Apple debuts colorful 24-inch iMac with M1, upgraded camera and audio

17810121315

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 283
    guscat said:
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    Uh, because a standard headphone jack is actually thicker than the M1 iMac.
    That's actually a good point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 182 of 283
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,509member
    eightzero said:
    I've had just about every model iMac since Steve introduced them (and several iterations of the mac before those.) I will be a launch day customer for this one for the first time ever, as I have an immediate need and this fills it perfectly. I might ultimately buy 2.

    The 2015 iMac my wife uses is a huge disappointment. It has never done anything well, and is very, very sluggish on even just booting. Hoping I can get some trade in value on launch day. Anyone do that with a mac? You get the credit, the return box comes, and you have some time to transfer to the new iMac, and wipe the old, and off it goes? If they don't get it in a period of time, the credit is rescinded to the purchase card?
    Is it the base 21.5" model? That was incredibly sluggish due to lack of RAM and a slow HDD. Only Apple is to blame for that. Unbelievably Apple was selling this until 2019 when they finally switched to a fusion drive. Get an external SSD with Thunderbolt and install macOS on it, and you'll find a world of difference. 
  • Reply 183 of 283
    I think the new iMacs are awesome!
    16 GB of RAM and 2 TB of SSD is excellent for most folks.
    I will wait for a 30 inch iMac with 32 GB of RAM and the 2TB SSD.  (need to run VMs)

    I am curious to see how the iMac is connected to the stand.  It appears that there are 2 magnetic pins that go from the stand into the 24" iMac.
    The iMac motherboard is amazingly small and yet has empty space for more surface mounted electronic devices.
    iqatedo9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 184 of 283
    Sad. 

    The new iMac looks like a fisher price toy. 

    Low class looking. 

    The non matching white bezel looks like an early 2000s gateway computer product. 

    The once sleek aluminum stand now has a heel? 

    Even the color of the stand is a different shade than the body. 

    And chin? Still? 

    Even iPad Pro does not have a chin - with an m1. 

    They are really only using this iMac to prop up the iPad Pro. 

    I seriously hope it ends here. 

    The only thing I can think of is that they downgraded the aesthetics of the iMac to rebrand. 

    This is the base stuff.  

    Big iMac will be iMac Pro with sleek stand, dark bezel, no chin, and matching, more professional color tones. 

    if not, then this is a very sad change in design direction. 

    Really missing Ive now. He’s never have allowed this. 
    elijahgTRAG
  • Reply 185 of 283
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,648member
    elijahg said:
    eightzero said:
    I've had just about every model iMac since Steve introduced them (and several iterations of the mac before those.) I will be a launch day customer for this one for the first time ever, as I have an immediate need and this fills it perfectly. I might ultimately buy 2.

    The 2015 iMac my wife uses is a huge disappointment. It has never done anything well, and is very, very sluggish on even just booting. Hoping I can get some trade in value on launch day. Anyone do that with a mac? You get the credit, the return box comes, and you have some time to transfer to the new iMac, and wipe the old, and off it goes? If they don't get it in a period of time, the credit is rescinded to the purchase card?
    Is it the base 21.5" model? That was incredibly sluggish due to lack of RAM and a slow HDD. Only Apple is to blame for that. Unbelievably Apple was selling this until 2019 when they finally switched to a fusion drive. Get an external SSD with Thunderbolt and install macOS on it, and you'll find a world of difference. 
    Or I can just trade it in, and cut my losses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 186 of 283
    This is clearly a consumer machine, but if this is the harbinger of things to come for the larger iMac, I am pretty annoyed. I don't want distracting colors, a silver bezel instead of a black one is horrible for trying to do design work. And as I produce professional audio, I can't use bluetooth to connect amp/speakers because bluetooth compresses and colors audio, so to stick the audio out on the side with a cord dangling. Awful. Looks like I will have to go the mac mini route unfortunately. I can't wait months to replace my aging 2013 iMac workhorse only to find out they repeat these awful decisions in the larger iMac. I historically go pretty easy on Apple's design decisions and am not prone to "fanboi" histrionics, but this does not bode well for the larger iMac, and Thor only knows when that will be released.  And Apple, what's your deal with not putting enough ports on anything?

    I have never met a professional audio producer who would use the headphone jack for audio output. There are bucketloads of USB-C and Thunderbolt audio interfaces available, and every studio I've ever seen, from pro to bedroom, uses a proper audio interface if they're serious about their work... The headphone jack is unbalanced and not line-level, which would make monitoring for mixing and mastering professional-grade audio a nightmare... 

