Twitter adds App Tracking Transparency prompt in latest update

Posted:
in iPhone
Twitter has added a new splash page asking users to enable ad tracking in compliance with new Apple App Tracking Transparency rules in iOS 14.5.

Credit: TwitterCredit: Twitter
Credit: TwitterCredit: Twitter

In version 8.65, Twitter users will begin seeing a new popup asking them to enable ad tracking to "keep ads relevant." Tapping on "Continue" will bring users to Apple's Settings page for ATT.

Apple released iOS 14.5 with ATT on April 26. After that date, all developers on the App Store are required to ask permission from users before tracking them across other websites and apps.

Recent data suggests that only 4% of users will opt in to ad tracking -- though that figure has risen slightly over the past few days -- with roughly 96% asking an app not to track them.

In contrast to companies like Facebook, which has a vocal critic of the feature, Twitter has been relatively quiet. Back in February, Twitter said that ATT would have a "modest impact" on its revenue.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider," and you'll get latest AppleInsider Podcast. Or ask your HomePod mini for "AppleInsider Daily" instead and you'll hear a fast update direct from our news team. And, if you're interested in Apple-centric home automation, say "Hey, Siri, play HomeKit Insider," and you'll be listening to our newest specialized podcast in moments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,821member
    Yeah no. Keep your “relevant” ads. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    A social network that has access to everything I post, like, share, retweet, swipe, and so on (ad nauseaum) shouldn’t need to track me to be able to offer relevant ads.

It’s like my wife having to spy on me so she could buy me a pleasing gift.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    LOLNO

You don't need the app anyway, just delete it and access it through a browser, and don't forget to turn on your adblocker.