Apple will hold WWDC 2021 online June 7 through June 11

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Beats said:
    Finally!! FaceID on Macs!!

I miss in-person WWDC, but this is how it needs to be moving forward. You can’t bring 22 million people to a non-virtual event.
    Ummm... Apple has been bringing millions of people to their “non-virtual” events for years. I’m sure Apple will resume in-person soon and the livestream won’t cut off because of it.
    WWDC has been going since 1987 with the largest number of attendees being 6000. In total less than 200k people have attended WWDC. So Apple hasn’t been bringing millions of people. Also totally skeptical of that 22 million number. 

The key to understanding what we’re talking about was in my last sentence:
    ”the livestream won’t cut off because of it”.

We’re talking about watching online as that was his defense of the virtual events but people like me have been watching for years without having to book a plane to California.

If he meant literal in-person attendees than that number is far from 22 million, it’s literally ZERO. I don’t think anyone would wanna argue literal terms here unless that argument is that it “brings” less people. 
  • Reply 22 of 31
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    So we’re just ignoring the glasses???
    No, it’s the direct result of Computer Vision Syndrome or Digital Eye Strain as defined by the American Optometric Association (AOA). It’s caused by excessive use of lighted screens. Also, notice that none of these precision rendered images show the presence of nose nostrils. This is very troubling and is probably evidence that excessive use of computers, especially ones with screens that are run at intensity levels approximate to levels used in lighthouses, is slowly transforming the human population into a species of myopic mouth breathers. We should all be worried, whether WWDC is run virtually or in-person.
    Beatscrowley
  • Reply 23 of 31
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    "Developers found that WWDC 2020 was both a blessing and a curse. The lower cost to take part was beneficial, as well as a reduced level of stress, but the lack of sociability and reduced access compared to in-person versions was perceived as problematic."
    This claim makes it sound like it's 50/50 as to whether it's better or not.  Yes, for a relatively small number of developers, there is some social aspect that is missed.  However, for the vast majority of developers, the virtual event is far better.  Not just because of travel and cost savings, but also because of the quality of the videos and presentations.  It's clear that the virtual events are far better produced and this is what the majority of developers end up experiencing anyway.  

If they ever do go back to having live events, I hope it's more of a hybrid event that allows for the same level of production quality from the virtual events while also providing the benefits of in person social connectivity. 

• Reply 24 of 31
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    techconc said:
    "Developers found that WWDC 2020 was both a blessing and a curse. The lower cost to take part was beneficial, as well as a reduced level of stress, but the lack of sociability and reduced access compared to in-person versions was perceived as problematic."
    This claim makes it sound like it's 50/50 as to whether it's better or not.  Yes, for a relatively small number of developers, there is some social aspect that is missed.  However, for the vast majority of developers, the virtual event is far better.  Not just because of travel and cost savings, but also because of the quality of the videos and presentations.  It's clear that the virtual events are far better produced and this is what the majority of developers end up experiencing anyway.  

If they ever do go back to having live events, I hope it's more of a hybrid event that allows for the same level of production quality from the virtual events while also providing the benefits of in person social connectivity. 
    That's my hope, too.
    techconc
  • Reply 25 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    asdasd said:
    The different faces means I think we are all getting our personalised emoji! Awesome. 
    LOL are they re-releasing iOS 12? 

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208986
    Ni, you idiot an emoji that is automatically generated and can represented you in FaceTime.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Beats said:
    jcs2305 said:
    Beats said:
    Finally!! FaceID on Macs!!

I miss in-person WWDC, but this is how it needs to be moving forward. You can’t bring 22 million people to a non-virtual event.
    Ummm... Apple has been bringing millions of people to their “non-virtual” events for years. I’m sure Apple will resume in-person soon and the livestream won’t cut off because of it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Worldwide_Developers_Conference

According to this 6000 people attended WWDC in 2018. Where are you seeing millions of people in past years ?  I also thought it was invite only ?  I don’t honestly know the process of attending.

