Comcast, what a joke

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Comcast recently bought at&t broadband cable and promised improved

service, at competative rates.

well their cable and BB internet service has been sporadic at best,

and now they inform us that our rates are going from $40 per month to $60 per month for BB internet and from $70 to $90 per mointh for digital cable.

This is an outrage, they cannot justify such a huge rate increase. They are

as bad as the energy companies that "own" this government, and have been raping our pocket books for years.

Looks like DSL and Dish for me.

so, "Hey Comcast ..l., " methinks you are going to lose alot of business over this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I hate them too. Mine won't be that high. I pay $45-50 a month for internet and $38.00 for basic and standard cable.

They keep offering those BS digital cable offers (and I have a set than can take advantage). The problem is, they offer no combo deals. One must pay the basic and standard charge PLUS the digital charge. WTF? I pay almost $90 a month now for my services. They offer digital cable for 19.95 per month....that's, oh my LORD, $110 a month. Then the price goes up to like $39.95 a month after 3 months! That's like $130 a month for cable services...with no premium channels.

Am I wrong here? Do I read this right? Look, if digital cable was like $45 a month and my internet was the same...we'd have a deal. Damn, that's still $90 a month....for friggin TV and internet. For $45 a month I can get DirectTV with local and cable channels...with digital quality. Comcast needs to do more than just run ads berating the Dish. What that really shows me is that the Dish has been successful.

Comcast also needs to offer some sort of combo package. Like digital cable and internet for $75 a month. That would be reaosnable. But $130? No thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    How were you informed? I haven't received any notification of this...My last bill was for $46.95 or so, what I've been paying with ATTBI...
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

How were you informed? I haven't received any notification of this...My last bill was for $46.95 or so, what I've been paying with ATTBI...

we recieved our bill in the mail yesterday and the increases were just put on there. no notification!

and $45 a month is about what I was paying for attbi BB internet.

our bill is as follows: Digital premium TV(ALL channels) $89.99

Comcast Broadband internet $59.99
  • Reply 4 of 23
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Does this affect ALL comcast subscribers? I've had comcast broadband all along and I only pay 40 bucks a month.

If the rates go as high as 60 a month I'm going to switch to Verizon.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

Does this affect ALL comcast subscribers? I've had comcast broadband all along and I only pay 40 bucks a month.

If the rates go as high as 60 a month I'm going to switch to Verizon.

I'm sure it will, I mean...why not?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'm not a Comcast customer but at the beginning of this year Cablevision/OptimumOnline increased our rates also at the beginning of this year. And they don't even offer digital cable! Was: $29 for cable internet & $29 for TV. Now: $39 for internet and $37 for TV. Did we get notice of this increase? NO! I was outraged to say the least and have been looking for alternatives when our contract expires.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

I'm sure it will, I mean...why not?

Different areas of the country perhaps?
  • Reply 8 of 23
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Comcast. The monopoly you love to hate...hmmm, sounds familiar.

I don't have Comcast's cable internet. I've been waiting for the pricing to come down. But that will never happen. Seems that most prices for everything go up. Welcome to reality.

This week I recieved a letter from Comcast indicating that the Sundance channel will be removed from their analog line up and be moved onto their digital line up. This means I have to switch to digital to get the channel I chose in my package ("Good Times"). No options. No other cable provider to go to. And spend more money for it.

Plus, since I work 9-5 and on Saturdays now they can't get a technician to come over and switch this. I have to go down to their facilities, pick up the digital box, sign up for digital, go home and install it myself on Sunday.

Assholes. And I would like to thank the losers who in a survey chose the Home and Garden Channel and Animal Planet over Sundance for this change too. Culture is dead. Long live flowers, dog and cat shit.

• Reply 9 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    they're moving to digital because it's almost impossible to pirate it. so then they move over premium channels first. it's annoying as hell, but since most people pirate HBO and the like, it makes some sense.

to me i couldn't justify spening $1,000 a year to watch stupid TV.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    All I really need is sports.

Netflix keeps my DVD Coffers full and the shows I'm interested in watching like the Sopranos CSI and 24 are on DVD.

I will not pay $90 for the garbage on TV.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm a comcast customer (that may change) and I got a letter in the mail. Also the newspapers around here have reported on all the complaints about the issue. I was one of the first Cable Modem users on my block. It started at $23 a month 3Mbit down, 128K up and no problems. Now it is 1.7Mbit down, 256K up and $70 a month! I also have a website ($20) and AOL Dial up ($25) when the cable cuts out. And comcast gives you a discount (-$20) if you also buy Cable TV? Why would internet cost MORE if I don't want cable TV?!

Needless to say, I am PISSED!!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Artman @_@ writes:

Quote:

Assholes. And I would like to thank the losers who in a survey chose the Home and Garden Channel and Animal Planet over Sundance for this change too. Culture is dead. Long live flowers, dog and cat shit

Perhaps we should rename this the "Fvck Comcast thread". It pisses me to no end. I guess they just think that everyone will cave-in and get digital cable.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    all i can say is thank god for direct TV.

at that way there's some competition
  • Reply 14 of 23
    welcome to the Evil Empire my rates arren't that high...yet!
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

all i can say is thank god for direct TV.

at that way there's some competition

So it's good, eh? Care to tell us more? I'm considering it.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

So it's good, eh? Care to tell us more? I'm considering it.

I was considering it also, but I have 2 kids at home with thier own tv's in their rooms, add the Living room, my bedroom, and then my "man space", and it would cost a lot more money to provide cable type programming to all the rooms.

I am looking into DSL for internet, so if anyone with some experience can advise please PM me, or just give it up to all of us who are soon to be "cable refugees"
  • Reply 17 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Problem here is that there's no cable alternative and DSL of the same caliber costs just as much if not more.

$60 for 1500/256 kbit is better and cheaper than, for example, Speakeasy's 1500/128 kbit ADSL service...

That and I'm bumming cable TV...
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Problem here is that there's no cable alternative and DSL of the same caliber costs just as much if not more.

$60 for 1500/256 kbit is better and cheaper than, for example, Speakeasy's 1500/128 kbit ADSL service...

That and I'm bumming cable TV...

I noticed the cost are the same for comparable service, but it is alot cheaper for about half the download bandwidth. I'm not sure if 768kbps is enough bandwidth for my mac, my kids imac and my ps2 online gaming\
  • Reply 19 of 23
    i have no idea if directTV is good, i wouldn't pay for either one. i'm just glad there's someone else out there keeping the stupid cable company honest.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i'm just glad there's someone else out there keeping the stupid cable company honest.

HONEST???

Earth to alcimedes...

Come in alcimedes...

Over.

\