    Also, regarding the supposed lack of ports, you can add a Caldigit Elements hub to just one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports and get 4 additional Thunderbolt 4 ports, plus 4 additional 10GB USB-A ports as well as a device that can support an 8k display or 2x4k 60hz displays... 
    edited April 21 Pezadewmestuartfbaconstangroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 187 of 283
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 275member
    eightzero said:
    elijahg said:
    eightzero said:
    I've had just about every model iMac since Steve introduced them (and several iterations of the mac before those.) I will be a launch day customer for this one for the first time ever, as I have an immediate need and this fills it perfectly. I might ultimately buy 2.

    The 2015 iMac my wife uses is a huge disappointment. It has never done anything well, and is very, very sluggish on even just booting. Hoping I can get some trade in value on launch day. Anyone do that with a mac? You get the credit, the return box comes, and you have some time to transfer to the new iMac, and wipe the old, and off it goes? If they don't get it in a period of time, the credit is rescinded to the purchase card?
    Is it the base 21.5" model? That was incredibly sluggish due to lack of RAM and a slow HDD. Only Apple is to blame for that. Unbelievably Apple was selling this until 2019 when they finally switched to a fusion drive. Get an external SSD with Thunderbolt and install macOS on it, and you'll find a world of difference. 
    Or I can just trade it in, and cut my losses.

    I had bought a MacBook Air in April last year and it was always hot really hated it and as soon as the M1 came out traded it for the M1 and have never been sorry for the loss from the April purchase. I assure you you will be much happier with the new iMac. I'm purchasing one for my daughter with 16 gig  and 1 TB ssd, i know she will love it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 188 of 283
    It's interesting to see how the price of these can be within the budget of schools in current day climate. With 1300 bucks starting price don't think many schools would be keen. Even with education discounts.

    Granted though within the slim form factor it is by far the most powerful and capable all in one computer, performance wise unless one starts to look at only 16gb RAM limitation.  The windows competition in this area is quite lagging. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 189 of 283
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,557member
    lkrupp said:

    JinTech said:
    And it seems only 8GB memory across the board with no upgrade to 16GB. WTF Apple?
    Get ready for this to be the new standard. The new iMac 24” is for the 90% of Mac users who use their computer for email, browsing, music, streaming, amateur photo and video editing. This machine is for the masses like the 21.5 iMac was. Later this year I expect to see a new iMac ‘Pro’ to replace the 27”. Hopefully it will have more storage and memory options.
    It’ll even have a bigger screen. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 190 of 283
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,557member
    crowley said:
    lkrupp said:
    mario said:
    Headphone jack is located on the side on the desktop computer???? Who wants speaker cable dangling from the side all the time going to external powered speakers, instead of neatly tucked behind the screen and out of sight?
    Only neanderthal luddites use headphone jacks.
    And yet Apple included the jack.  Seems they know something you don't, smart guy.
    3.5mm headphones are approximately 14mm long.  This new iMac is 11.5mm thick. Putting the headphone jack on the side was the only option. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 191 of 283
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,557member
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

    I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

    I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    The chin is a big part of the branding. It’s how the iMac stands out from other AIO PC’s. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 192 of 283
    I wonder with the white bezels whether they’ll transfer over to the MacBook Air refresh or relaunched MacBook? I remember in the days of iBook and G5 iMac that they had white bezels, and the first gen MacBook. Aluminium bezels on the original Air. If so I’d be disappointed. Getting the black bezel on the MacBook 12”seemed to make such a difference. But I could see them following a design language where all the consumer systems make use of white and colour. 
    edited April 21 watto_cobra
  • Reply 193 of 283
    PezaPeza Posts: 197member
    mwhite said:
    Peza said:
    Well, I can’t say it’s what I was expecting... it is kinda growing in me, but man from the front those colours are just odd.. shame it’s an M1 too and not something more powerful. Still an interesting design, nice Touch ID integration too. Probably better value then the new M1 iPad Pro. Wonder what the 32” iMac will be like?
    However it’s incredibly overpriced, and I can see a 16GB 1TB model being 2 grand. And I bet anything you cannot upgrade any of those components yourself.

    From what I can figure the 16GB 1TB model will cost close to $2500 because that's what I'm getting my daughter, but it's hard to tell for sure without it letting me put all the info in on Apple site.
    It if costs that much, it’ll show Apple is more greedy then those European football clubs that tried to break away for a new Super League over the last few days! Only unlike the football clubs, Apple won’t back down over its pricing. 
    It will also mean the 32” model will be very expensive..
    elijahg
  • Reply 194 of 283
    PezaPeza Posts: 197member
    zzrwood said:
    This is clearly a consumer machine, but if this is the harbinger of things to come for the larger iMac, I am pretty annoyed. I don't want distracting colors, a silver bezel instead of a black one is horrible for trying to do design work. And as I produce professional audio, I can't use bluetooth to connect amp/speakers because bluetooth compresses and colors audio, so to stick the audio out on the side with a cord dangling. Awful. Looks like I will have to go the mac mini route unfortunately. I can't wait months to replace my aging 2013 iMac workhorse only to find out they repeat these awful decisions in the larger iMac. I historically go pretty easy on Apple's design decisions and am not prone to "fanboi" histrionics, but this does not bode well for the larger iMac, and Thor only knows when that will be released.  And Apple, what's your deal with not putting enough ports on anything?

