Apple burns early iPad Pro adopters, loyal customers with Magic Keyboard incompatibility

Comments

• Reply 81 of 109
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Just sell the keyboard along with your old iPad Pro. 
    Exactly

Or more likely, Apple knows that no one who bought the last generation iPad Pro is going to be looking to buy another one just yet. 
    I wanted to buy. To upgrade my 2020 with 512 Memory to 2021 with 1 or 2 TB. But I don’t want to pay more for the keyboard. Even if I sell it, I need to pay over selling price some additional money to cover it. I refuse it. So yeah. Now I am not looking to upgrade my iPad. 
  • Reply 82 of 109
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mac_dog said:
    In no other industry do people raise such a fuss about trying to get deals a year after they’ve purchased a product. In fact, not even other computer companies. I guess if enough babies cry and bang their sippy cups, Apple will bend. 

Don't blame poor design, engineering, planning and marketing on the customer who just took it on the chin.

But, maybe the customer should have expected this:  The iPad team has a pretty poor track record with things like external keyboards and trackpads.  They've been dragging their feet for years.   But most still expect better from Apple.

• Reply 83 of 109
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    dysamoria said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    Seems like there are plenty of people here prepared to upgrade, so I don’t see the problem. It makes perfect sense for Apple to exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can.
    “I don’t see the problem” ... “exploit as many people as possible for as much as they can”.

This is everything wrong with the normalization of laissez-faire capitalism, right here.
    No it’s everything wrong with Apple apologists.
  • Reply 84 of 109
    mjtomlin said:
    Never assume that you'll be able to use any accessory across different generations of a device. There's always a possibility that the form factor may change.

Just sell your old set up as a bundle. Yes, you're going to lose money, but you would've regardless for used kit.
    If there was a real change to the form factor or keyboard I could understand but the iPad and keyboard look nearly identical to the 2020 and 2018 models. Just slightly thicker and a bit heavier to accommodate the new display. The new keyboard is backwards compatible. So why wasn’t this keyboard the one they introduced last year? Microsoft Surface keyboards work across multiple generations of Surface Pros. To me that’s good design.

Since everyone is telling the complainers to just sell it perhaps Apple should offer a trade-in for it. They’re offering me $585 for my 2018 iPad Pro. If they threw in another $100 for the keyboard maybe I’d upgrade. It’s so much easier doing a trade-in with Apple than trying to sell yourself on eBay or wherever.
    canukstormGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 85 of 109
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    mjtomlin said:
    Never assume that you'll be able to use any accessory across different generations of a device. There's always a possibility that the form factor may change.

Just sell your old set up as a bundle. Yes, you're going to lose money, but you would've regardless for used kit.
    If there was a real change to the form factor or keyboard I could understand but the iPad and keyboard look nearly identical to the 2020 and 2018 models. Just slightly thicker and a bit heavier to accommodate the new display. The new keyboard is backwards compatible. So why wasn’t this keyboard the one they introduced last year? Microsoft Surface keyboards work across multiple generations of Surface Pros. To me that’s good design.

Since everyone is telling the complainers to just sell it perhaps Apple should offer a trade-in for it. They’re offering me $585 for my 2018 iPad Pro. If they threw in another $100 for the keyboard maybe I’d upgrade. It’s so much easier doing a trade-in with Apple than trying to sell yourself on eBay or wherever.
    100% Agree.
  • Reply 86 of 109
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    This is wrong, just flat out wrong. Making the tablet thicker is no reason to make my MK incompatible. Now I gotta sell my 2020 model and MK and buy a tab S8 plus because Sammy would never do us like this. 
    Good for you & good luck with Sammy - why are you here (1st post no less)?
    qwerty52pscooter63fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 109

dysamoria said:
    Sorry but I don’t think a person can reasonably expect a fitment-specific accessory designed to for generation A to also fit generation B.  Doesn’t matter how expensive it is.

When I buy a case for an iPhone it’s with the understanding that it’s (likely) only going to 100% fit the iPhone I’m buying.
    That’s a case. They don’t usually cost hundreds of dollars.
    The Magic Keyboard for the iPad is a case also.  It also happens to come with a nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad.  That's why it costs hundreds of dollars.
    qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 109
    Yeah similar problem here when I found out my Apple trackpad that works as intended with my Intel Mac mini doesn’t work with my M1 Mac mini when I want to select & drag‼️
    So now I need to buy another WiFi trackpad or mouse to use it as my living room TV screen as monitor 4K computer.  :(
    Total BULLSHIT - works just fine here, in exactly the same way it works with an Intel Mac mini.  Maybe you didn't configure the trackpad features the same in you are M1 Mac mini.  Especially if it was a new macOS system, where old settings don't carry over.  A few version back, tap & drag was moved to Accessibility.  If you just kept upgrading an old intel Mac mini, the settings carry over.  On your new M1 Mac mini, you have to go turn it on.

Learn how to use your new hardware with a new, clean OS install and stop spreading bullshit.
    qwerty52fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 109
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    The only people Apple “burned” are the same group that feel they are somehow entitled to anything they want because “unfair” 
    hammeroftruththtmike1fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 109
    Not the first time something like this happens.  I remember buying an iPad 3 on launch day only for the iPad 4 with Retina display launching a few months later.

No-one offered me a trade in.
    I think someone is just trying to pile on. The iPad 3 had a really short lifespan of about 6 months, getting a lot of customers unaware. Just one detail: iPad 3 had a Retina display. The writing was all over the wall, since iPhone 4 and 4S has them.

The so called iPad 4 also had a Retina display, but one of the striking changes was the Lightening connector, replacing the 30-pin that came with earlier generations. There was a surprise, even though everyone expected the next iPad to use Lightening, after the iPhone 5 launched, that expectation was for next spring.

