Amazon partners with Tile to compete with Apple AirTag

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dysamoria said:
    So here’s a great moment to start asking Tile & Amazon why they don’t include any anti-stalking/abuse functionality.

i find it interesting that the Tile product comes with its own keychain loop built in, while Apple’s product requires accessories for that. Is the loop on the Tile product just plastic? Is it easily breakable?

Is the physical design of Apple’s tabs a holdover from minimalist Jony Ive, or is this just overall Apple culture? I suppose the day Apple releases a phone that feels comfortable and secure in my hand without needing a silicone case on it to make it thicker & less slick would answer that for me...
    I doubt you will ever find a smartphone that can take a significant drop without a protective case. 
    At no point did I say anything about helping phones survive drops.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    AI_lias said:
    dysamoria said:
    So here’s a great moment to start asking Tile & Amazon why they don’t include any anti-stalking/abuse functionality.

i find it interesting that the Tile product comes with its own keychain loop built in, while Apple’s product requires accessories for that. Is the loop on the Tile product just plastic? Is it easily breakable?

Is the physical design of Apple’s tabs a holdover from minimalist Jony Ive, or is this just overall Apple culture? I suppose the day Apple releases a phone that feels comfortable and secure in my hand without needing a silicone case on it to make it thicker & less slick would answer that for me...
    I think Apple took a step in that direction, releasing the latest phones without the rounded edge, which made them so easy to slip out of your hand, pocket or from anywhere else you put them. But I'm still not brave enough to not use a case, not when the whole phone needs to be replaced for cracked glass, back or front.
    But is that new edge now too sharp? It’s been a while since I handled my iPhone 4 without its case (originally free from Apple, due to the antenna signal attenuation), so I’m not sure if I ever found that comfortable. It currently has the second of two cases that have fallen apart over the years, and I’m sure I won’t find another. It’s just an iPod at this point, but it’s still needing to be cased for the slipperiness reason (though it’s nowhere as bad as my iPhone 6s).

Anecdote about Apple and sharp edges:

I have my iMac 12,2’s keyboard sitting on the iMac’s stand because it’s a good place to keep the keyboard out of the way when doing things at the desk where the computer sits. I can do some basic typing with it there, if I don’t want to pull it forward. However, the iMac edges are so sharp that this tends to get my skin scraped as my aim is imperfect and my knuckles hit the iMac itself.

Sure, it’s not meant to be a keyboard stand, but why the hell is the computer itself so damned sharp?? It was previously sat close to my Behringer X-Touch control surface, and, when I went to push the iMac back on the desk surface, found that the iMac had literally scraped the paint off of a spot on the X-Touch. Again: why the hell did Apple make this machine SO SHARP EDGED?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Tile should put its new devices on both Apple's and their own "find me" networks (and also Amazon's if they want).  That would help make them more popular, which would also grow their old network, improving the usefulness of their old devices.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,269member
    dysamoria said:

I can’t wait for a Washington Post article on this subject.