    I have never met a professional audio producer who would use the headphone jack for audio output. There are bucketloads of USB-C and Thunderbolt audio interfaces available, and every studio I've ever seen, from pro to bedroom, uses a proper audio interface if they're serious about their work... The headphone jack is unbalanced and not line-level, which would make monitoring for mixing and mastering professional-grade audio a nightmare... 

    Also, regarding the supposed lack of ports, you can add a Caldigit Elements hub to just one of the Thunderbolt 4 ports and get 4 additional Thunderbolt 4 ports, plus 4 additional 10GB USB-A ports as well as a device that can support an 8k display or 2x4k 60hz displays... 
    Yeah I don’t get the complaining over the ports, as you say get a hub, the markets flooded with all sorts of different hubs these days at all kinds of price points. Two thunderbolt 4 ports is more then enough if you add a hub to it.
    And if people still don’t like it we’ll wait for the new bigger iMac, or buy a Mac Pro if it’s for music or sound production, a business investment. Or wait for the new Apple Silicon Mac Pro.
  • Reply 195 of 283
    keithw said:
    To a lot of users, an M1 Mac Mini with a 5k display (or even the XDR like I have) will make a lot more sense than this iMac.
    To a lot of users, the new M1 iMac makes more sense than a Mac mini with a separate display. Great that Apple serves both kinds users, eh?
    PezaFidonet127dewmebaconstangwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 196 of 283
    PezaPeza Posts: 197member
    keithw said:
    To a lot of users, an M1 Mac Mini with a 5k display (or even the XDR like I have) will make a lot more sense than this iMac.
    To a lot of users, the new M1 iMac makes more sense than a Mac mini with a separate display. Great that Apple serves both kinds users, eh?
    Yes, like those of us who don’t have 6 or 7 grand to spend on a computer and monitor.... funny that eh lol. A 1600 pound or dollars VS 6 grand hmm.. wait for the new 32” iMac to come out and it’ll make an XDR and iMac a little more silly. Still at least you can ditch the Mac Mini for a new Apple Silicon Mac Pro, for a price.
    elijahg
  • Reply 197 of 283
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,341member
    eightzero said:
    elijahg said:
    eightzero said:
    I've had just about every model iMac since Steve introduced them (and several iterations of the mac before those.) I will be a launch day customer for this one for the first time ever, as I have an immediate need and this fills it perfectly. I might ultimately buy 2.

    The 2015 iMac my wife uses is a huge disappointment. It has never done anything well, and is very, very sluggish on even just booting. Hoping I can get some trade in value on launch day. Anyone do that with a mac? You get the credit, the return box comes, and you have some time to transfer to the new iMac, and wipe the old, and off it goes? If they don't get it in a period of time, the credit is rescinded to the purchase card?
    Is it the base 21.5" model? That was incredibly sluggish due to lack of RAM and a slow HDD. Only Apple is to blame for that. Unbelievably Apple was selling this until 2019 when they finally switched to a fusion drive. Get an external SSD with Thunderbolt and install macOS on it, and you'll find a world of difference. 
    Or I can just trade it in, and cut my losses.
    You could, absolutely. I do wonder though, should you wish to save quite a bit of money, if a simple SSD upgrade inside your existing iMac wouldn’t fix your problem.

    I put one into my own 2013 iMac and the difference is just unbelievable, seriously, it’s not the same machine with an SSD.

    If you don’t want to do it yourself, which I totally understand as it’s a bit scary the first time you do it, a local computer shop would do it for a small fee.

    For £100 (or $100, whatever) you’d get an SSD drive and a tech to fit it and feel no reason at all to upgrade. Really, it’s night and day different. 

    Kind of insulting really that Apple kept the laptop hard drives going for so long in their iMacs, deliberately hobbling them for no benefit to consider whatsoever.
    edited April 21 dewmeelijahgTRAG
  • Reply 198 of 283
    saarek said:
    eightzero said:
    elijahg said:
    eightzero said:
    I've had just about every model iMac since Steve introduced them (and several iterations of the mac before those.) I will be a launch day customer for this one for the first time ever, as I have an immediate need and this fills it perfectly. I might ultimately buy 2.