I just never thought of it as an event that brought millions of people out in past years when they were non virtual? Maybe I am mistaken ? 

Yes you’re mistaken. I thought it was obvious what the original poster meant by “bring”. He meant people watching the event. He couldn’t have meant it literally since that would completely destroy his argument. Literally, Apple brought ZERO people to the virtual event since no one was allowed to show up.

Now for what he obviously(to me, at least) meant: people watching the show. He mentions you can’t “bring” 22 million people to a “non-virtual” event which is complete bogus. Millions have been “brought” to the event over the years, Apple is not gonna cut off livestreams if they allow people to attend in-person. Millions will still be able to watch the show virtually like they did in 2020.

I don’t mean to sound like a di** but if you take that word literally (“bring”) then he’s even more wrong as that number drops from 6,000 to ZERO but to me it was obvious he meant “to watch” which again, is bogus. Apple has always allowed people to watch online, this virtual event didn’t grant anyone special keys and I would have seen it whether it was “non-virtual” or not.
    If Apple ever go live again they will probably continue with the format, i..e mostly pre-recorded video. Why? That works very well, and massively reduces the things that can go wrong. It reduces the strain on people who have to present as well, they can do it in the office or at home. I think there will be some framing at the start with a live presenter, and at the end. The rest could be video. 
  • Reply 27 of 31
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Is there a consensus forming on the likelihood of new hardware now prior to WWDC this year? I like many no doubt am ready to upgrade to new iMacs and other hardware. (An Apple hearing aid would be a nice surprise - I'm getting on, which at least is better than the alternative.)
    mpw_amherstBeats
  • Reply 28 of 31
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    My sole interest in WWDC is hearing Serenity Caldwell's summary of it with her memoji calling it "dub dub."

This from Dalrymple on the glasses is interesting: 

https://www.loopinsight.com/2021/03/31/gruber-wwdc-and-apple-glass/

• Reply 29 of 31
    iqatedo said:
    Is there a consensus forming on the likelihood of new hardware now prior to WWDC this year? I like many no doubt am ready to upgrade to new iMacs and other hardware. (An Apple hearing aid would be a nice surprise - I'm getting on, which at least is better than the alternative.)

I believe Apple released a hearing aid in 2017 with a partner manufacturer. Intentionally under the radar.

Edit: I’m looking for a specific model or brand but it looks like Apple may have partnered on some sort of “Made for Apple”/“Made for iPhone” spec for 3rd party manufacturers.

I don’t see why this wouldn’t be an ultimate goal for AirPods accessibility. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 30 of 31
    techconc said:

I thought Apple always had the option to watch demos online? I usually just watch the keynote and ignore the rest as I’m not a developer.

I do hope they go back to live. Serious developers appreciate the in-person hardware and software demos with Apple techs and engineers. Also networking in-person is way better no matter what Facebook or Tinder has taught people. I also miss the crowd and excitement of live. Pre-recorded events (Nintendo has been doing these for years) are too bland and can be very quiet and boring. Imagine how boring the Steve Jobs events would have been if they were prerecorded and uploaded?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    Beats said:
    I thought Apple always had the option to watch demos online? I usually just watch the keynote and ignore the rest as I’m not a developer.

I do hope they go back to live. Serious developers appreciate the in-person hardware and software demos with Apple techs and engineers. Also networking in-person is way better no matter what Facebook or Tinder has taught people. I also miss the crowd and excitement of live. Pre-recorded events (Nintendo has been doing these for years) are too bland and can be very quiet and boring. Imagine how boring the Steve Jobs events would have been if they were prerecorded and uploaded?
    Yeah, you could always watch the recorded sessions, but the production quality of the pre-recorded sessions is FAR better than there recordings from the live sessions.  For the vast majority of developers, the pre-recorded sessions are much better.  I'm suggesting they keep that format, but couple that with live workshops with engineers as they previously did for the live shows. 

As for the Keynote, who cares?  The content is what's most important.  Having the camera cut to a bunch of Apple employees clapping doesn't add value for me.