Redesigned colored MacBook Air shown off in new renders

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2022
Rendered images of a new MacBook Air redesign with multiple colors said to be based on leaked photos of the product have been showcased in a video by a known leaker.

Apple could bring iMac-like colors to the MacBook Air lineup
Apple could bring iMac-like colors to the MacBook Air lineup

The first run of Macs with custom Apple Silicon retained their old design paradigm and colors to simplify the release process. Apple is expected to redesign future models to bring them in line with the 24-inch iMac with new color choices and off-white bezels around the displays.

The blue MacBook Air is the only Mac Prosser actually saw in photos
The blue MacBook Air is the only Mac Prosser actually saw in photos Image source: Front Page Tech

When Jon Prosser receives images of unreleased products, he generally doesn't share them directly. Instead, he passes along the leaked images to a rendering artist to produce images based on the leaks. This keeps his original source safe in case of incriminating evidence found in the original photos.

Prosser shared the renders of the redesigned MacBook Air and information surrounding the product on his YouTube channel Front Page Tech.

A stack of thin and colorful MacBook Airs according to the render artist. Image Source: Front Page Tech
A stack of thin and colorful MacBook Airs according to the render artist. Image Source: Front Page Tech

The redesigned MacBook Air appears to be similar to the current model with slight modifications. Apple doesn't have much space to make this laptop any thinner, but can improve various design elements to make it more modern. It will be ultra-thin without a wedge-shape, Prosser says, with barely enough thickness to fit the USB-C port.

A slim off-white bezel replaces the black bezel found on the previous MacBook Air models. The muted interior color and off-white bezel keep from throwing off the perceived color accuracy of the display. Prosser's render isn't based on the images he saw, so bezel thickness could change. He did confirm the bezel will be the off-white seen on the 24-inch iMac.

The white bezel and keyboard design mimic those seen on the 24-inch iMac. Image Source: Front Page Tech
The white bezel and keyboard design mimic those seen on the 24-inch iMac. Image Source: Front Page Tech

The photos seen by Prosser were disassembled part images, and not the final constructed product. Using these images, the render artist was able to create an approximate representation of the design. The leaker says that the other colors resemble those found in the 24-inch iMac.

Prosser's history with product leaks has been fairly accurate. So far, any rendered image he claims is based on photographic evidence has been hit or miss. He had previously shown off the AirTag and AirPods Max in this manner with near-perfect renders.

Apple said that the transition to Apple Silicon would take about two years in June 2020. The company is unlikely to release redesigned versions of products already using the M1 processor soon, so expect a redesigned MacBook Air after the Apple Silicon transition is complete -- fall 2022 at the earliest.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get the latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Seems to me more probable, given the iMac design language, that the outer shell of a new MacBook would be the darker shade, with the keyboard surround the pastel colour next to the off white bezel. 
    doozydozenforegoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 53
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will the power cables also come in different colours? If not, ugly.

But I can see that the white bezel matches the white key caps. That works.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,664member
    Such a nasty look. 

They will probably do all one color like the last gen PowerBooks. 

This just looks like something fisher price would make. 

Barf. 

You know you’re in trouble with design when you are just “paying homage” to a past design. 

The great thing about the jellybean iMacs etc. was that they were something not done before and looked like a giant leap forward for their time. 

Not a modern take on a retro theme. 

History wo t look kindly on these - even if there are some who like it now. 

It looks so much like a stopgap thing. 
    DAalsethwilliamlondonmike54hari5
  • Reply 4 of 53
    harry wildharry wild Posts: 808member
    Looks so thin that I would not buy it due to structural problems!  Looks stylish but to thin!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    mike54cgWerks
  • Reply 6 of 53
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Not a fan of the white keyboard. Looks pristine when new but will quickly get grubby with constant use. That and that alone would stop me buying it. 
    I'm not a fan of any keyboard with half size arrow keys. I use those keys a lot. Never liked my MacBook Air for that reason.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    sigma902sigma902 Posts: 16member
    Maybe they are reviving the MacBook or iBook product names with these. Like the MacBook, different from the MacBook Air in thinness, better display, single port and higher price—Retina then, mini LED now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 111member
    I wouldn’t be caught dead using any of those. 
    9secondkox2Zeeblerradarthekatwilliamlondonmike54
  • Reply 9 of 53
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    Well, to be fair, the desktop magic keyboards have had white keys for years. Agree they show the dirt more than the MacBooks but they’re easily cleaned. 
    edited May 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 53
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    At least 3 thunderbolt ports please! And FaceID.
    edited May 2021
  • Reply 11 of 53
    These will be awesomely powered, fun, beautiful consumer machines. They will sell like crazy in the holiday season. Apple is clearly differentiating its consumer and pro lines, which will provide more price flexibility at both the lower and higher priced ends of the spectrum. 

