iOS 14.5 beta code reveals 'A14X' chip rumored to power iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad
Code discovered in Apple's latest iOS 14.5 beta references an as-yet-unreleased "A14X" chip, silicon expected to power the company's upcoming iPad Pro refresh.

iPad Pro

The latest iOS beta release includes mention of a GPU called "13G," a designation not seen in past or current A-series chips, reports 9to5Mac. Based on Apple's silicon naming schemes, "13G" is thought to be a next-generation variant of the A14 system-on-chip design that has been tentatively dubbed "A14X" and is anticipated to power a revamped iPad Pro line.

Interestingly, the "A14X" design is based on Apple's T8103 SoC, the report claims. Better known as M1, T8103 was the first Apple Silicon chip to see release with the M1 MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and Mac mini last year.

The publication also claims Apple's internal codenames for the upcoming iPad Pro line are J517, J518, J522 and J523. How those numbers correlate with specific hardware specifications is unknown, though past iPad releases typically include Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular models.

Today's report lines up with previous rumors regarding Apple's next A-series silicon. Last week, Bloomberg reported that the expected "A14X" chip would be as fast or faster than the M1.

Apple is expected to launch a new iPad Pro line with updated internals in the coming weeks, potentially as soon as April. The larger 12.9-inch variant is also expected to be the first Apple device to benefit from Mini LED technology that delivers better local dimming, color reproduction and contrast ratios than conventional LCD screens. Thunderbolt connectivity is rumored for both models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Take my money? Yes, take my money! 11” is great but the 12.9” has been on my list for the next iPad Pro release. 
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I have the first gen 11 inch iPad Pro and I love it. This is lie longest I have ever kept and iPad because it is virtually perfect. I can’t wait to see what comes next. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    This iPad Pro 10.5 is my main Machine. The battery is down to about five and a half hours. It’s almost time.
    mcdavewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I've got a 10.5 iPP from 2017. It's been a workhorse, solid as a rock. I'm thinking though that sometime in the next year I could move it to a secondary role, and get a new front line machine. I'm so excited to see what Apple rolls out this year. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    I wish these things would run macOS.
    Then when docked in a MagicKeyboard, it would be like a MacBook Air; when removed, Catalyst would take over and the System would be fully in touch screen mode.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    I have the 10.5" Pro now.  I've been waiting for a real update to the 2018 iPad Pro for a while now.  The A12z update didn't cut it for me.  Apple has been leaving money on the table for quite a while now by not providing a real update to the 2018 model. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra