Facebook details impact of App Tracking Transparency to advertisers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2021
Facebook in a note to advertisers explained how Apple's App Tracking Transparency feature in iOS 14.5 will restrict availability of ad targeting and metrics tools, and potentially impact audience engagement.

Facebook App Tracking Transparency

The memo, obtained by Insider on Wednesday, outlines important information for advertisers relying on Facebook's vast social networking platform for distribution.

Along with general particulars regarding the launch of ATT in iOS 14.5, including integration of Apple's privacy-focused SKAdNetwork, Facebook notes the new prompt changes how reporting is handled on both the web and in the company's apps. From the memo:
  • 1-day click-through opt-out data will be modeled.

• 7-day click-through and 1-day view-through attribution settings will no longer include iOS 14.5 opted-out events.

• Action and demographic breakdowns will be deprecated for offsite events.

• Attribution setting default will change to 7-day click-through for newly created ad sets and web event campaigns.

• 28-day click-through, 7-day view-through, 28-day view-through attribution settings will be fully deprecated along with the Comparing Windows feature.
Further, attribution methodology shifts from Impression Time to Conversion Time. Due to the rollout period of Facebook's Aggregated Event Measurement, not all advertisers will face limitations this week, the company says, estimating that the tool will be widely available in two weeks.

Facebook expects adoption of iOS 14.5 to create fluctuations in the delivery and reporting of ad campaigns, as well as a potential decrease in addressable audience.

"As more people upgrade to iOS 14.5, opted-out users will automatically be excluded from certain targetable audiences, which may result in decrease of audience sizes," Facebook says.

This is, of course, by design. ATT was created to limit ad targeting by restricting app access to users' Identification for Advertisers (IDFA) tags. With the new feature active, developers are required to ask permission to track users across apps and the web by displaying a prompt on initial app setup.

Many users are expected to opt for more privacy, leaving ad companies in search of new targeting technologies. Apple provides the SKAdNetwork and Privacy Click Measurement as options that do not require user permission because they don't track user data.

On Wednesday, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg during the company's quarterly earnings conference call warned investors that fallout from ATT could begin to crop up in the second half of 2021. After months of decrying Apple's decision to implement ATT, Zuckerberg more recently said the feature might benefit his company if it pushes more traffic toward Facebook platforms.

During Apple's quarterly earnings call, CEO Tim Cook said initial user feedback to the new feature has been "tremendous," but did not have hard numbers on how many people used the feature to opt out of tracking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    My heart breaks for Facebook, especially Mark Zuckerberg. I’m sitting here crying crocodile tears. No, really, crocodile tears, I swear.  /s
    equality72521applguyablambertdewmetwokatmewmike1Rayz2016linuxhead64Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Can Mark Zuckerberg find a support group on Facebook?
    dewmetwokatmewmike1linuxhead64Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    twokatmewtwokatmew Posts: 48unconfirmed, member
    Boo hoo, Zuck. I’m happy to have ATT at last. I turned off app permission to ask, so I don’t even see prompts for permission. 😎
    JaiOh81linuxhead64Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    acejax805acejax805 Posts: 109member
    After using Android for several years, ATT was finally the breaking point for me to switch to iOS (along with some nice features in iOS14). Although a lot of my information is out there now, I'd rather stop the bleeding at this point in time. 
    linuxhead64Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't even fully understand how this is a big issue for Facebook given how much data they already have,  and given that they'll still have access to all the data generated by Facebook itself they're not exactly going dry with an information paucity.  I doubt this will meaningfully impact on their advertising capacity for a good long stretch, by which time they'll have worked out some scuzzy workaround.  They'll be fine, and they'll carry on being creepy for many moons to come.  
    fotoformatlinuxhead64watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Maybe i'll rejoin Facebook now, left awhile ago. On second thought, negative.
    watto_cobra