Spotify to launch rival podcast subscriptions to Apple

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Spotify is reportedly planning to introduce a paid podcast subscription service, and not take a cut of revenue as Apple's new Podcast subscriptions will.

Spotify to overtake Apple Podcasts by end of 2021
Apple Podcasts (left) and Spotify

Following Apple's announcement of paid subscription podcasts, rival Spotify is said to be about to introduce a competing service as soon as next week. It's part of Spotify's continued expansion of non-music services.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Spotify's offering will reportedly differ from Apple's by not charging a fee, nor taking a revenue cut.

Citing unnamed sources familiar with the plans, the Wall Street Journal says that Spotify will also allow podcast creators to set their own pricing. Reportedly, once the service is available, users of Spotify's iOS app will pay for a subscription via a website.

If correct, that means Apple will not take a cut of that revenue as it does with regular in-app purchases.

Spotify has not commented on the report. And Apple has not yet set a date beyond "next month," for the launch of its service.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    I watch a few channels on Youtube (e.g., science, space, chess) and if these channels included a paid service via Apple Podcasts where they didn't get my email address, I'd probably subscribe. Apple's new service seems to suggest that only Apple will get my email address. Looks like I will be spending more money, but getting rid of those annoying youtube ads every 3-5 minutes.

If I used Spotify, would Spotify be sending my email address to each podcast I subscribe to?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I don't know. That sounds very problematic to me. Apple announced it first, so nobody else should be allowed to enter the market. Better alert Sen. Klobuchar
    lkruppBeatsBombdoejony0
  • Reply 3 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Seems very unlikely that Spotify won't at least take a payment processing fee.

Then again, they have lost money pretty much throughout their existence, so why stop now?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mike1 said:
    I don't know. That sounds very problematic to me. Apple announced it first, so nobody else should be allowed to enter the market. Better alert Sen. Klobuchar
    BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT
  • Reply 5 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Never fails.

Apple announces something and another company quickly craps out a product to compete.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    crowley said:

Then again, they have lost money pretty much throughout their existence, so why stop now?
    Well....

Every time they get more cash from investors at least the pockets of Daniel Ek bulges a litte bit more. Deliberate technical accounting losses?

Anyway, looks like he wants to fiddle with Arsenal too... 
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2021/04/23/spotifys-daniel-ek-says-he-would-buy-arsenal-if-billionaire-stan-kroenke-agreed-to-sell/
  • Reply 7 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Hubro said:
    crowley said:

Well....

Every time they get more cash from investors at least the pockets of Daniel Ek bulges a litte bit more. Deliberate technical accounting losses?

Anyway, looks like he wants to fiddle with Arsenal too... 
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeiklebnikov/2021/04/23/spotifys-daniel-ek-says-he-would-buy-arsenal-if-billionaire-stan-kroenke-agreed-to-sell/

Spotify is a dirty company. They have record labels invested in them so artists get paid less.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Beats said:

Spotify is a dirty company. They have record labels invested in them so artists get paid less.
    Wouldn´t touch them with a hayfork. As dirty as it gets. The music industry always prayed on the artists. Most of the afro american jazz and blues artists that formed the backbone of American music was left with nothing. And those who were credited for signing them were hailed as heroes.