Colorful iPad Airs, iPhone 12s, iMacs, and soon MacBook Airs will signify the consumer end. (I could see the entry iPad renamed iPad SE since it follows the trend of offering a new device with an older design.)
    edited May 2021 Beatsmike1amarkapfastasleepseanjrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    imagine if they used the more saturated darker colors of the imacs, with black bezels and keys. MAGNIFICENT.
    mike1Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    byronlbyronl Posts: 356member
    the white bezels still suck.
    edited May 2021 dee_dee9secondkox2seanj
  • Reply 14 of 53
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 820member
    This looks just about identical to the MacBook 12" but with a larger screen... which is fine by me, since that is my all-time fave design of the Mac laptops. All Apple designs--desktop, laptop, tablet and phone--are unifying in the direction of the minimalist "ideal" form factor, which is a thin rectangular slab. It looks like this is as thin as that slab can get as long as USB-C ports (or a variation) are still needed. 

I'm not sure why people lose their sh*t over the colors since traditional silver or space gray will still be available. Apple isn't forcing you to buy a color, so what's the problem? You're angry because there's more choice even though your choice hasn't been taken away? On the other hand, since their doing colors anyway, why do they all have to be bright pastels? Why not a Carbon edition that's totally blacked out--outer shell, inner shell and keyboard? 

I hope the one port that's visible in the render isn't the ONLY port. Can't believe Apple would make that same mistake twice. And finally: I can't believe the MBA isn't getting this redesign for about another 12-18 months! The MBA design is long in the tooth and the dirty little secret about it's so-call "Air" weight is that it's only 3 ounces lighter than the MBP 13". 

Beatsseanjwilliamlondonhari5StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    byronl said:
    imagine if they used the more saturated darker colors of the imacs, with black bezels and keys. MAGNIFICENT.

I'd consider the Blue if it was the same darker blue from the new iMac. The rendering shown here is a little to pastel-like for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 53
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    charlesn said:
    This looks just about identical to the MacBook 12" but with a larger screen... which is fine by me, since that is my all-time fave design of the Mac laptops. All Apple designs--desktop, laptop, tablet and phone--are unifying in the direction of the minimalist "ideal" form factor, which is a thin rectangular slab. It looks like this is as thin as that slab can get as long as USB-C ports (or a variation) are still needed. 

I'm not sure why people lose their sh*t over the colors since traditional silver or space gray will still be available. Apple isn't forcing you to buy a color, so what's the problem? You're angry because there's more choice even though your choice hasn't been taken away? On the other hand, since their doing colors anyway, why do they all have to be bright pastels? Why not a Carbon edition that's totally blacked out--outer shell, inner shell and keyboard? 

I hope the one port that's visible in the render isn't the ONLY port. Can't believe Apple would make that same mistake twice. And finally: I can't believe the MBA isn't getting this redesign for about another 12-18 months! The MBA design is long in the tooth and the dirty little secret about it's so-call "Air" weight is that it's only 3 ounces lighter than the MBP 13". 

i think adding a “dark” edition will be too many colors to manufacture. Dark colors are probably now being reserved for Pro lines.

I wish they’d bring back the glowing Apple logo though, as an option and with settings so you can control the Apple logo colors.
    seanj
  • Reply 17 of 53
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I use a Bluetooth Apple Magic Keyboard with my MacBook Air when docked, and it has yet to get "grubby" with constant use. As for the color schemes shown above:

fastasleepseanjrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
    200.gif 34.3K
  • Reply 18 of 53
    For God’s sake I hope there’s a space grey version. Silver is nice and the colors are cool and all, but I would prefer a dark option. 
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    The first thing I though of when I saw the render, was: I hope they can fit a 480 camera in that lid.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    The reason many of us don't like the look is because the color selection is rather feminine, and most of us tend to be macho men when it comes to our color preference.  It will appeal to the ladies though, despite the fan white keys are dirt magnets.  Personally, I can see why they will do this for the AIR product, but I do hope they will retain some level of reason about the MacBook Pro, knowing that some of us prefer a darker look overall.
    macapfelwilliamlondonmike54