Apple shutting down Virginia's MacArthur Center store on May 14

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
The Apple Store in the MacArthur Center in Norfolk, Virginia is closing down permanently and follows the shuttering of many prominent stores in the mall.

Apple MacArthur Center (source: Apple)
Apple MacArthur Center (source: Apple)

As previously reported, Apple has been planning to close down its MacArthur Center store in Virginia. The store's own webpage now confirms that the last day will be Friday, May 14.

The notice displayed on Apple MacArthur Center's site
The notice displayed on Apple MacArthur Center's site

The same webpage still includes directions to the store which state that it is "centrally on level 2, opposite Pottery Barn." However, Pottery Barn vacated the mall in January 2019.

At the same time, the center lost Williams-Sonoma, and since then Nordstrom, Forever 21, Banana Republic, and more, have either shuttered or announced plans to close.

Apple's closure means the state of Virginia will be left with eight Apple Stores. The closest to MacArthur Center in the City of Norfolk is Apple Lynnhaven Mall, 14 miles to the east.

Apple Lynnhaven Mall was among the first Apple Stores to reopen after the coronavirus pandemic, and introduce new safety procedures.

Apple MacArthur Center's May 14 announcement was first spotted by 9to5mac.

Apple has previously said that it aims to offer new positions to all its Apple MacArthur Center staff.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    It’s rare an Apple Store closes. This one is obviously because of the state of the mall.

I really hope malls don’t die.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 43unconfirmed, member
    I'm sorry, I had to laugh when it said the next nearest store was 14 miles to the East, here in Indiana,  the only 2 Apple Stores are well over 100 miles apart.  When I bought my M1 Macbook Air in January,  I wanted to pick it up in person and the one in Indianapolis didn't have any,  but the other one in Mishiwaka had it in stock,  so I had to go for a 2 hour drive to pick it up. Not that I had a problem with that at all 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I'm sorry, I had to laugh when it said the next nearest store was 14 miles to the East, here in Indiana,  the only 2 Apple Stores are well over 100 miles apart.  When I bought my M1 Macbook Air in January,  I wanted to pick it up in person and the one in Indianapolis didn't have any,  but the other one in Mishiwaka had it in stock,  so I had to go for a 2 hour drive to pick it up. Not that I had a problem with that at all 

I'd imagine it's all based on population density and demographics. Norfolk has a massive military (and ex-military, retired military) presence as well as a sizeable university population. There would probably be even more Apple Stores in the region if the military exchanges and universities didn't also have their own mini Apple Stores in them. I'm guessing that the 18-38 year old demographic is a pretty good one for Apple products.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    As opposed to having it delivered to the Apple store nearest you?