    The 2015 iMac my wife uses is a huge disappointment. It has never done anything well, and is very, very sluggish on even just booting. Hoping I can get some trade in value on launch day. Anyone do that with a mac? You get the credit, the return box comes, and you have some time to transfer to the new iMac, and wipe the old, and off it goes? If they don't get it in a period of time, the credit is rescinded to the purchase card?
    Is it the base 21.5" model? That was incredibly sluggish due to lack of RAM and a slow HDD. Only Apple is to blame for that. Unbelievably Apple was selling this until 2019 when they finally switched to a fusion drive. Get an external SSD with Thunderbolt and install macOS on it, and you'll find a world of difference. 
    Or I can just trade it in, and cut my losses.
    You could, absolutely. I do wonder though, should you wish to save quite a bit of money, if a simple SSD upgrade inside your existing iMac wouldn’t fix your problem.

    I put one into my own 2013 iMac and the difference is just unbelievable, seriously, it’s not the same machine with an SSD.

    If you don’t want to do it yourself, which I totally understand as it’s a bit scary the first time you do it, a local computer shop would do it for a small fee.

    For £100 (or $100, whatever) you’d get an SSD drive and a tech to fit it and feel no reason at all to upgrade. Really, it’s night and day different. 

    Kind of insulting really that Apple kept the laptop hard drives going for so long in their iMacs, deliberately hobbling them for no benefit to consider whatsoever.
    If I may, not everyone is up to replacing hard drives in iMacs as it isn’t easy. Big difference in a lot of things from their old iMac. New one will be quiet, more processing power, SSD, WiFi 6, higher resolution screen, better webcam, higher speeds on Thunderbolt and USB. Uses less energy I’m sure. Add in Touch ID on the keyboard.
    edited April 21 watto_cobra
  • Reply 199 of 283
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,429member
    elijahg said:

    elijahg said:
    MacPro said:
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

    I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

    I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    They manage to have no chin on the iPad Pro, and the iMac is basically an iPad Pro. There’s nothing really in the chin except speakers on the intel iMacs, and from the pictures it looks similar on this one. 
    They show you what’s inside of it. The logic board is in the chin only. There are two fans. Six larger speakers. I/O perpendicular to the back plane. Did you even watch the presentation? 
    Then make it thicker? The iPad Pro manages it at 6mm. They have a huge aluminium heatsink they can use too. I usually do but skimmed through this one, can't stand listening to Cook's drawl at the best of times, but the scripted enthusiasm is grating.
    Kind of like the scripted criticism is. I know Linus from Linus Tech agrees with with you so that's one good reason for the Chin ;) It is possible Apple wants the iMac to look like an iMac, not a Dell monitor.  Solve your chin dislike with a Mac mini and a Dell monitor.  I have that exact rig next to a 27" i9 iMac and they both look nice but only one looks like an iMac.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 200 of 283
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,429member
    elijahg said:

    elijahg said:
    MacPro said:
    jcc said:
    sflocal said:
    I fail to understand the hate people have towards the iMac's "chin".  It really comes across as petty and that chin I think is what differentiates the iMac instead of making it look like some large, generic monitor.  Get over it people. 

    I actually glad there's some kind of chin there, especially with the new color options, it allows some of that color to come to the front of the unit as well.  Good job Apple.

    I do with the specs for the iMac were more beefy.  I used an M1-based MacBook and while I was absolutely floored by the performance, I expected Apple would give the desktop Macs with ASi chips made for desktop-class machines.  I just hope that whatever Apple has in store for the larger 27"+ iMac, it better include more RAM, and much higher spec ASi chips.
    A chin serves no purpose. It should be removed.
    It's where the computer actually resides.  
    They manage to have no chin on the iPad Pro, and the iMac is basically an iPad Pro. There’s nothing really in the chin except speakers on the intel iMacs, and from the pictures it looks similar on this one. 
    They show you what’s inside of it. The logic board is in the chin only. There are two fans. Six larger speakers. I/O perpendicular to the back plane. Did you even watch the presentation? 
    Then make it thicker? The iPad Pro manages it at 6mm. They have a huge aluminium heatsink they can use too. I usually do but skimmed through this one, can't stand listening to Cook's drawl at the best of times, but the scripted enthusiasm is grating.
    Kind of like the scripted criticism is. I know Linus from Linus Tech agrees with you so that's one good reason for the chin ;) It is possible Apple wants the iMac to look like an iMac, not a Dell monitor.  Solve your chin dislike with a Mac mini and a Dell monitor.  I have that exact rig next to a 27" i9 iMac and they both look nice but only one looks like an iMac.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.