Apple restricts offensive AirTag engravings, including emoji combinations

Posted:
in General Discussion
As is Apple's wont, the company is restricting customers from engraving AirTag with potentially offensive text or emoji characters, lest the unwashed masses sully its sterling reputation.

Like other Apple products, AirTag can be custom engraved from the factory for easy identification. The option is a welcome addition for a device that will likely find its way onto a variety of commonly lost items, from bags to keychains.

AirTag is big enough to accommodate up to three emoji or four text characters, but as The Verge points out, Apple restricts users from deemed inappropriate content. For example, a horse with a "pile of poo" emoji is prohibited, while other animal-poo combinations are allowed.

Four-letter expletives, derogatory terms and other questionable text are similarly blocked.

The same restrictions have applied to Apple's free engraving service for years, but the policy could surprise those who have yet to use the service. Considering AirTag's relatively low price and use case, more people are likely to have the device engraved with a special mark to claim ownership or denote a specific tracked item.

Prospective buyers can preview engravings on Apple's AirTag purchase page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    “... lest the unwashed masses sully its sterling reputation”

yup. 
    patchythepiratebeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    AirTag is big enough to accommodate up to three emoji or four text characters, 

Four-letter expletives, derogatory terms and other questionable text are similarly blocked.
    I had no trouble getting four emojis. Emojis come in different widths and you must have been trying the wide ones. Try the narrower ones, like the first four. You can always fit the first four, apparently because they are narrower than most of the others.

If you try a single emoji with four narrow letters like "iiii" it rejects that even though it's more than narrow enough to fit. So there is a hard limit of four characters even if they fit.

I also had no trouble fitting my 7-digit telephone number (without area code) using three double digit emojis and a single digit emoji. Some phone numbers may not be choosable because there are no two digit numbers above 50, but a little creativity with single digit emojis can sometimes fix that. That would take too long to explain here. But if we all agree that a black emoji number represents the same number "+50" then any 8 digit number can be displayed. That gives 100,000,000 possible numeric values. Let's all agree on that (ie, that black digit pairs represent the number 50 above its apparent value.)

If you are able to put your 7 digit phone number on it, and someone finds your lost AirTag, and they realize that that's your phone number on there, then you won't even have to put your device into "Lost Mode" and they will still be able to contact you. As long as you lost your device in the same area code as they found it.
    edited April 2021 caladanianapplguybeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

If you are able to put your 7 digit phone number on it, and someone finds your lost AirTag, and they realize that that's your phone number on there, then you won't even have to put your device into "Lost Mode" and they will still be able to contact you. As long as you lost your device in the same area code as they found it.
    Clever.
    Beats
  • Reply 4 of 14
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    I thought Apple used to claim that emoji is chocolate ice cream…
    edited April 2021 caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    riverko said:
    I thought Apple used to claim that emoji is chocolate ice cream…
    Seems to work fine here. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    nlrznlrz Posts: 11member
    I wonder if the Taiwan flag emoji works (🇹🇼)? On iPhones set to the China region the Taiwan flag renders as a black box.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:

Clever.
    You can probably get a keyring with your phone number on it for $2.
    elijahgtyler82
  • Reply 8 of 14
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    That’s going to be fun, when Asians want a Lucky 88 on their tag, and hyperventilating SJWs start pointing out that Neo-Nazis use that instead of HH 🤦🏻‍♂️

Could Apple stop with the Disneyfication of the world? It’s OK to be offended and to offend! It’s part of the human experience.

And what about the hand emoji that in some cultures means a-hole and in others a-OK? Or the one that either means “rock on” or “you’re girl ist cheating on you” depending on cultural context?
    or, or, or, …

Apple might just as well stop engraving anything at all, because in some language, in some context, someone will find anything offensive.
    caladanianlkruppelijahgllamatyler82
  • Reply 9 of 14

rcfa said:
    That’s going to be fun, when Asians want a Lucky 88 on their tag, and hyperventilating SJWs start pointing out that Neo-Nazis use that instead of HH 🤦🏻‍♂️

Could Apple stop with the Disneyfication of the world? It’s OK to be offended and to offend! It’s part of the human experience.

And what about the hand emoji that in some cultures means a-hole and in others a-OK? Or the one that either means “rock on” or “you’re girl ist cheating on you” depending on cultural context?
    or, or, or, …

Apple might just as well stop engraving anything at all, because in some language, in some context, someone will find anything offensive.
    So true: where to start, where to end 
    elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 14
    News flash: companies can censor anything they want. I worked at a company that allowed t-shirts on casual dress days, but they couldn't have any type of graphic or text on them, including logos. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I for one just love walking around a mall seeing t-shirts that shout out in big capital letters “SUCK MY COCK”. I mean it’s freedom of expression, right? Nobody can tell ME what to do, right?]

So much class from the unwashed masses. I remember the shareholder meeting of Time Warner where actor Charlton Heston, a Time Warner stockholder, read the filthy, disgusting lyrics of some of the songs Time Warner was distributing, including “KKK Bitch”. The audience was aghast and angry but Heston reminded them that they were making money on that filth.

I applaud Apple’s censorship in matters like this. Oh, and so do most state DMVs with personalized license plates. 

"lest the unwashed masses sully its sterling reputation.” These devices are Apple branded and the logo is plain to see. Let the unwashed masses stew in their own juice.
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Good for Apple. This is such a non-issue. If you so desperately need to put something offensive on your tag, purchase a hand engraver and offend to your heart’s content. I suspect only high school teenagers will want to do this, so no big deal. 
    dangermouse2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MicDorseyMicDorsey Posts: 100member
    crowley said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Clever.
    You can probably get a keyring with your phone number on it for $2.
    AMEN! I was thinking the same thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This is dumb. What’s wrong with unicorn poop? Why does it matter? I think people should be allowed to engrave what they want.

Rayz2016 said:

Clever.

Yes, but sadly he shouldn’t have to be clever. They should allow whole sentences like:

Please return my dog! 😢 
    (555) 555-5155

If found call
    (555) 555-5155

lkrupp said:
    I for one just love walking around a mall seeing t-shirts that shout out in big capital letters “SUCK MY COCK”. I mean it’s freedom of expression, right? Nobody can tell ME what to do, right?]

So much class from the unwashed masses. I remember the shareholder meeting of Time Warner where actor Charlton Heston, a Time Warner stockholder, read the filthy, disgusting lyrics of some of the songs Time Warner was distributing, including “KKK Bitch”. The audience was aghast and angry but Heston reminded them that they were making money on that filth.

I applaud Apple’s censorship in matters like this. Oh, and so do most state DMVs with personalized license plates. 

"lest the unwashed masses sully its sterling reputation.” These devices are Apple branded and the logo is plain to see. Let the unwashed masses stew in their own juice.

It’s like an inch wide. No one’s gonna get offended.