First AirTag orders arrive two days early

Posted:
in General Discussion
Though AirTag is not due to arrive in customer hands until Friday, some lucky buyers are beginning to receive their pack of four trackers days ahead schedule.

AirTag Early
Source: MacRumors

At least two customers who purchased Apple's AirTag four-pack from Best Buy took receipt of the item on Wednesday. One person promptly unboxed the device for a few obligatory photos sent to both MacRumors and 9to5Mac.

Not all orders placed through Best Buy are arriving early, and the shipping mistake is likely the result of carriers not heeding Apple's usual delivery restrictions for launch products. The tech giant typically requires shipping companies to hold newly released products for delivery to ensure both online and in-store orders arrive on the same day.

Apple announced the long-awaited AirTag at its "Spring Loaded" special event on April 20. The $29 tracker features a speaker, Bluetooth, NFC and U1 chip for broad Find My network discovery and precision finding with compatible iPhones. One of the few Apple products to boast a user-replaceable battery, the accessory is designed to attach to bags, keychains and other commonly lost items, where it can serve as a homing beacon for up to a year.

Preorders for the device kicked off last Friday, with initial stock quickly selling out. Current orders see ship times pushed back into May, while engraving adds another month to the process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    My 4 pack (engraved) is scheduled to arrive May 12-17 but it already moved from processing to preparing to ship. 

Checking my order status is a rewarding hobby of mine…
    JapheyWgkruegerlaBombawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,644member
    It would have been a major technical coup and piece of showmanship had Apple been able to activate the tags prior to shipping so customers could track their tags in transit. 
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 826member
    dewme said:
    It would have been a major technical coup and piece of showmanship had Apple been able to activate the tags prior to shipping so customers could track their tags in transit. 
    Activate & pair them to what?  They don't know what device you have or want to use them with.  What if they are a gift?  

Think it through...
    Xedlkrupptwokatmewbuttesilverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,007member
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:
    Activate & pair them to what?  They don't know what device you have or want to use them with.  What if they are a gift?  

Think it through...
    I don’t think it would have been IMPOSSIBLE.  Apple could have sent a link that could initiate a demo paring mode.  It would have to be limited to avoid annoying chirps in transit and such.  

I imagine it would have been a lot of work and it would probably introduce all sorts of extra security vulnerabilities, so I’m not saying it would have been worth it, but I agree it would have been cool…
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Looking forward to the Air Tag! Will be helpful as I'm a very forgetful person lol. 

Good news on the orders being early, cannot wait to order mine on pay day!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...
    You don’t think they know exactly what devices you have? Seriously? Or that it would have been too difficult to ask if it was a gift?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...
    Doesn’t Apple have all of your device characteristics in its database, along with your Apple ID?

I’m just saying it would make for an awesome first impression, but if it’s technically impossible, no big deal. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    dewme said:
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...
    Doesn’t Apple have all of your device characteristics in its database, along with your Apple ID?

I’m just saying it would make for an awesome first impression, but if it’s technically impossible, no big deal. 
    I agree that it would have been a great way to bring publicity to them, as well as give a nice way for people to track their orders, and also a way to foil porch pirates (!), but wouldn’t they start chiming to alert the delivery driver that he or she is being tracked?
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17

Apple AirTag is a well-designed product that brings powerful features. If you are using the latest two generations of iPhone, UWB tracking and “Find My” application will be very good. (https://uhomegadgets.com/smart-gadgets/)

Pros

• Compact design
    • Lower cost of entry
    • IP67 weather-resistance
    • Apple’s U1 chip and UWB for precise location

• Cons
      • UWB only works with iPhone 11/11 Pro/12/12 Pro series
      • App compatibility is limited to iOS
      • Must purchase accessories to attach to items
    edited April 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,338member
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...
    Have you been in the apple store app lately? It lists every device this is registered to your Apple ID.

Go to the shop tab at the bottom of the app then hit the icon at the top right of the shop page. You will see your name and apple Id. You will see tabs for reservations, Orders and devices. Tap devices and you will see the full list of devices that are connected to your Apple Id. B)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    jcs2305 said:
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...
    Have you been in the apple store app lately? It lists every device this is registered to your Apple ID.

