Apple TV with camera and built-in HomePod speaker reportedly in the works

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Since it is going to up the price a bit, may as well go all out and put a top end system chip in it to make it a gaming machine. That would be cool but it is a chicken and egg situation. People will diss it as a gaming failure because there aren't a boatload of games available on release and game makers will put off development of games for it because there isn't a large installed base. Hmmmm..... A medium priced sounder with camera, small or no screen (use the TV) and an output for wired and Airplay subwoofer. Apple has the sound engineers on staff and a good starting point with the original HomePod (which I am admitted fanboy who uses them all the time when using my AppleTV). All that said, I'm maxed out for sound systems and hardly ever upgrade as what I have suits my wants quite well.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    AI_lias said:
    That’s a whole lotta R&D billions for something that’s already been on the market from Amazon and others. The devil will be in the details. Where will the camera be placed? Where could you place this things around your TV for sound. And for camera, etc. since there’s no new technology at play here, Apple’s just late to the game. 
    Well, it it was a soundbar, it would be quite easy to have the camera centred below the TV, and the speakers appropriately placed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    PezaPeza Posts: 198member
    So either Apple is bow just totally ripping off anything Amazon brings out, or this reported thinks Apple will just copy any Amazon device. I've read they think they'll make a speaker with a screen, a speaker with a robotic arm that follows you around and a Apple TV with a speaker built in. All things Amazon already has on the market.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    That’s a whole lotta R&D billions for something that’s already been on the market from Amazon and others. The devil will be in the details. Where will the camera be placed? Where could you place this things around your TV for sound. And for camera, etc. since there’s no new technology at play here, Apple’s just late to the game. 
    This product is already a failure.  The failed with appleTV and failed with the HomePod.   Putting them together isn’t going to work.
    First of all, you dudes are responding to a 2-minute photoshop, lol. Second, they didn’t fail with ATV or HP. You may be worshipping at the church of market share again, but that isn’t Apple’s game. ATV is head & shoulders better than the other streamers I’ve used - especially the crap bundled into smart TVs, which are simply painful to use. ATV is undeniably much better. And it’s a vehicle for iTunes, Music, and other subscriptions (we currently have have 2 pay channels, plus ATV+ which we’ll do the bundle for). Not a weekend goes by that we aren’t renting stuff in addition to our subscriptions. Dual HPs is awesome, I’m sad to see it go. But since they just launched the HP mini, and we have two of those as well, I’m sure they’re happy with where it’s going, even if it’s more causal listening than what I want them for. 
    Apple did fail with the HomePod else they wouldn't have discontinued it.  There's no denying that.  That said, I'm glad they're pursuing a different strategy.  I enjoyed reading this article on the potential use cases of a revamped ATV + HomePod combo w / FaceTime camera.

Apple TV's Missing Feature (techfirth.com)
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    flydog said:
    mobird said:
    The beauty of the Homepod was the versatility of its placement within the home, with this proposed device you are going to be tethered to the TV therefore limiting placement.
    Perhaps you haven't heard of some incredible new technologies in the field of wireless, such as wi-fi and bluetooth, which allow devices to communicate with each other without physical connections. They've only been around for 20 years so it's understandable that you may have missed the news. 
    What wi-fi or bluetooth technology do you know of that can send video to your TV?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:
    This product is already a failure.  The failed with appleTV and failed with the HomePod.   Putting them together isn’t going to work.
    First of all, you dudes are responding to a 2-minute photoshop, lol. Second, they didn’t fail with ATV or HP. You may be worshipping at the church of market share again, but that isn’t Apple’s game. ATV is head & shoulders better than the other streamers I’ve used - especially the crap bundled into smart TVs, which are simply painful to use. ATV is undeniably much better. And it’s a vehicle for iTunes, Music, and other subscriptions (we currently have have 2 pay channels, plus ATV+ which we’ll do the bundle for). Not a weekend goes by that we aren’t renting stuff in addition to our subscriptions. Dual HPs is awesome, I’m sad to see it go. But since they just launched the HP mini, and we have two of those as well, I’m sure they’re happy with where it’s going, even if it’s more causal listening than what I want them for. 
    Apple did fail with the HomePod else they wouldn't have discontinued it.  There's no denying that.  That said, I'm glad they're pursuing a different strategy.  I enjoyed reading this article on the potential use cases of a revamped ATV + HomePod combo w / FaceTime camera.

Saying the HomePod being discontinued means it’s a failure is like saying iPhone is a failure because the original has been discontinued.

Anyways that’s a nice article that builds on what I’ve been asking for since 2017.

