PPC 970 In Next Revision of PM Now Confirmed By MacWhispers

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Powermac sales are already on life support.

If Apple announced the pending release of PPC 970 Powermacs and simultaneously announced huge $300-600 reductions in the current line) reductions on current hardware I think they'd be fine. People love deals.

This is going to be a very different WWDC.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Powermac sales are already on life support.

If Apple announced the pending release of PPC 970 Powermacs and simultaneously announced huge $300-600 reductions in the current line) reductions on current hardware I think they'd be fine. People love deals.

This is going to be a very different WWDC.

I agree, but is that a better strategy than accepting orders for the 970 PM at the same time. I know I would hit the "buy now" button faster than you can say ...

Maybe twice even

If the G4 received a big enough price drop, they would get rid of them anyway.
  • Reply 143 of 159
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I agree, but is that a better strategy than accepting orders for the 970 PM at the same time. I know I would hit the "buy now" button faster than you can say ...

Maybe twice even

If the G4 received a big enough price drop, they would get rid of them anyway.

It wouldn't be the first time that Apple have dumped excess stock in the landfill...didn't they have to do it with excess PowerBook G3 stocks somewhere around the move from Lombard to the Bronze KB Version?...
  • Reply 144 of 159
    Hell Apple. Become a little Altruistic and sell the Powermacs to the Education channel for pennies on the dollar. If you're going to take a loss then make sure it's promoting your future in some way.
  • Reply 145 of 159
    The PPC 970 rumors get better and better. Lets hope that MacBidouille is right.

At this speed, the rumors will be saying that the PPC 970 will be hitting speeds of 3 Ghz, then a couple of days later 4, then 5.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by robster

It wouldn't be the first time that Apple have dumped excess stock in the landfill...didn't they have to do it with excess PowerBook G3 stocks somewhere around the move from Lombard to the Bronze KB Version?...

I don't know about the PowerBook G3, but we all know how the Lisa ended up at the Logan Landfill in Utah in 1989

They better do something more constructive with the remaining machines this time. The PowerMac G4 does at least have some third party software available
  • Reply 147 of 159
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

DP 2.3GHz 1195--1343

SP 1.8 GHz 937--1051

SP1.4GHz 739--817

And keep in mind that SPEC doesn't take into account multiple processors, if it did those numbers would be about:

DP 2.3 GHz 2300 -- 2700

Not that I believe the rumour in question.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    vvmpvvmp Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

The PPC 970 rumors get better and better. Lets hope that MacBidouille is right.

At this speed, the rumors will be saying that the PPC 970 will be hitting speeds of 3 Ghz, then a couple of days later 4, then 5.

Don't know if I can trust MacBidouille. I'll wait for MacOSrumors to corroborate these rumors
  • Reply 149 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vvmp

Don't know if I can trust MacBidouille. I'll wait for MacOSrumors to corroborate these rumors

MacBidouille has been right on some rumors, but I think that they are more reliable than MacOSrumors is. I would just like to see something from ThinkSecret or Macrumors to get some info.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

MacBidouille has been right on some rumors, but I think that they are more reliable than MacOSrumors is. I would just like to see something from ThinkSecret or Macrumors to get some info.

Wasn't it MacBidouille that revealed pictures of the wind-tunnel before it was officially shown to the public?
  • Reply 151 of 159
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Wasn't it MacBidouille that revealed pictures of the wind-tunnel before it was officially shown to the public?

That is correct.

I trust MacBidouille some, but ThinkSecret seems to be the most reliable site. The MOSR-guy is smoking his own socks!
  • Reply 152 of 159
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Apple's announcing their DV strategy at NAB in early April.

There are rumors that IBM is fabbing production 970s even now.

AMD is wicked good at fabbing, I hear. AMD is working with IBM on fabs, I hear.

Suppose AMD and IBM get into the .9 fabbing of the 970s, just for giggles, and try a test run using AMD's methodology. Hell, even the .13 size with AMD's methodology. AND... they discover that the AMD way generates plenty of 2.3 ghz 970s with better heat management, etc. It also improves the number of 1.4,1.8 ghz 970s on the wafers, BTW.

Apple pulls one from up its sleeve and debuts a new high-end professional G5-970workstation at NAB: FCP, Cinema Tools, Shake, DVDSP take your pick or mix-n-match. Available in very limited quantities in late May.

Jc ducks as Matsu throws a trout.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by jccbin

Apple's announcing their DV strategy at NAB in early April.

There are rumors that IBM is fabbing production 970s even now.

Suppose AMD and IBM get into the .9 fabbing of the 970s, just for giggles, and try a test run using AMD's methodology. Hell, even the .13 size with AMD's methodology. AND... they discover that the AMD way generates plenty of 2.3 ghz 970s with better heat management, etc. It also improves the number of 1.4,1.8 ghz 970s on the wafers, BTW.

Apple pulls one from up its sleeve and debuts a new high-end professional G5-970workstation at NAB: FCP, Cinema Tools, Shake, DVDSP take your pick or mix-n-match. Available in very limited quantities in late May.

Jc ducks as Matsu throws a trout.

It is nice to dream... Yes?
  • Reply 154 of 159
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Suppose AMD and IBM get into the .9 fabbing of the 970s, just for giggles, and try a test run using AMD's methodology.

You realise AMD paid IBM to help them right?
  • Reply 155 of 159
    Quote:

AMD is wicked good at fabbing,

Did I just wake up in some reverse alternate universe. AMD is ok but I wouldn't say they're wicked good.
  • Reply 156 of 159
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Did I just wake up in some reverse alternate universe. AMD is ok but I wouldn't say they're wicked good.

Well... maybe he should have re-phrased things just a bit... How about: in relation to MOT how would you define AMDs fab? From where I sit, 'wicked good' wouldn't be too far a stretch.

Dave
  • Reply 157 of 159
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

[B

AND... they discover that the AMD way generates plenty of 2.3 ghz 970s with better heat management, etc.

[/B]

AMD with better heat management? The same AMD which gives tech support advice like "try running it with the case cover off"? The same AMD which makes CPUs that'll fry in less than 5 seconds if the heatsink/fan suddenly stops working?

Let's think about that one. AMD has their place, and it's not inside a Mac ('sides those SCSI controller chips from waaay back )

IBM will have no problem delivering the PPC970 all by their lonesome. I predict that the first Macs using the 970 will show up by late summer at the earliest, January '04 at the latest. We shall see...
  • Reply 158 of 159
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    CONFIRMED: WE HAVE JUST FOUND A 2.5 YEAR OLD LINK TO AN APPLE PLACEHOLDER WEBPAGE FOR BUYING FONTS.
  • Reply 159 of 159
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    It was a dream....

I have personally witnessed an Athlon fry. Not fun. Not fun at all.

Does that mean that SOMEONE (IBM is fine by me) isn't storing up some chips from some very successful early runs? No. With all the trouble MOT has had in the last HALF-DECADE, I think we're in line for some good luck on the PPC front, don't you?

:-)