Go to the shop tab at the bottom of the app then hit the icon at the top right of the shop page. You will see your name and apple Id. You will see tabs for reservations, Orders and devices. Tap devices and you will see the full list of devices that are connected to your Apple Id. B)

Everyone is missing the point - these things are securely paired with your devices.  As described by Apple, this requires proximity for the pairing.  And some of us don't use the same e-mail address for ordering Apple products as we use for iCloud/devices.

And as far as "tracking your order", if people expect that type of tracking with these, then they are going to be extremely disappointed.  These generally have 20'-30' open air range with bluetooth.  Airplane shipping would show no tracking activity.  Probably loading/unloading at an airport or semi trailer would show no movement. Even the UPS/FedEx delivery vehicle, with all the boxes, and the driver must have an iPhone, will probably show no tracking.  

What's the point?
    buttesilverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    fred1 said:
    dewme said:
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...

I agree that it would have been a great way to bring publicity to them, as well as give a nice way for people to track their orders, and also a way to foil porch pirates (!), but wouldn’t they start chiming to alert the delivery driver that he or she is being tracked?
    Thank you. 
  • Reply 13 of 17

Samsung’s Galaxy SmartTag+ has many built-in smart features, including smart home controls. By using the extensive SmartThings search network, you can quickly find lost items. However, UWB is currently limited to the latest Galaxy series phones.

Apple AirTag is a well-designed product that brings powerful features. If you are using the latest two generations of iPhone, UWB tracking and “Find My” application will be very good.

Pros

• Can be found using Samsung SmartThings Find and AR
    • Built-in loop for attaching to items
    • Utilizes UltraWide Band (UWB) for accurate tracking
    • Can control smart home devices with it

Cons

• SmartThings Find only works on Galaxy devices
    • UltraWide Band only works with the Galaxy S1 and the Z Fold 2
    • More expensive
    • Only IP53 resistant

Apple AirTag is a well-designed product that brings powerful features. If you are using the latest two generations of iPhone, UWB tracking and “Find My” application will be very good.

Pros

Compact designLower cost of entryIP67 weather-resistanceApple’s U1 chip and UWB for precise location

Cons

In today’s busy lifestyle, things can easily make us at a loss. From car keys to luggage, and more, things can be misplaced. This is the technology that both Samsung and Apple use Bluetooth LE and Ultra Wideband (UWB) to make their trackers more accurate and fully functional.

Although the figures of the two are relatively small, AirTag has indeed achieved the top spot. Disc-shaped trackers are generally about a quarter of an inch smaller and thinner at the same time, and connecting them to a set of keys seems to make a difference of only a minute, that is, less is more. If you lose those keys that may be exposed to the rain, you will have IP67 weather resistance to ensure that your AirTag can still help you find them.

On the other hand, Samsung did manage to take advantage of the extra space by integrating smart home controls into SmartTag+. Samsung has one of the best smart home hubs that can support thousands of products. With just one click of SmartTag+, you can remotely control these devices. Although Samsung’s tracker does have IP53 water resistance, it is not as durable as AirTag.

Like most things, when it comes to Apple vs. Android and the products available for each product, it can largely be attributed to the ecosystem you are in. If you are fully focused on Apple, then AirTag will be a more suitable choice, while Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+ is the opposite. Apple has a larger network of devices compatible with the “Find My” app, while AirTag is cheaper and more weather resistant.

However, Samsung is rapidly expanding the availability of the SmartThings Find network for use with more devices. Currently, you can use it to locate mobile phones, Galaxy Tablet, Galaxy Buds Pro and Galaxy Watch 3, and more. SmartTag+ performs outstanding functions well, it comes with a built-in loop for additional items and smart home control, and functions can be added directly. In the end, both will be great products only when you use the right equipment.

Airtag accessories: AirTag Secure Holder with Key Ring (https://uhomegadgets.com/smart-gadgets/)

• Reply 13 of 17
    nicholfd said:
    jcs2305 said:
    nicholfd said:
    dewme said:

Think it through...

Everyone is missing the point - these things are securely paired with your devices.  As described by Apple, this requires proximity for the pairing.  And some of us don't use the same e-mail address for ordering Apple products as we use for iCloud/devices.