Bundle the DAMN Apple TV with a TrueDepth FaceID camera!!

Possibilities:
    AR- Imagine seeing the outfit your buying on your body on the big screen. How about that new Apple Watch on your wrist!?

Gaming- Self explanatory.

Animoji Karaoke! Could be a game and a video editor and the latest social media craze. Could also add bodies to the Animoji. 

Fitness- Yoga. Stretch coaching(most people do it wrong). Body figure management. Dance games. Apple Fitness+  Etc.

FaceTime- get the whole family in the picture!

Apps- Oh my the creative apps that this will spawn!
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    No Phillips head screwdriver, no buy.

I would hope that mockup is nothing like the the real design, whatever that would include.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 53
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Beats said:
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:

Saying the HomePod being discontinued means it’s a failure is like saying iPhone is a failure because the original has been discontinued.

Anyways that’s a nice article that builds on what I’ve been asking for since 2017.

Bundle the DAMN Apple TV with a TrueDepth FaceID camera!!

Possibilities:
    AR- Imagine seeing the outfit your buying on your body on the big screen. How about that new Apple Watch on your wrist!?

Gaming- Self explanatory.

Animoji Karaoke! Could be a game and a video editor and the latest social media craze. Could also add bodies to the Animoji. 

Fitness- Yoga. Stretch coaching(most people do it wrong). Body figure management. Dance games. Apple Fitness+  Etc.

FaceTime- get the whole family in the picture!

Apps- Oh my the creative apps that this will spawn!
    Yes, you have been calling for this exact product for a few years. So have I, and maybe 2-3 other people on this forum. What makes me laugh is all the other people that have been dismissing this idea for several years, are suddenly on the bandwagon after reading an article or two about it. Those people who said Apple would never combine a bunch of devices into one, as if the iPhone didn’t do exactly that. The only people that are worse are the ones that think a product like this will fail just because they won’t buy it, or because the devices it will replace didn’t sell in iPhone numbers. 

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 53
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Peza said:
    So either Apple is bow just totally ripping off anything Amazon brings out, or this reported thinks Apple will just copy any Amazon device. I've read they think they'll make a speaker with a screen, a speaker with a robotic arm that follows you around and a Apple TV with a speaker built in. All things Amazon already has on the market.
    Good point. Apple should never make another product ever again unless they are the ones to invent it first. By your logic, we wouldn’t live in a world with iPhones, AirPods, Apple Watches, iPads…I could go on, but I’m actually ashamed to have responded to this idiotic post. 
    edited April 2021
  • Reply 50 of 53
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    mobird said:
    The beauty of the Homepod was the versatility of its placement within the home, with this proposed device you are going to be tethered to the TV therefore limiting placement.
    Well it still needed to be plugged in. What if they added a sub to it and then used the HomePod Mini for satellite speakers. 
  • Reply 51 of 53
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 145member
    mobird said:
    That's not a problem! Don't expect them to stop selling homepod even after the introduction of this device. It could even be complimentary if apple allows pairing it with regular homepod, which I fully expect them to.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    genovelle said:
    mobird said:
    Well it still needed to be plugged in. What if they added a sub to it and then used the HomePod Mini for satellite speakers. 

Would be great for office set ups. Use HomePod Mini's as a second mic and speaker combo in larger groups.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    k2kw said:
    AI_lias said:

Yup, folk need to remember that this is not a product design; it's a brainstorming session during happy hour.

But I would disagree with you: the big HomePod was a failure, and so was the Wifi music box before it, along with the hockey puck mouse and the G4 Cube. Apple's product catalogue and design studios are littered with products that failed on the drawing board, failed just before launch, or failed after release. And I have no problem with that.

If the company stops 'failing' before release then they're in trouble, because that means they've stopped innovating. If they stop 'failing' after launch then they're in trouble, because that means that they've lost the ability to change course and correct mistakes.

Apple thought that folk wanted a top-flight speaker with a mediocre AI. What they wanted was a cheap speaker with a mediocre AI (having said that, I notice that HomePod Siri can now send results to your phone if you need a screen to see the results) which is why they're focussing on the HomePod Mini.

Now let's contrast this with the reason why Microsoft failed in the mobile space: they flat refused to change course, believing that simply because they were Microsoft, folk would eventually come around to buying the product Microsoft wanted to build, rather than ignoring it and going with a product they wanted to use.

Apple looked at the sales of the Mini compared to the bigPod, and realised that the big one needed canning or a rethink.

If they'd have failed with the AppleTV then they would've announced it already.