit limits (more generally, the limit of multiple separate credit accounts can't be combined). If you are making a purchase large enough that it can't be covered by a single card's limit, and the seller won't split across multiple cards, you're out of luck.

Ultimately, this is an issue of liability. If one person in a couple does all the earning, the bank gives each person a $20k limit, and the couple splits, what then? Couples break up all the time. The banks have statistical data (effectively actuarial tables) on the risk of breakup and how that affects the risk of default on the line of credit. If the couple splits and the person liable for $20k of debt no longer has income, they default, and bankruptcy court says that money is just gone (a simplification, but not too far from what happens).

I can see two solutions to this. Either keep finances separate and split paychecks into multiple bank accounts, or form an LLC (which is legally a single entity) to control the shared accounts and get shared credit under that. The LLC path is obviously gross for a lot of reasons, not least of which is business banks generally don't care about credit scores, they care about cash flow. Until you can demonstrate a lot of cash flow, they aren't going to lend to an LLC.
    applguy
  • Reply 4 of 11
    boboqboboq Posts: 15member
    Another crisis involving Apple turns out to be nothing more than clickbait. I'm so shocked. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    boboq said:
    Another crisis involving Apple turns out to be nothing more than clickbait. I'm so shocked. 
    Yeah. David Hansson is a tool. He likes to generate controversy and usually to his benefit. 
    EsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    zimmie said:

In general, couples can't combine their credit limits (more generally, the limit of multiple separate credit accounts can't be combined). If you are making a purchase large enough that it can't be covered by a single card's limit, and the seller won't split across multiple cards, you're out of luck.

Ultimately, this is an issue of liability. If one person in a couple does all the earning, the bank gives each person a $20k limit, and the couple splits, what then? Couples break up all the time. The banks have statistical data (effectively actuarial tables) on the risk of breakup and how that affects the risk of default on the line of credit. If the couple splits and the person liable for $20k of debt no longer has income, they default, and bankruptcy court says that money is just gone (a simplification, but not too far from what happens).

I can see two solutions to this. Either keep finances separate and split paychecks into multiple bank accounts, or form an LLC (which is legally a single entity) to control the shared accounts and get shared credit under that. The LLC path is obviously gross for a lot of reasons, not least of which is business banks generally don't care about credit scores, they care about cash flow. Until you can demonstrate a lot of cash flow, they aren't going to lend to an LLC.
    I guess you didn't read the original report last year where a married couple's combined credit limit was assigned to one spouse and the other spouse complained that her credit limit was lower than her husband's. She was expecting to be treated the same way as her husband. They did not split their accounts. The bank did combine their credit limits and assign most of it to one of them. Are you saying banks should stop doing this? I'm unclear whether you think the banks should be prohibited from combining credit limits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I can’t believe this was an investigation.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    entropys said:
    I can’t believe this was an investigation.
    Why not?  The outcome is better transparency and should lead to regulations, the exact sort of thing you'd expect an investigation into business practices to lead to, and positive for everyone.  What's the problem?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    A reminder that being well known or famous doesn’t make a person’s ideas correct, or give them any special legitimacy outside their field. 

David Hansson could have made enquires with the bank, an independent credit bureau or even a totally different provider and come up with the correct answer to the disparity in credit limits. Instead he ran to the public with false accusations and simultaneously outted his wife’s lack of credit worthiness. Stellar move bozo.

It’s not surprising to see that his name is attached to other shaky apple slander campaigns. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 11
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    zimmie said:

I guess you didn't read the original report last year where a married couple's combined credit limit was assigned to one spouse and the other spouse complained that her credit limit was lower than her husband's. She was expecting to be treated the same way as her husband. They did not split their accounts. The bank did combine their credit limits and assign most of it to one of them. Are you saying banks should stop doing this? I'm unclear whether you think the banks should be prohibited from combining credit limits.
    Citation? That's not a thing banks do. Each card's credit limit is decided separately and for only one person.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zimmie said:
    zimmie said:

Citation? That's not a thing banks do. Each card's credit limit is decided separately and for only one person.
    Sure, I can cite lots of proof. Including the US CARD acts of 2009 and 2013 which say that anyone who submits a credit card application can use their spouse's income as their own, even if the application says "your" income. The only conditions are that they must be age 21, and have reasonable access to their spouse's money.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/newsroom/the-cfpb-amends-card-act-rule-to-make-it-easier-for-stay-at-home-spouses-and-partners-to-get-credit-cards/ <--

The fact that you don't realize this shows you are missing the point. The point is that in a marriage the credit card issuer can issue a credit limit that is combined for the two members of the marriage and assign it all to a single person. The second person won't be eligible for any more credit since it was all assigned to the first one. This is perfectly legal. I don't know how much clearer I can make it. You need to ask yourself how credit limits can be divided between two people in a marriage. Once you think about this, you will understand the problem.