And as far as "tracking your order", if people expect that type of tracking with these, then they are going to be extremely disappointed.  These generally have 20'-30' open air range with bluetooth.  Airplane shipping would show no tracking activity.  Probably loading/unloading at an airport or semi trailer would show no movement. Even the UPS/FedEx delivery vehicle, with all the boxes, and the driver must have an iPhone, will probably show no tracking.  

What's the point?
    You're trying to roll the snowball up hill here today...no point.  Let them think about things a while  :*
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,542member
    Kind of disappointed I arranged to pick them up. Although, if I had a spare moment to think about it this week, I might have seen if they were ready for collection yesterday. Still, should be able to get them this afternoon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17

Samsung’s Galaxy SmartTag+ has many built-in smart features, including smart home controls. By using the extensive SmartThings search network, you can quickly find lost items. However, UWB is currently limited to the latest Galaxy series phones.

Pros

• Can be found using Samsung SmartThings Find and AR
    • Built-in loop for attaching to items
    • Utilizes UltraWide Band (UWB) for accurate tracking
    • Can control smart home devices with it

Cons

• SmartThings Find only works on Galaxy devices
    • UltraWide Band only works with the Galaxy S1 and the Z Fold 2
    • More expensive
    • Only IP53 resistant

Pros

Compact designLower cost of entryIP67 weather-resistanceApple’s U1 chip and UWB for precise location

Cons

In today’s busy lifestyle, things can easily make us at a loss. From car keys to luggage, and more, things can be misplaced. This is the technology that both Samsung and Apple use Bluetooth LE and Ultra Wideband (UWB) to make their trackers more accurate and fully functional.

Although the figures of the two are relatively small, AirTag has indeed achieved the top spot. Disc-shaped trackers are generally about a quarter of an inch smaller and thinner at the same time, and connecting them to a set of keys seems to make a difference of only a minute, that is, less is more. If you lose those keys that may be exposed to the rain, you will have IP67 weather resistance to ensure that your AirTag can still help you find them.

On the other hand, Samsung did manage to take advantage of the extra space by integrating smart home controls into SmartTag+. Samsung has one of the best smart home hubs that can support thousands of products. With just one click of SmartTag+, you can remotely control these devices. Although Samsung’s tracker does have IP53 water resistance, it is not as durable as AirTag.

Like most things, when it comes to Apple vs. Android and the products available for each product, it can largely be attributed to the ecosystem you are in. If you are fully focused on Apple, then AirTag will be a more suitable choice, while Samsung Galaxy SmartTag+ is the opposite. Apple has a larger network of devices compatible with the “Find My” app, while AirTag is cheaper and more weather resistant.

However, Samsung is rapidly expanding the availability of the SmartThings Find network for use with more devices. Currently, you can use it to locate mobile phones, Galaxy Tablet, Galaxy Buds Pro and Galaxy Watch 3, and more. SmartTag+ performs outstanding functions well, it comes with a built-in loop for additional items and smart home control, and functions can be added directly. In the end, both will be great products only when you use the right equipment.

Airtag accessories: AirTag Secure Holder with Key Ring (https://uhomegadgets.com/smart-gadgets/)

Thanks for being an obvious Samsung/Android shill with your new account & first post (Samsung first, because that's the product you're talking about the most).

Samsung abandoned their first SmartThings controllers - you now have to buy a 3rd party or give up your SmartThings automation.  That's a great way to treat customers.

Samsung != Android.  Samsung's "SmartThings Find" network, as you state it, only works with Samsung devices - maybe you stated it wrong?  There are fewer Samsung devices, than Android, and much less than iOS/iPadOS.  

You forgot to mention the price of the Samsung tags - IIRC, they are more expensive than Apples...  That's not in your chart.  I paid $25 each for 4 x Apple AirTags.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    My first four-pack is due to arrive tomorrow. I hope these are better implemented than Tiles are. I've been having a lot of issues with my Tile Mates sounding when I try to find them and the batteries don't last very long. I was really glad to see Apple go to a more standard 2032 cell. I'm really looking forward to the feature where they automatically ping you after three days; I have several items I've lost because the batteries died and I didn't have any indication that they did.
    watto_cobra