If you really had bought that iPad I’d wager that you’d know it had a Retina display, not a Lightening port.

And lastly: true or not, I don’t think neither you nor the article are correct in your overall assessment. All those devices and accessories didn’t stop working when a newer one came out. There is nothing in the way to continue getting value from their purchase. I know that! Even now my wife got our old iPad 2 from the drawer for a quick reading. That was also bought on day one, and still has the leather Smart Cover that I bought together with it, just over 10 years ago!

So, if some people choose (or afford) to replace last year’s hardware just because it isn’t the latest and greatest anymore, I don’t think the for profit corporation that sell them is really the one at fault for not valuing people’s expenditures.
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 109
    longfang said:
    The only people Apple “burned” are the same group that feel they are somehow entitled to anything they want because “unfair” 
    Someone who gives Apple $350 for an accessory is entitled? Microsoft’s Surface Pro type cover is only $129 and it works across multiple generations of Surface Pro machines. This is just bad design by Apple.
    canukstormGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 92 of 109
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    The company already takes trade-ins of previous-gen devices, including iPads — why not initiate a Magic Keyboard trade-in program too?

It’s not Apple taking the trade-ins. They work with third parties for the program, Apple is literally just a middleman. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 109
    nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:
    Sorry but I don’t think a person can reasonably expect a fitment-specific accessory designed to for generation A to also fit generation B.  Doesn’t matter how expensive it is.

When I buy a case for an iPhone it’s with the understanding that it’s (likely) only going to 100% fit the iPhone I’m buying.
    The Magic Keyboard for the iPad is a case also.  It also happens to come with a nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad.  That's why it costs hundreds of dollars.
    And poorly designed since it had to be redesigned only one year after being introduced.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 94 of 109
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    cpsro said:
    kkapoor said:
    Define 'incompatible'. I wager the new 12.9" iPad will work just fine with the old keyboard. This is just Apple being Apple with their standards with regards to tight engineering tolerances.
    It might work, with the fit being just a tiny bit imperfect.
    Or Apple might've felt the imperfect fit somehow created the potential for catastrophe and made the electrical contacts not align, so people wouldn't even bother trying.
    The hands-on review on Forbes indicates that the old Magic Keyboard for the 12.9” unit does work with the new iPad Pro 12.9” in the OPEN position, but does not fold properly over the new iPad Pro. So if you only use the MK when using the iPad Pro as a desktop/laptop computer you can soldier on with their old MK for a while. 

I’m on a 3 year refresh cycle with iPads so when I go for a new iPad Pro I’ll be getting a white one with the new white Magic Keyboard. But then again, after having a 12.9” iPad Pro I’ll never get another one. It’s too big for me to use comfortably as a tablet. The smaller sized one is fine, and would be replacing my iPad Pro 10.5. If I wanted a desktop computer with about the same screen size as the 12.9” iPad Pro I’d get a MacBook Air/Pro 13” but I’m holding out for the next gen M chip and at least 32 GB memory - oh, and a new iPad Mini.

So how many folks here are actually impacted by the incompatibility of the new iPad Pro 12.9” with the old Magic Keyboard? I’ve only seen one post claiming that they would not be upgrading to the new iPad Pro 12.9” because of this added cost.
    edited April 2021 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 109
    longfang said:
    Someone who gives Apple $350 for an accessory is entitled? Microsoft’s Surface Pro type cover is only $129 and it works across multiple generations of Surface Pro machines. This is just bad design by Apple.
    How is that called giving Apple $350? It’s called paying. And if Microsoft’s offering was so much better value then go with that. For myself and enough people it seems, Apple’s $350 offering is a better value. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 109

nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:

And poorly designed since it had to be redesigned only one year after being introduced.
    So what would be a “proper” amount of time then? 2 years? 3? A decade?

I’d rather have accessories designed optimally for the current product and that the current product not be compromised by the needs of legacy. Legacy considerations is how we end up with stagnation.
    williamlondonforegoneconclusiondewmemike1fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 109
    The company already takes trade-ins of previous-gen devices, including iPads — why not initiate a Magic Keyboard trade-in program too?

It’s not Apple taking the trade-ins. They work with third parties for the program, Apple is literally just a middleman. 
    Actually they do take the trade in. They also sometimes make up the difference in the trade, meaning that they will kick in a few extra bucks. That is why lately their trade in prices on some products have gotten better. Now they do end up selling those trade ins to a couple big companies like Brightstar, but I do believe they give more than they get to get you to upgrade your device. 

In this case, (pun intended), Apple could offer a trade in for a keyboard case in good shape and offer on top of that a rebate when you buy the new one with the iPad Pro. 

If they don’t do anything, this would be a great opportunity for competitors to create their own upgrade path like Logitech and others.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 109
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    longfang said:

nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:

So what would be a “proper” amount of time then? 2 years? 3? A decade?

I’d rather have accessories designed optimally for the current product and that the current product not be compromised by the needs of legacy. Legacy considerations is how we end up with stagnation.
    As long as the design of subsequent equivalent iPad models don’t  change
  • Reply 99 of 109
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:

Not really, I just bought a case with a "nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad" on Amazon for a 6th Gen iPad for $59.  It works very well!
  • Reply 100 of 109
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    nicholfd said:

dysamoria said:

Not really, I just bought a case with a "nice, backlit keyboard, and a touch pad" on Amazon for a 6th Gen iPad for $59.  It works very well!
    We're talking about the iPad Pro 12.9 inch in this thread. 
    Your keyboard is for the classic iPad 9.7 inch and I'm pretty certain that they go for pennies on a dollar nowadays.  
    watto_cobra